U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM

30 posts, read 65,070 times

Advertisements

If Decorah was in your original Top 3, I would narrow it down to your final pick. Decorah is an exceptionally open minded community and with the combination of yourself as an artist and Luther College nearby, I couldn't imagine a more opportune fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM

30 posts, read 149,665 times
Thank-you Goingsking!

Yes, I had considered Creston too, it did bother me that the downtown was so rundown. I've never been to Greenfield, I'd like to check out the lake there. Will you be in Florida full time ? Florida is a nice place to visit, but when I'm there I really miss the good people of the Midwest !! : )
I do wish you happiness there though, and Thank-you again for your suggestion.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Hi FiananceBirder !!

Thank-you, and yes, I think I'll check out some more real estate sites in Decorah !! It does have SO much to offer ! I used to think it might be a little too remote for me, but the more I watch the news,etc. , maybe remote would be a good thing !!! : )

Thank-you again for your suggestion, I do need to get more "focused", and also follow my first gut instincts !!!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 AM

24 posts, read 82,555 times
Is the downtown in Greenfield run down? Is the town run down?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,187 times
[quote=ILoveIowa;17475813]Thank-you Goingsking!

We are looking at the west coast of Florida and found a lot of people from the mid west in that area as well. Will most likely get a house in the next year then put mine on the market. Fortunately, I live on a train line to NYC so our housing prices are very good. I just have to make that decision to retire and put in my paperwork

Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Hello again Goingsking !!

Yes, the West coast of Florida is my favorite, and I love the fact that there are so many Midwesterners there ! This past weekend I was in an ART festival in St.Armands ,(near Sarasota) I think this is my favorite area of Florida!! Have you looked around this area ? Make sure to visit the Ringling Museum when you are in Sarasota (if you haven't already !)

Good luck with your house search !

Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 PM

18 posts, read 68,070 times
Don't even think about Newton. It is disgusting.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 AM

449 posts, read 1,260,806 times
To OP, coming form New Mexico every place in Iowa will be cold, not just the northern part. Maybe someone mentioned it, but if not, I am surprised Washington has not been mentioned. I remember going through publications called "Best Small Twons in America", or something like that. The reference book rated many small towns in America and Washington was annualy rated as one of the best. Not sure if the book is published anymore. Washington has a population of about 9,000 and is close to Iowa City so medical services, education, and cultural activties are close by.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Hi scimitar !

Thanks for your suggestion ! Yes, I had read about Washington,Ia also and it sounded great and had some Art stuff going on, and houses were very cheap ! Unfortunately when I visited there, I was a little disappointed , It had some run down buildings downtown, (and around town) It wasn't exactly the charming small town I had hoped for. How do you like living in Virginia ? I think it's one of the most beautiful states in the country !
Well, Thank-you again !

Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 AM

449 posts, read 1,260,806 times
It's okay. Some beautiful scenery and dripping with historu, but the cost of living is absolutely outrageous, especialy housing. A $180,000 home, which borders on the upscale in Davenport would go for over $500,000 to $550,000 in the D.C. area. Traffic is really bad too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa