U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:48 AM

30 posts, read 149,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
The entire Cornell campus is on the National Registry of Historic places. Cornell College Profile | Fast Facts - About Cornell - Cornell College
Hi again Griz !
Thank-you so much for the link to Cornell College ! I really enjoyed reading about it ! I can't wait to get back and walk around the entire campus !
Have a great weekend !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 AM

33 posts, read 91,969 times
Default Fairfield

Quote:
Hi Lauger60,
Thank-you again for those great suggestions !! I have been to all three and liked them alot- Spencer was wonderful, We visited a glass blowing studio which was fascinating ! I loved their downtown area too ! I was warned by a lot of residents that the winters there are brutal !! (I guess it gets very windy there !) I was only in Boone about a half hour, I stopped at a great bakery there ! I always try out the bakery in every town (very important !)
Boone seemed to be a nice town, I would love to re-visit it !

Quote:
Many people suggested Fairfield so I checked it out, It was hard for me to get a feel for the place ? I was told about the strange "dynamics" between the locals and the "Maharishis". I don't know if it's true, but I don't want to live in a place where there is underlying tension ! If anybody can tell me more about Fairfield I would appreciate it ! I'm only going by what others have told me ?
Well, Thank-you again Lauger, Enjoy your weekend , I don't know if you're in Iowa ?, But I hear it's going to be a VERY cold weekend !
Take Care ! Jodi
As for Fairfield, I haven't heard anything about tension between the ones that meditate and the ones that don't. It is a subculture with the Maharishi residents, but I don't think they think of themselves as a religious group but just share meditation and a healthy "granola" type lifestyle.

I think Iowa is windy everywhere, but it is a bit more windy by Spencer. It's a bit colder too. Northwest is windiest and southeast is least windy. It may have to do with somewhat flatter terrain and less timber stands.

Boone and Ames both have Dutch bakeries that have those tasty pastries, especially the ones with the almond paste!

I am bracing for the cold because we're going from about a 55 degree swell of relative heat yesterday to -5 below, not including windchill, by tomorrow morning!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 AM

Thank-you again Lauger60 for that info on Fairfield , I will look at it in a more positive way !
Talking about those bakeries has made me hungry !! We don't have a good bakery for miles from where I live now !! : (
I cancelled plans to visit Iowa this weekend ( I wanted to attend some Christmas festivities in a couple of towns) I think I made the right decision!! The cold didn't worry me , I just thought the roads might be bad , and I didn't want to deal with them in a "rental" car !!!! : )
Well, Thank-you again for your thoughts ! I really appreciate it !

Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Default Winter weather

It is a wise decision to cancel for safety's sake. Maybe you could go to some tulip festivals this spring or something to make up for it. It is time to hunker down and get cosy inside here in Iowa. It's perfect for tv, fireplaces, and warm festive drinks!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauger60 View Post
It is a wise decision to cancel for safety's sake. Maybe you could go to some tulip festivals this spring or something to make up for it. It is time to hunker down and get cosy inside here in Iowa. It's perfect for tv, fireplaces, and warm festive drinks!
Yes you're right !! The fireplace,TV & drinks sound great ! I will look forward to that ! Here in NM today it is sunny, crystal blue ,and probably over 60 degrees, I shouldn't complain, but it doesn't feel like "Christmas" when it's this warm !!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM

Default Artist Residency

Corning, Iowa is another small town that I would recommend that you look into.

On a personal note, there's a winery there that makes great rhubarb-strawberry wine and Lake Icaria is great.

Corning has an artist residency that you may want to consider. Here's the website: Corning Center for the Fine Arts
From the website:
Quote:
Our Artist in Residency Program offers artists the opportunity for a dynamic residency program with studio and living space, and incentives to relocate to Adams County.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauger60 View Post
Corning, Iowa is another small town that I would recommend that you look into.

On a personal note, there's a winery there that makes great rhubarb-strawberry wine and Lake Icaria is great.

Corning has an artist residency that you may want to consider. Here's the website: Corning Center for the Fine Arts
From the website:
Hi Again !!

Corning was one of the very first towns we checked out !!! (2007 !!) I loved their Art center !! At the time there weren't any houses that I liked for sale, and I eventually decided it might be a little to far from Des Moines,etc. ?
I do remember meeting some very friendly people there ! Also it was VERY hilly ! I couldn't even peddle my bike up some of the hills in town !!

How is it that you know so much about the entire state ? Have you ever considered writing a book ? I think that would be great , and I'd be first in line to buy it !!

Thank-you again for the great suggestions ! I appreciate every one of them!
Have a great evening !
PS- please let me know if you got my "direct" message? I wasn't sure if I did it right ? Thanks !

Last edited by ILoveIowa; 12-11-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Corning

I love Iowa too, live here, listen to Iowa Public Radio, traveled Iowa and I've learned a lot that way. Thanks for the compliments!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Algona ? Is the downtown area nice ,or rundown ? Is the town (in general) fairly clean ? And, are the people friendly ? I'd appreciate any comments !
Thank-you very much ! : )

Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 12,187 times
My wife is from Creston. Coming from NYC, I had some difficulty with Iowa. However, over the past 10 years, I have really begun to understand the people and what wonderful places are throughout Iowa. I like Creston because they have a community college, a small and rather economically hit (due to a walmart moving to town) downtown but it is close to everything. You can get to the big city in 40 minutes, Omaha in a little more then 1 hour and the people are wonderful. Winterset is a very nice place, I always enjoy going there as well as Oscolla (spelling) right off I35. There is a nice area near Greenfield with a big lake, great in the summer but bad in the winter. We do go out every winter and about the biggest thing is the Hyvee christmas lights in DesMoins. Of course, going to Jorden Creek Mall is something. I wanted to retire to the area but the wife said no way. She left the day she graduated the University of Nebraska and headed east so we are going to be going to florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa