U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 AM

9,257 posts, read 17,871,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Lake Wobegon only exists on PBS. There is no similar place on this planet.

I've settled in Chicago for the duration (my duration): not a bad place to live, lots going on, but be careful on the subways.

If I were 30 years younger, I would consider the NorthWest: Portland, Spokane, Seattle, Vancouver CA.
I don't know the current cost of living in Seattle, but with its mix of sea and land, I remember it as a very attractive city.
All very, very helpful information for someone specifically looking for a small town in Iowa. I guess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,614,471 times
^^^ I nearly snorted up/inhaled my coffee at that one. ^^^

Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM

5,239 posts, read 7,095,070 times
What I thought Zea Mays was saying by referencing the fictional Lake Webegon was that there are no perfect places in Iowa or anywhere else. And of course that's true though people still search for their own little Mayberry. Even in the safest of towns these days ya should keep a close eye on your kids and keep your doors locked. Much of how perfect it is depends on ones own individual life, no matter where ya live. As far as the other bits, people do tend to ramble about where they ended up and where they would consider living if things were different. I think people's minds tend to wander and reflect when reading and responding to these kind of topics. Nothing wrong with a bit of innocent off topic rambling, everyone is guilty of that on CD.

Personally, I think the Decorah area is very pretty. In my opinion the eastern part of Iowa is prettier than the southwestern part where I live. Grinnell looks like a nice community too, and not all that far from Des Moines, which can be handy.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:44 AM

17 posts, read 37,102 times
There is only one city to live in Iowa...Des Moines :-D. The Quad Cities make me feel dirty, and though Cedar Rapids is fine, the roads there are HORRIBLE...and Iowa City as pretty much stolen the retail destination scene from CR.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 AM

9,257 posts, read 17,871,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4starcashier View Post
There is only one city to live in Iowa...Des Moines :-D. The Quad Cities make me feel dirty, and though Cedar Rapids is fine, the roads there are HORRIBLE...and Iowa City as pretty much stolen the retail destination scene from CR.
Which is a perfectly appropriate response to "Looking for the perfect small town in Iowa!". I guess.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:18 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,614,471 times
^^^ LOL!
Judging by the original op's intent & by Iowa standards & those of many small to mid-sized states, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids & Davenport are not "small towns". In that order they are in fact the 3 largest cities in the state.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,886 times
Default Avoid SW Iowa

Decorah is by far the best option as far as small towns go. i love the: Art Tour, Film Festival, and Nordic Fest! Plus the scenery is gorgeous and big cities like Minneapolis and Milwaukee aren't that far away. Luther College usually does a great job of bringing in some wonderful speakers throughout the year too. I love the Oneota Food Coop there too!!

I would caution anyone thinking of moving to most parts of SW Iowa: Anita, Atlantic, Griswold, etc., as they look like they're past their expiration date-lots of empty, rundown buildings, and poorly maintained houses. Something like 12% of Cass County's population lives below the poverty line and my guesstimate is that an equal percentage hovers just above it. I also got the impression that the people don't care too much for outsiders in these parts. But there's a great bakery in Walnut!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:21 AM

9,655 posts, read 9,209,668 times
^^^^^^^
Decorah? Might be ok if you can find a job or have a good retirement income...Stay out of New Hampton, they are almost as close-minded and inbred as Osage is......

Old 03-06-2015, 08:46 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,623,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanventure View Post
Decorah is by far the best option as far as small towns go. i love the: Art Tour, Film Festival, and Nordic Fest! Plus the scenery is gorgeous and big cities like Minneapolis and Milwaukee aren't that far away. Luther College usually does a great job of bringing in some wonderful speakers throughout the year too. I love the Oneota Food Coop there too!!

I would caution anyone thinking of moving to most parts of SW Iowa: Anita, Atlantic, Griswold, etc., as they look like they're past their expiration date-lots of empty, rundown buildings, and poorly maintained houses. Something like 12% of Cass County's population lives below the poverty line and my guesstimate is that an equal percentage hovers just above it. I also got the impression that the people don't care too much for outsiders in these parts. But there's a great bakery in Walnut!
Western Iowa is decaying faster than a Plutonium-233 isotope. Unless you get an offer you can't refuse (or were willed a nice tract of land), I'd heavily advise living anywhere west of Highway 169.

Loess Hills excepted, the eastern part of the state is by far the most scenic. Maybe a town like Waukon would be a decent option. There isn't much to the town in and of itself, but it is in arguably the most picturesque part of the state (Iowa portion of the Driftless Area) and isn't *too* far from La Crosse, WI. It's easily the largest metro within an hour drive. It's probably the go-to place for dining, employment, retail, and entertainment for the extreme northeastern part of the state.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 AM

991 posts, read 1,541,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanventure View Post

Of course, if you move there, you're no longer an outsider!

Does the same apply to Shenandoah, Clarinda or Red Oak? Those are the SW Iowa small towns I'm considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa