Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

I would think you would do just fine in Des Moines regardless of your political beliefs. Iowa seems to have representation from both sides of the political spectrum and everything in between. (Even my family in Iowa represents this). I am not sure which suburb or area of Des Moines is more Republican or more Democratic, but I think you will probably be able to find people who agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM

7 posts, read 7,561 times
Why would you want to shelter yourself from other ways of thinking? I think it makes life a lot more interesting. I'd say pick the place you like the most aesthetically and live there. Iowa City is pretty nice, especially in the summer when most of the louder students are back at home.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:29 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
I think Iowa is more Conservative socially (minus the obviously liberal cities), and Progressive politically.

It should not matter anyway, people who argue the Democrat vs. Republican paradigm vehemently are sheep distracted from the real issues by flashy TV ads and debates.

The battle in this country is not left vs. right... it is up vs. down.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 PM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
I agree, party politics are pretty much a sham...two sides of the same coin.

That said, however, politics is pretty important to me. I've considered Cedar Rapids or Des Moines for a job (assuming there is any economy left when I graduate university lol) and I fall on the side of pretty liberal but not bleeding heart San Francisco style. I am big into sustainability and environmentalism but way moderate, possibly even rightest on issues such as immigration. I am wondering if I would feel comfortable in these areas? I'm sure I can make friends regardless of my political persuasion but local and state policies are a big deal to me since they are far more likely to affect me personally.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post

That said, however, politics is pretty important to me. I've considered Cedar Rapids or Des Moines for a job (assuming there is any economy left when I graduate university lol) and I fall on the side of pretty liberal but not bleeding heart San Francisco style. I am big into sustainability and environmentalism but way moderate, possibly even rightest on issues such as immigration. I am wondering if I would feel comfortable in these areas? I'm sure I can make friends regardless of my political persuasion but local and state policies are a big deal to me since they are far more likely to affect me personally.

I think you would like Des Moines more than Cedar Rapids... more urban style living there, and urban areas tend to be more liberal than rural/the burbs. Iowa was a blue state last presidential election, so you shouldn't feel to out of place.

How set on Iowa are you? Minneapolis sounds to be up your alley.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I think you would like Des Moines more than Cedar Rapids... more urban style living there, and urban areas tend to be more liberal than rural/the burbs. Iowa was a blue state last presidential election, so you shouldn't feel to out of place.

How set on Iowa are you? Minneapolis sounds to be up your alley.
Iowa was my accepted first choice because its closer to my location of origin (Galesburg, IL) and less extreme of a climate than anywhere in Minnesota. Although Minneapolis is definitely not off the list. I'm not sure about cost of living between Des Moines and Minneapolis, I am going to guess Minneapolis is more expensive?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Iowa was my accepted first choice because its closer to my location of origin (Galesburg, IL) and less extreme of a climate than anywhere in Minnesota. Although Minneapolis is definitely not off the list. I'm not sure about cost of living between Des Moines and Minneapolis, I am going to guess Minneapolis is more expensive?

Thanks for your help.
Minneapolis would definitely be more expensive, and Des Moines is a great city, but if you want it to offer the urban exciting lifestyle you want to be in East Village or Court Ave. There isn't a lot of urban living in Des Moines compared to other cities, but it is quality where it does exist.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:

Yes, Des Moines would be fine if you were "blue, and Cedar Rapids would be as well. Cedar Rapids is more quiet on the political scene (at least from what I gathered from growing up in the area for 22 years). People have views, but it never seemed to be as in-your-face as many areas. Your views were more respected as your views - and that there was nothing wrong with that.

That said though, Des Moines and Cedar Rapids both swing democratic in almost every election, as does the Iowa City whos northern fringes are only about 12 miles south of Cedar Rapids' southern fringes.

Results:

Iowa City & Suburbs:
Obama: 70%
McCain: 29%

Cedar Rapids & Suburbs:
Obama: 60%
McCain: 39%

Des Moines & Suburbs:
Obama: 57%
McCain: 42%

Cedar Rapids voted Obama by a 2-1 margin, Iowa City by over 3-1.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 PM

333 posts, read 704,843 times
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Having spent decades in both states, the notion that winter is worse in Minneapolis is a little bit of a myth, to say the least. The temperature difference between here and DSM is about five degrees on average and we get an additional 7-10 days tacked onto either side of winter. Apart from that, summers are actually a little better here (slightly less hot and humid).

One big difference is that the extra five degrees of cold (on average) means that we very, very rarely get the messy winter "tweener" weather here that areas further south have to deal with. I haven't scraped ice from my driveway...ever...and I've been here since '98. When Iowa gets an ice storm, here it just snows.

There is also far more to do here during winter, indoors obviously but particularly outdoors. Winter in places like Iowa, Nebraska and Illinois sucks because the weather is just about as bad there as anywhere else, but those states lack most/all of the recreation options that you have in other cold weather states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, the northeast, etc.

Cost of living in the Twin Cities is appreciably higher than in the Des Moines area, absolutely. It's a major metropolitan area so of course it's more expensive. More demand = higher housing cost (and higher wages, naturally).

There are loads of reasons why a person might choose to live in Des Moines rather than the Twin Cities, but weather is probably the least rational among them.

Last edited by DirtMagurt; 03-15-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
I agree. I wouldn't put the weather very high in your equation when making your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa