U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 AM

7 posts, read 14,103 times

Advertisements

someone please tell me what mystic is like. would like to move there i have 5 kids. my grand parents are from there, anyone know them? moorman, charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM

513 posts, read 476,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveIowa View Post
Hi Pocket player !

Thanks for following the thread ! Well ,not a lot new! I'm heading up to
What kind of art and media do you work with?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 13,681 times
Fort Madison is on the Mississippi River, has replica of its first US fort west of the Mississippi. Lots of history in the area. Across the river is Nauvoo where Joseph Smith of the Mormons lived and was lynched. Oldest prison west of the Mississippi, for many years home of Sheaffer Pens. Many events in the area after Labor Day: Old Threshers, West Point Sweet Corn Festival, Ft Madison Rodeo, Mexican Fiesta, watermelon and apple festivals.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,638,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingnia View Post
Fort Madison is on the Mississippi River, has replica of its first US fort west of the Mississippi. Lots of history in the area. Across the river is Nauvoo where Joseph Smith of the Mormons lived and was lynched. Oldest prison west of the Mississippi, for many years home of Sheaffer Pens. Many events in the area after Labor Day: Old Threshers, West Point Sweet Corn Festival, Ft Madison Rodeo, Mexican Fiesta, watermelon and apple festivals.
Joseph Smith was killed in Carthage.

Also, Fort Madison wasn't the first fort west of the Mississippi, it was the first fort on the upper Mississippi. There were already forts established west of the Mississippi when Lewis and Clark went west in 1804; Fort Madison was established in 1808.

Don't forget the Scenic Drive Festival in Van Buren County in October.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,744 times
Try Spencer in the NW part. Access to larger Sioux City, Sioux Fall, Minneapolis and, of course, the Iowa Great Lakes. Lots of remodeling and historical renovation. Let me know what I can help you with. Jim

Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,638,748 times
Mount Sterling is the perfect small town in Iowa.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,082 times
Default Moving near West Des Moines Any suggestions on rural towns?

My husband and I are moving to Iowa. We are currently looking for a home in a small town with acreage and possibly a pond. We are looking in the Madison County area, and near Van Meter. Any comments or ideas would be helpful.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 PM

63 posts, read 109,716 times
Hello,
I pretty much grew up in Madison county area. I have in laws that live outside of winterset as well. I lived in St Charles. You don't say why you are preferring madison county only. Warren county is similar as well. My brother lived in Earlham which is near Van Meter. Many of my friends did live in the country and I enjoyed going to there house since I was a "city" boy. Many of the towns in that area will have what you are looking for, but without any info on what exactly or why( start raising a family, having horses, etc) it is hard for me to recommend anything to you. Let me know, and I might be able to help.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 AM

17 posts, read 34,967 times
I like Madison County, Dallas County once you get west of the WDM-Waukee-Clive-Urbandale mess and Warren County. I lived in DM for eight years, and while being in a city is nice, the schools are too big. Not just DM, but all of the surrounding suburban districts as well. Van Meter, Adel-DeSoto-Minburn, Earlham, winterset appear to be solid smaller school systems.

Another small town that I've always admired is Williamsburg. Good schools, close to IC and CR and a good back story. Google Williamsburg and the Harlem GlobeTrotters.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 27,497 times
Default Check out Mt Pleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveIowa View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me with my search ! First of all, I live in New Mexico right now, I'm an Artist , so I could live anywhere but I know that Iowa is where I want to be !!

I've been looking for a couple years for just the right small town, I have been in 95 of the 99 counties !! I've visited hundreds of small towns, and thought that I had narrowed my search to - Winterset, Tipton,& Decorah, but I'm still open to suggestions !! I am looking for a town that will be somewhat welcoming to newcomers !! I want to be a part of a community, and get involved (volunteer,etc.) I don't want to change ONE thing about Iowa (as some transplants seem to try to do !!)

I would like to be maybe a half an hour from a city ? I guess the most important thing on my "wishlist" is that the town is not too "rundown" (boarded up and empty downtowns !) I'm not a very political person, but I don't want any place that's TOO conservative or TOO liberal !!! ( I guess that's why I Love Iowa in general !!) I just want a place where everyone gets along !!

I guess what I'm looking for is a "Mayberry" of sorts !! If it still exists anywhere in America, it will be in Iowa, or so I'm hoping ! Oh, and I forgot to mention I am looking to buy an old home (100 years old or so ?)

I would welcome any thoughts on these things, Thank-you so very much !

Jodi
Mount Pleasant, Iowa is as close to Mayberry as you can get in Iowa. There's a small college with an Art Museum. It's about 45 minutes from Iowa City/Coralville. MP is a nice, safe town. There are older homes there for sale. Plus, MP has a lot of history, including ties to the Lincoln family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa