Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times

Advertisements

One other thing to add. Make sure you have good tires on your vehicle and winter is much easier to deal with in Iowa.

Jasper Hobbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblomov222 View Post
I've read more than once (online) that snow is on the ground for six months, etc. Never having been to the midwest, and hearing these things, my mind has been filled with all kinds of horrible images (so you can see how enamored I am of Iowa, since I was still determined to move there). I'm finally starting to realize with help like yours that Iowa is not some no-man's-land where a different breed of people lives.

I've heard great things about Coralville. It seems like it's not dominated by college students (nothing against them). I know it's a suburb of Iowa City, and I am totally persuaded by your points about suburbs. But it sounds like Coralville might have a lot of single people and other people without families, etc. Do you have any sense of Coralville?

Regarding Cedar Rapids, when I do an apartment search, what areas are the best areas? I'll be involved in a job search (general office, tech support, clerical), and if I end up working in Cedar Rapids (which seems likely), I might just decide to live there. I have in the past lived walking distance from my job, and for me living so close to work is a hard-to-beat advantage.

Thanks again! Your comments have had a huge effect on my thinking, my enthusiasm, and my decision-making process! I appreciate it more than I can say.
I'm actually from Coralville - birth to 22 years of age, and my entire family has been there since my grandparents moved to Coralville back in 1955.

It is a "suburb" of Iowa City, but that said there are only really two suburbs (Coralville and North Liberty), and Coralville has around 20,000 people to Iowa City's 70,000 people. You can't really tell the difference between the two cities, Iowa City just turns into Coralville as you move to the northwest for the most part. Coralville is an awesome town, clean, good finances, safe, growing, etc. I loved growing up in Coralville, and it has some of the more wealthy areas of the metro, but honestly there's nothing that much better about Coralville that you can't find in Iowa City. They're basically the same thing. I would only recommend Iowa City because it has more walkable, established and tree lined neighborhoods.

It might help to know what you're looking for as far as viewpoints, etc. You said you want a mix of conservative and liberal viewpoints as opposed to just liberal. Iowa City would be more liberal and Cedar Rapids more a mix - although Cedar Rapids is a bit more stagnant and "blah", while Iowa City tends to be more progressive and lively as far as culture. I've always liked Cedar Rapids a lot, there's nothing wrong with the city, it just never seemed to have a "dream" or a sense that the city is striving for the future and going anywhere. One thing I liked growing up in Iowa City, and I've seen this a lot in Des Moine the past decade or so, is that sort of "what next!?" attitude towards the future. It's not a total in-your-face lets go go go situation, just a healthy desire to move forward. Many places in Iowa it seems have lost that flicker in the past 30 years or so when the state started to lose its momentum.

Ok - I've had a drink or two and am babbling, ha.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,733 times
If you really want to move to a wonderfull place to live in Iowa. Then you need to live like most of us in small towns and drive to the city if we need to for work exc. The best place to live is Independence the town often makes me think of the movies. Why because life in this town is like a movie. The stores you shop get to know you, they do movies for free in the park outside by the river. They also do free music in the park as well on fri nights. Young and old some dance some just watch other play ball. They have old style main st with shops of all kinds including a coffee shop that employees the mentally challenged how many movies does that biring to mind? They have at least a mile walk way along the river with a free loading dock. Go ahead leave the keys in your car, don't have to lock a door to house for that matter. The people are kind just like most anywhere in Iowa. They have a beautiful new library with wonderfull sitting areas to read inside or outside. I know Iowa as this Iowa City is more like bolder C.O. it has It's own way of life. Cedar Rapids will be just what you would expect it's a city good and bad. Low crime, nice people, and good job options. I think you would miss out on life if you move here and don't live in the most wonderfull town of Independence you'll be happy you did when 4th of july comes and the parade starts downtown and continues with music and entertainment in the park by the river and finish's the day with fireworks over the water. Try looking up on kwwl our local news they do stories on our towns that will be usefull for you.

Last edited by got to be sweetlife; 12-17-2011 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-17-2011, 07:40 AM

586 posts, read 2,184,774 times
I've been to Independence and could vouch for it being a great town, but correction: "most of us" don't live in small towns any longer. Nearly 2/3rd's of the population of Iowa now live in metro areas.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Small town life is great for some, but it's not for me. I love living in the middle of everything, and like my 15 minutes in-town commute to work.

I live in Des Moines and there are free movies and music in the summer here, too! Don't have to drive to a small town for that. I actually like going to stores and being annonymous, I don't care if the people working there know me. I prefer if they don't sometimes!

Vally Junction in West Des Moines is an example of a cool "main street style" shopping area. They have events all year round, like farmers markets with vendors and live music in the summer and holiday open house events at Christmas time. No need to drive to a small town for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa