U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 20,020 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the insight. My husbands job would actually be in cedar falls. He left this morning for Iowa, for an interview on Monday. Can't wait to hear from him and how he likes it down there. I know he wouldn't mind a small commute to work every day; that's why it is so helpful to hear from people regarding different areas around cedar falls. You mention the bustle of cedar rapids; -is it just bigger and faster there? I have to look look it up; not too familiar with cedar rapids. Is it still a fairly nice place to live though and raise a family. We are kind of leaning toward living in cedar falls (it just sounds quaint and small and safe and all those things); I guess I'll wait to hear what hubby has to report back from his trip. Thanks again for all the wonderful insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,291 times
Default Let's talk plainly, here

I have lived in W/CF area for over 30 years. I was not born or raised here. W/CF is a great place to live, and not as bad as the posters here will have you believe. Waterloo has a wonderful old, small-town feel to the neighborhoods. Yes, there are some places that are not as nice as others, but what town doesn't have that? CF is a little wild around the college, but out in the 'real' neighborhoods, it is quaint and beautiful. Both cities have old homes that have been here for a hundred years or more. Both cities have new developments. Both cities have shopping centers, business districts, and quiet streets. Both cities have fantastic school systems. There are other wonderful cities in Iowa, and depending on what you are looking for, would be a great fit for any lifestyle.

If you're looking for a little out-of-town community, there are several to choose from that are less than a 20-minute commute. D-i-k-e is a small town just 15 minutes from CF that is slow and relaxed and laid-back. It is one of my favorite places to visit. Reinbeck (20 min) is also slow and relaxed. It has a little larger Main Street area and is great. Traer (20 min) is fresh and a little more lively, but a beautiful town. The exact same thing can be said for LaPorte City (15 min), Evansdale (5 min), Elk Run (5 min), Waverly (20 min), and others. Small town feel, laid-back atmosphere, and great people.

I've never lived in Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Iowa City or Dubuque, so I can't really give an opinion of those towns. To be honest, if I go by the news, I can say the same negative things I've read here about W/CF. But, I also know Iowans and know that where ever someone lives, there are wonderful communities, great people and just-what-you're-looking-for business centers.

Welcome to Iowa! I think you'll love it here. And even if your stay is a shorter one, you'll make life-long friends here.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 20,154 times
In all "fairness" to Waterloo, and I am very familiar with the area, when looking at crime rates and poverty, etc., it should be pointed out that Waterloo, Cedar Falls, and Evansdale are basically one town of 110,000, Waterloo having the old "core" downtown. The statistics reported should be blended between the three towns, really. They share the same newpaper, the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier (WCFcourier.com is the Waterloo-Cedar Falls homepage for all local news, sports, entertainment and events happening in the Cedar Valley), common radio and TV stations, common roads and streets, etc. Also, look at the fact that, according to www.city-data.com, Waterloo gains a worker population of 13,000 daily, while Cedar Falls gains just 46, it looks like Waterloo would be the core of a larger geographic area, or is pulling in CF residents to work.

Waterloo proper does have a lot of nice areas to live, parks, etc. with the advantages of the Univ. of Northern Iowa. When deciding to live there (or not) please keep this in mind. Also, there are many options in the smaller towns surrounding W-CF that are connected by four-lane highways, such as Waverly, Janesville, Denver, ****, Hudson, Jesup, Independence, to name more than a few. I would say that most of the victims of Waterloo's "high crime" are NOT those who travel there for work.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:12 PM

5,776 posts, read 14,206,963 times
Default Just an observation

Not from the area. Just surfing and ran across your post, Outtastate. Just wanted to say, God love ya. From your description of yourselves, sounds as if the world needs more people like you. Best of luck with your move.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,075 times
The descriptions you have received are very interesting, mostly accurate, but rather hard on Waterloo. The cities blur together. The south/west side of Waterloo is very similar to CF. As you move further North and East you will hit some lower income areas that deal with violence. Which is no different than the larger communities mentioned above.

There are lots of good people, even in the low income areas. My heart is to see the Church step up and make a difference for these people. That's why we started Bridge of Hope. There are many churches united in this desire and making a difference (see Love Cedar Valley).

Hope you enjoy the move.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 624 times
That bit about the churches in Waterloo / Cedar Falls being united and wanting to see lives changed is a stinking lie. Try contacting them about anything that requires real action and dedication to the gospel work...you won't even get a response. The area has a lot of stuffy, snotty attitudes, which makes for a generally very unfriendly and clickly place to live. If all you want is to hang with your own family and tiny group of friends you've know all your life, and only want food and noise...this is the place for you. If you want intellectual and decent and clean activities like writers groups, non-occult board games, real book discussions and movie discussions, etc....you might really want to think twice before coming here. And, if you a single Christian, you better seek and search like looking for a needle in a haystack to find true born-again candidates.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:26 PM

2,076 posts, read 689,776 times
Well wherever the OP ended up they’ve been there for 11 years as that’s how old this post is.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:47 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,560,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Well wherever the OP ended up they’ve been there for 11 years as that’s how old this post is.

Yeah, weird. Jane123Doe123's first post on CD is a reply to an 11 year old post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or