U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 20,021 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to Waterloo/Cedar Falls area from Ohio. We hear that folks in Iowa are friendly but reserved. We're down to earth types who can maneuver in any social circle, but for the most part are practical folks who drive used cars, shop for bargains and spend lot of time focusing on raising our children right. As individuals we're friendly, hard working, independent, go to church on Sundays, tolerant of the views of others but don't like people who try to force their agendas on us. We like to be involved in the community but we also like our privacy and like to keep to ourselves when it suits our purpose. We distain pretentious people - those always trying to impress with obvious displays of wealth, latest fashions, and keeping up with the Joneses, etc.... What you see is what you get with us. We're professionals, but we don't live for the rat race. We prefer a slower pace of life where you can have a career AND stop and smell the roses - and have the time to appreciate what's really important. We have a child with special needs, and are wondering if Ioawans are accepting of special needs children.... and if we would fit in. Do natives eventually warm up to out of stater's like us? We know some friends who moved to the South and said that Northerners (Yankees) aren't accepted until they've lived in a community for generations. Any advice?

Last edited by outtastate; 07-04-2007 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Moving to Iowa. What's it like there?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:02 AM

1,391 posts, read 3,560,919 times
Default I'm just guessing..

but did you choose Waterloo area specifically, because of cheap housing, and such? There are nicer areas of the state to live in... Waterloo is one of the more run down and economically depressed areas of state. Cedar Falls is better, but still close to and somewhat effected by Waterloo problems. If you look at the demographics for Waterloo you will see that by Iowa standards, it is somewhat racially diverse. Like most "diverse" cities, it has higher than normal crime stats, and some gang problems that some locals are in denial about.
Just telling you honestly. Iowa is an OK choice for relocation, but I'd look at Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, or Sioux City (in that order) before Waterloo/CF.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 AM

3,376 posts, read 12,308,275 times
I would agree...Waterloo would not be a choice of mine, unless I specifically was offered a job there that I could not find elsewhere. Iowa City, the quad cities, Des Moines....much better. School systems are excellent in IC and DSM i know, but i bet they are probably good in a lot of towns up there.

If you have a special needs child, I would choose a city based on the school system and not much else....that will affect you for 21+ years so you want to make sure you have a good school system that will work with you and not give you a battle for years to come.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtastate View Post
We're thinking of moving to Waterloo/Cedar Falls area from Ohio. We hear that folks in Iowa are friendly but reserved. We're down to earth types who can maneuver in any social circle, but for the most part are practical folks who drive used cars, shop for bargains and spend lot of time focusing on raising our children right. As individuals we're friendly, hard working, independent, go to church on Sundays, tolerant of the views of others but don't like people who try to force their agendas on us. We like to be involved in the community but we also like our privacy and like to keep to ourselves when it suits our purpose. We distain pretentious people - those always trying to impress with obvious displays of wealth, latest fashions, and keeping up with the Joneses, etc.... What you see is what you get with us. We're professionals, but we don't live for the rat race. We prefer a slower pace of life where you can have a career AND stop and smell the roses - and have the time to appreciate what's really important. We have a child with special needs, and are wondering if Ioawans are accepting of special needs children.... and if we would fit in. Do natives eventually warm up to out of stater's like us? We know some friends who moved to the South and said that Northerners (Yankees) aren't accepted until they've lived in a community for generations. Any advice?
Not True, Iowa is a great place to live and the Cedar Falls-Waterloo area is great.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,906 times
Default Moving Into Iowa

Our family moved here 12 years ago. You will find people trustworthy, honest and friendly. Most will give you the shirt off their back to help.
A conservative community mostly; however there are those that may be very liberal but far and few. Agriculture drives the state with a lare teck section and growing.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:22 PM

100 posts, read 499,900 times
Let me start by saying that I would NOT choose Waterloo, either. The job opportunities are very limited there. The crime is higher than other cities in Iowa, and it has a general reputation as the place people are "leaving", not "moving to".

Based on the description given, I think that you will fit in nicely in most parts of the state. Iowans are warm and friendly, and are generally known to be supportive of families and community.

Speaking from my experience, I think that you would enjoy living in Dubuque (where I do). Its a very family-oriented city, and has seen tremendous job growth in recent years (22nd-fastest NATIONALLY). It was also named as one of the "100 Best Communities for young people" this year. We have many outdoor activities, attractions, parks, and of course, the Mississippi River to keep you busy.

If you are looking elsewhere, I would recommend you consider other cities in the following order:
* Des Moines suburbs (more expensive than most places, and getting into the "rat race", but still very nice)
* Cedar Rapids (good economy, safe, affordable, not much to do, though)
* Iowa City (good economy, a very large student population, however)
* Davenport (lots to do, higher crime, though)
* Waterloo (My advice: go somewhere else!!: high crime, losing jobs, dirty, nothing to do)

Old 07-05-2007, 03:59 PM

116 posts, read 313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtastate View Post
I grew up 30 minutes out of Waterloo, and I have to say that since I left Iowa (for Minneapolis) 8 years ago, NOTHING has changed in that city. It is still run down, the downtown is still relatively empty, not much opportunity, population is declining, etc. My sister goes to school there, and she can't WAIT to leave Waterloo.

As far as how your child will be treated...I will say that Iowans are pretty swell people. They will accept your child, but will be wary. Iowans arent swift in accepting people 100%, but they put on a great front.

Just an example of that mentality...I am 26 and can STILL name all the students that I graduated with that moved to my hometown from out-of-state. I was very close to a few of them, but I ALWAYS saw them as non-Iowans. Goes to show how ingrained that mentality is... Oh well.

With all that said...MOVE TO DES MOINES. Dubuque ain't bad for what your'e looking for either.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 02:43 PM

681 posts, read 2,824,906 times
I'm going to be contrary here and say that Waterloo/Cedar Falls may be a good choice for you.

Obviously, W-CF has problems; I'm not going to sugarcoat that. However, it's still a good community in my view. However, Cedar Falls is a nice city, and unfairly gets roped in with Waterloo on a lot of these issues.

If I may make some assumptions, you seem like a fairly conservative, laid-back family seeking a community much the same. W-CF is those things, without the bustle of Des Moines or Cedar Rapids or the crazy student-driven activity of Iowa City. Not to mention that W-CF has good schools. good healthcare, and neighborhoods that are as safe as any in Iowa. Also, living in the area you'd have the resources of UNI (which has an excellent education program, btw) and is obviously something that other cities can't offer.

Just something to consider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or