U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 AM

19 posts, read 40,785 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate to Iowa next year and am just curious what is typically done with outdoor pets during the Iowa winters? I have an outdoor cat that has never seen snow and he's not conducive to converting to an indoor cat. How do I keep him from becoming a kittycicle in the Iowa winters? I dont know that a garage would afford him enough shelter/warmth when it's below zero outside. Any information suggestions would be great. My son would be heartbroken if we didnt take his cat when we relocate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,450,880 times
The cat will learn quickly that indoors>outdoors when it's butt ass cold outside.

Outdoor pets either freeze to death, or they come indoors somewhere at least semi warm (depending on the situation).

Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 PM

509 posts, read 1,052,640 times
That's actually not true. There are plenty of "farm cats" or even completely feral cats that do not freeze to death, and they are never let inside a house. They definitely need a place to get out of the elements, especially the wind.

We had an outside dog in Iowa. We hooked her up with a 3x3 cubbyhole built into a shed, with insulation around the outside; doggy door on the outside to keep the wind out and blankets to curl up in. That worked really well. We would still let her inside when it got to be REALLY cold, like -15 or less.

lol @ butt ass cold

Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 PM

135 posts, read 361,093 times
Sheesh, your cats must all be wimps,, either that or I somehow ended up with a breed that escaped from an antarctic research base.
I dont even like cats, yet somehow I have acquired an ever expanding herd of indestructible super kitties !
I was nice to one lost cat,,, then it exploded one day and now I have seven of the damn things !

They get one meal a day and a plywood box/cathouse to crash in that resides on the back porch, and no it is not heated.
If they want more to eat they have to supplement it themselves from the local rodent or bird population.
They attempt to butter me up hoping for more welfare handouts with ankle polishings or by leaving the occasional rodent or bird carcass on the doorstep for a friendship offering.
But I hold fast on the one a day rule, and yes its whatever happens to be chinas cheapest at the local wally world.

No "pussycats" around here, its survival of the fittest or a no frills rubbermaid trash can funeral for ya.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 26,599 times
I've had plenty of outdoor only cats in Iowa. At my old house we had an uninsulated gargage/shed that they slept in, we did put cat beds in there. They got in and out through a dug out area near the door. Where we live now we have one outdoor only cat that lives in a regular doghouse, with a cat bed in it to help keep her warm in the winter. It does get cold in the winter but she survives just fine.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 PM

19 posts, read 40,785 times
Well, I think our Sox will fare just fine. I have a dogloo that isnt being used that I will jsut convert to a catloo with some bedding and blankets or put him a kitty door to the garage. Thanks for the tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa