U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 05:07 PM

9 posts, read 19,286 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Davenport area. I would like to know what side of town are good areas. I am looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. I have a 13year old daughter. I would like to know what High Schools in the area are good.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 47,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy.weeden View Post
I will be relocating to the Davenport area. I would like to know what side of town are good areas. I am looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. I have a 13year old daughter. I would like to know what High Schools in the area are good.
The safest neighborhoods in Davenport are on the east side town, north of Locust and east of Brady Street. The northeast corner of Davenport (north of Kimberly and east of Jersey Ridge) is probably the best area for avoiding problems.

Davenport schools are a mixed bag. Stay away from Dav North and Dav West, which have the most issues. Dav Central is better, but Assumption (a private Catholic school) has the best reputation in the city. Nearby Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley schools have better academic metrics and far less instances of gang-related incidents.

Keep in mind that eastern Davenport and Bettendorf are more expensive that those areas which have higher crime. There are pockets of safe, quiet neighborhoods around west Davenport which are more affordale...but you can quickly run into enclaves with considerable crime. East Davenport, especially east of Jersey Ridge, is consistently more pleasant.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 AM

4,779 posts, read 6,511,983 times
I'd stay on the west Locust st. side of town, the only real area with problems is central Dav. south of Locust st....and I think West and North are much better than Central. IMHO Central is the last high school I'd want my kids going too. I'm curious as to why the other post says Central is preferable to North and West, as Central is easily the high school with the most problems. North probably having the least problems.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 AM

413 posts, read 1,587,297 times
Actually Central has the fewest problems of the 3 Davenport public high schools. It has the worst rep, because of its central city location, but ask the next cop you see which of the 3 schools has the most problems, and they'll almost certainly say North.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:55 PM

4,779 posts, read 6,511,983 times
I guess it depends on what kind of problems we're talking about, but there's a strong police presence outside central when they let out. Almost a cop on every corner. I haven't noticed the same at West or North, that might have something to do with central having less problems. Makes me wonder why the police were needed in the first place tho'. It's still the last school I'd want to go to if I had a choice.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:25 PM

16 posts, read 47,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'd stay on the west Locust st. side of town, the only real area with problems is central Dav. south of Locust st....and I think West and North are much better than Central. IMHO Central is the last high school I'd want my kids going too. I'm curious as to why the other post says Central is preferable to North and West, as Central is easily the high school with the most problems. North probably having the least problems.
You're basing your opinion on what Davenport was like in 1990s. Over the past 15 years, Central has cleaned up its act while North has become more troubled. West is pretty much what it has always been.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 AM

85 posts, read 348,085 times
I agree with the others, stay north of locust, and further east are the more upscale neighborhoods. I graduated from north. Its no better or worse than any other school. Your daughter can get a good education at any one. High schools are like sports teams, everyone loves there's, and hates the others. None of the high schools here are dangerous. I grew up in Chicago, were you had to walk through metal detectors before you went to class to check for guns. Now that is a school I would not want to go to. Nothing like that here. North is the newest High School. It has had a lot of renovations in the last decade. New gym, auditorium, a YMCA built on to the school. West and Central are fine too.

//www.city-data.com/schools-dirs/schools-IA.html

Heres a link with info on davenport schools.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 9,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Actually Central has the fewest problems of the 3 Davenport public high schools. It has the worst rep, because of its central city location, but ask the next cop you see which of the 3 schools has the most problems, and they'll almost certainly say North.
Yes, please do ask a cop. They will tell you that there are mandatory extra patrols outside of Central every day at dismissal. They have had so many problems that there are now at least 5 or 6 units in the area at the end of every school day. Trust me, I know. There aren't any extra patrols at West or North. You should really avoid painting schools or sections of town with such a broad brush.

There isn't going to be a huge difference in safety at any of the Davenport high schools. They all have a diverse population (compared to Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley) and as a result are going to have more problems to deal with. I have five kids who have graduated from West and they never had a problem. I know other people with kids who have attended Central and North and they have been perfectly happy as well.

You will find that there are pockets of crappy areas spread around the entire city of Davenport. In general, I would stay north of Locust, although the far east side in McClellan Heights is below Locust and is an excellent area. However, there are crappy areas in every direction; north at 53rd and Division and Goose Creek Heights; there is stretch of E. Pleasant or near it just off of Jersey Ridge that has some bad housing; apartments by Dahl Ford off of Kimberly, Castlewood Apartments on Emerald right by Emeis Park on the West side etc. Just take a drive through a neighborhood in the evening and you will get an idea of what it is like. Nearly all apartment complexes are not places I would want to live. Most of the city north of Locust is fine.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 AM

47 posts, read 137,994 times
I recommend Kimberly Club or Winding Hills for your apartment. Winding Hills is a little quieter and nicer, Kimberly Club includes heat and has an indoor pool.
The Kimberly Club location is very nice for trips to anything on Elmore (Target, Best Buy, Kohls, Gordmans, Lowe's, Walmart) and is quite near a grocery store (Schnuck's), Starbucks and Home Depot. Plus it's on the bike path, the entrance is easily accessible.
I can already hear people groaning about me mentioning this place! What you need to know:
+ It's very clean when you move in. Other than new construction, this was the cleanest move-in I've seen.
+ New cabinets, newer carpet.
+ The prices are very reasonable. You may be able to get a townhouse, it's about the same for a 2 br townhome as it is for a 3 br apartment.
+ The apartment itself seems well insulated. We didn't hear neighbors' cabinets or voices once (though you do hear the heavy interior doors when people come in and out of the floor). You can hear the bass if someone in the building cranks it, but most of the noise you're going to get is from outside. (old windows)
- What you see on the tour is what you get. The windows are old, the sliding doors occasionally come off as well as patio screens. These things are least likely to be fixed, though you can call and ask. The maintenance guys were very easy to get along with when I was there (until Oct)
- It's right next to a creek that occasionally floods. I don't recommend living on the bottom floor unless you are at the top of the hill.
- Old windows = drafty place. They pay the heat.
- College kids, lots of college kids. It's not as noisy as you might think, but there's some traffic in and out and weekend nights are dreadful for parking. Townhouses have dedicated parking. No one else does!
+/- They allow dogs, so there are lots of them on the property. We've actually lived there twice, and last time there was issue with people leaving dog waste. The complex has provided collection bags to use when needed and I haven't seen that this time around.

But if you can overlook the annoyances (and bug the apartment complex when you have any issue) then you should be good.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 PM

509 posts, read 1,051,515 times
Just move to Bettendorf or Eldridge and forego all the worry about which is best between Central, North, or West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa