U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 16,669 times

Advertisements

hello i'm zuri with a background of american+ african(tanzanian), i've been reading alot about dubuque, and i'm kind of scared and confused with all the post on this forum. i'm planning on moving to dubuque, Got a position with ibm moving in next year, but the salary scale is very depressing rythm $20,000 - 30,000 wow is this for real , i need to know about good schools since i'm a family person with kids. looking to live in a nice and quiet area since i'm moving from atlanta suwanee area , need info about multinational churches like joel osten kind of church setting, i know i have lots of request hope someone will help , looking to know good hair salons since i'm a black person african (tanzanian)and i'm also into fashion , how are the malls lol i hope there are malls or good ones to buy trendy outfits etc one last thing how is the african network how strong or weak is it
Rate this post positively

Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,659,563 times
zuri - If you are moving from an upscale suburb in Atlant your living expenses will be much less in Dubuque. I wouldn't worry too much about the low salary. If I were you I'd find a place on the west end. It is clean, modern and has good schools. If you are really into high end fasion, I don't think you'll find it in Dubuque, or anyplace in Iowa. Good luck with that. But Dubuque is a good place to raise kids and live. And for the size of Dubuque there is a lot to do and explore. Not to mention Chicago is only 2 hours away if you really need something in a big city. Good luck with your new job!

Last edited by El Rhino; 11-09-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Mercruiserdr - do you speak english?

zuri - If you are moving from an upscale suburb in Atlant your living expenses will be much less in Dubuque. I wouldn't worry too much about the low salary. If I were you I'd find a place on the west end. It is clean, modern and has good schools. If you are really into high end fasion, I don't think you'll find it in Dubuque, or anyplace in Iowa. Good luck with that. But Dubuque is a good place to raise kids and live. And for the size of Dubuque there is a lot to do and explore. Not to mention Chicago is only 2 hours away if you really need something in a big city. Good luck with your new job!

Thank you very much zz4guy, i would research about the west end then, so you did not say anything about the malls, any malls at all if it is not even high end fashion at least there can be stores like express and newyork and co sorry for asking to much is there a kolhs ? anyways thanks

Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,659,563 times
I believe they have stores like JCPenney, Sears, maybe Younkers, all similar to Kohls. Nothing high end, but you aren't going to find high end in Iowa. There is one mall out on the west end. I don't know much about it but I would imagine it is getting bigger and better because the west end is experiencing a lot of growth.

PS another thing you will love about Dubuque is the traffic situation. I shutter to think what rush hour is like in Atlanta. When I lived in Dubuque my commute was 10 minutes and I drove from the west end to the north end. It's pretty easy to get around.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,534,653 times
This is crazy. My mother's best friend's son (from the Quad Cities in Eastern Iowa - they still live there) married a woman from Zimbabwe (they met in Iowa, though.. they were both instructors at a local college). His wife LOVES the Quad Cities. My own mother is African-American and grew up in Davenport (my dad's white, FWIW; they met in HS, actually, but didn't get back together until years after college ) and loved it there and never had *any* 'racial' incidents whatsoever, even back in the '60s (indeed, we're not talking about the Southern US, here).

But anyway - what are you expecting? Everyone in overalls? I honestly think if you control for socioeconomic status/income, the residents of Iowa are better-dressed than the slobby, couldn't-care-less-about-fashion bureaucrats who inhabit the suburbs of DC. Dubuque is a cool little town - normal, upper-middle-class suburbs, a cute/artsy downtown, and everything in between. Chicago is very close to Dubuque, too.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM

5,479 posts, read 10,860,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuri smith View Post
hello i'm zuri with a background of american+ african(tanzanian), i've been reading alot about dubuque, and i'm kind of scared and confused with all the post on this forum. i'm planning on moving to dubuque, Got a position with ibm moving in next year, but the salary scale is very depressing rythm $20,000 - 30,000 wow is this for real , i need to know about good schools since i'm a family person with kids. looking to live in a nice and quiet area since i'm moving from atlanta suwanee area , need info about multinational churches like joel osten kind of church setting, i know i have lots of request hope someone will help , looking to know good hair salons since i'm a black person african (tanzanian)and i'm also into fashion , how are the malls lol i hope there are malls or good ones to buy trendy outfits etc one last thing how is the african network how strong or weak is it
Madison WI is 90 miles and about a 2 hour drive away. The NW suburbs of Chicago are about 2 1/2 -3 hours away- Schaumburg Mall with Nordstroms and lots of good shopping. I like Dubuque, it has a unique appearance with the river and the bluffs. It's also close to lots of good State Parks to go hiking in. Midwestern Summers will be less hot and humid than Georgia's making it easier to get out & about. I also find Iowans to be friendly down to earth people.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Thanks Everybody, i really appreciate the info and all , i will surely research more about the west end since it sounded like some place i might want to live considering me coming from a nice surburb in georgia. yes what about churches, pentecostal kind anybody have any info about that?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM

681 posts, read 2,835,621 times
She didn't say anything about being scared of the people of Iowa. She just said she was scared and confused by some of the posts on here.

If I were going to take a job at IBM Dubuque, I'd be a little scared too. Several posters have mentioned problems and high-turnover going on there.

If I were moving to a place where people that looked like I look made up 1.2% of the population, I'd be a little scared too. Being scared about fitting in is not unreasonable. It doesn't mean you're scared about the people in town or that you think you're going to get jumped or something, just that you're scared of not fitting in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa