U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:07 PM

9,257 posts, read 17,883,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
However, I'd go from paying zero state income tax in South Dakota to $2500 a year in Knoxville, so I want to see where my money would be going.
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/lsaR...garSummary.pdf

Quote:
In WI all the roads are paved,
No, they're not. I'd love to know where you got this information.

Quote:
in IA they don't appear to be..
As far as I know all state roads are paved. Many county roads aren't, depending on the amount of traffic they have.

Quote:
so the money must be going to Des Moines..
Des Moines isn't a financial black hole like Chicago. Of course everyone has to pay more than his fair share to fund the beureaucracy (same as any state, plus the federal Government) but I think the proceeds are distributed fairly proportinately throughout the state to maintain roads and fund schools and local offices.

Quote:
I caught myself wondering also if it would be safe to swim in Red Rock Reservoir which is a manmade dammed lake of the Des Moines river just miles after it goes through a large city like Des Moines.
I'd be way more concerned about chemical runoff than Des Moines wastewater, which is treated coming in and going out. Plus all public swimming areas are tested for coliform and closed if they reach unsafe levels.

Bottom line, Red Rock will be no better or worse for swimming than any other lake or pond in the Midwest. If you're concerned about runoff, poopwater, or dead fish better stick to swimming pools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM

3,784 posts, read 5,133,334 times
Quote:
Have off this week, going to drive to Iowa to check it out, namely with Knoxville in mind, where there's a 3M plant since a person can move between plants without losing (benefits) seniority.

However, I'd go from paying zero state income tax in South Dakota to $2500 a year in Knoxville, so I want to see where my money would be going. In WI all the roads are paved, in IA they don't appear to be.. so the money must be going to Des Moines.. plan to give it a good drive through, check the overall quality of things and compare/contrast to SD.

I caught myself wondering also if it would be safe to swim in Red Rock Reservoir which is a manmade dammed lake of the Des Moines river just miles after it goes through a large city like Des Moines. I remember how polluted the Milwaukee river was, nobody swam in it and that was with much smaller cities along the river. Articles seem to suggest Des Moines river is polluted. The lakes here in eastern South Dakota are all pretty bad from farm runoff, but they are fine for fishing.

Report says Iowa

In any case looking forward to checking out the area, though I should probably stay put.
]

Having read in the past that the biggest industrial pollutant in South Dakota was the 3M plant in Brookings, I would estimate that the Des Moines river north of Knoxville is probably cleaner than south of Knoxville.

My oldest daughter lives on Red Rock Lake. Her husband is from the area. I can definitely tell you that by appearance alone it's a lot cleaner that the Sioux River. It's not a lake that you can safely speed boat in as there's lot's of driftwood coming up from the bottom even after the many years since it was dammed.

The Knoxville area is very blue collar making it much different than the college town you live in now. As you can guess, this is sprint car racing heaven for all that love the sport. I AM NOT putting this area down as that is also it's charm. Being an old farm boy it's not a negative to me. Just stating comparisons.

There are lots of paved highways all around this area, except few run north/south, east/west. The locals don't even know what mile roads are. This is very rolling hills with the roads following the hills. Plenty of gravel roads too that are all the white limestone type gravel. When they're dry, it's choking dust. When they're wet, they can be nearly impossible to drive on. You'll miss the dark gravel roads of South Dakota. My daughter doesn't try real hard to keep her car clean anymore since she lives on one of these roads.

At Knoxville you're a good 40 miles from Des Moines, but it is 4 lane. Activities wise, there's more to do in Brookings other than going to Des Moines. There's not much east, west, or south of Knoxville for additional activities. The closest larger community is Ottumwa and that's not a lot to look forward too. Oskaloosa, Indianola, and Pella are close by however. All 3 communities have small private colleges and are well kept towns.]

Incidentally, it will cost you a lot more to license your automobile in Iowa than it does in South Dakota.

Bet you didn't expect Iowa info. from a fellow SD poster.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:14 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,615,180 times
As is usually the case in states with no or a tiny state income tax levy, they get you in other methods of taxation as this article from the Institute on Taxation & Economic Policy notes. Most specifically here they mention the South Dakota state sales tax & excise tax levies as being well above the national average.
The thing to remember is that if it is trumpeted by a state that they don't have a state income tax, they are working in reality with almost a smoke and mirrors mindset to convince residents & potential residents that it is a great deal.
Since there is always a tradeoff in how they get their revenue, imho that is dishonesty.
Another aspect of this report from the Institute is how tax policy in South Dakota disproportionately hits poorer residents the hardest.
ITEP Reports

Old 05-12-2014, 03:12 PM

9,257 posts, read 17,883,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
]

Incidentally, it will cost you a lot more to license your automobile in Iowa than it does in South Dakota.
Depends what you drive. My 25-year-old car is a little cheaper to register in Iowa than it would be in SD, and my 24-year-old truck is about half what it would be in SD. But for vehicles under 12 years old SD is hundreds of dollars less.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 PM

221 posts, read 1,082,650 times
Quote:
Have off this week, going to drive to Iowa to check it out, namely with Knoxville in mind, ....
Knoxville's kind of gross, StockWiz, I think you should stay in Brookings. Even though your posts from there do indicate that you really would be happier elsewhere!

Wait until a position opens up in Ames - that area is so much nicer.

Sorry, but I have to go through Knoxville all the time and it's just flat yucky. Red Rock is nice for hiking, though!

Old 05-15-2014, 03:55 PM

7,784 posts, read 7,224,047 times
Well I visited there... you're right knoxville is slummy, but Pella is great.. I was shocked at the difference between the two towns.. the flowers growing all over town along the side of the road was a nice touch.. Pella Headquarters looked great... seriously I'd love to live in Pella and I loved the Lake, Dam, and jogging/biking area around there, and I really liked Des Moines, at least the parts that I saw.. seemed like a very clean, forward looking, prosperous city with fairly decent traffic flow for a city it's size. The abundance of shopping choices is just something I'm not used too, and it shows, by how slow the wal-mart supercenter was. Ours is always packed. If I actually did move there, I'd pick Knoxville for the cheaper real estate. It's easy enough to commute to Pella or Des Moines. I'm used to commuting 55-60 miles to get anywhere around here, so 30 to Des Moines and 10 or so to Pella is nothing

Is it that much better than where I'm at? Personally for me.. no... they'd have to pay at least the same at that 3M plant which remains to be seen. Compared to Omaha, I'd take Des Moines... it just felt cleaner, faster growing, nice metro areas.

Other towns along my driving routes I thought were nice... Spencer was very nice and Carroll was ok. Atlantic was slightly hickish, actually more than I envisioned any town in Iowa to be, and Sioux City was... barf... but barf located in a reasonably scenic area with underutilized potential.

I appreciate a bit more what I have here now after visiting though.... I don't really 'need' to have a Des Moines sized city nearby... Sioux Falls is big enough for my personality type...it's something I'll keep in the back of my mind for now.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-15-2014 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 09:38 AM

7,784 posts, read 7,224,047 times
maybe someone who lives in this area (Pella/Knoxville) could give me some info... when I look on zillow I see lots of foreclosures in this area... is there a lack of jobs?

The data suggests there is not an issue with finding jobs (low unemployment rate) but the foreclosure rate would suggest otherwise. Property taxes appear to be modestly lower than around here which would help offset the state income tax.

Perhaps there's another reason for the high foreclosure rate? In any case it looks like I could get a home in Knoxville for a good $20K cheaper than around here for same square footage/age/garage size.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 PM

40 posts, read 75,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I googled "Sleeping With the Enemy" and it looks like it was filmed (or at least takes place) in Cedar Falls, home to the University of Northern Iowa. I haven't been to their downtown in a couple years, but it's very cute and quaint, with quite a few interesting restaurants, local businesses (art) ... seems to be doing very well. Lots of historical homes downtown.
Oy - Cedar Falls/Waterloo is far from scenic in my opinion. My husband who is a war vet and served in Iraq marvels at how much some parts of Waterloo remind him of the impoverished parts of Iraq. It's not cute or quaint. Also - terrible shopping.

On a similar note, when I think of Fort Dodge all that comes to mind are meth labs.

I'd steer clear from both of those.

And who is even debating about swimming in Iowa lakes? Does anyone actually do that? (ew) I've lived in Iowa my whole life and I would neither swim or eat a fish caught in any of our native waters. No - way.

I think it's sweet that OP has a romanticized view of Iowa and pictures it as some Norman Rockwell-esque type of place but I am afraid she might be deeply disappointed with the reality.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM

40 posts, read 75,779 times
Quote:
Is it that much better than where I'm at? Personally for me.. no... they'd have to pay at least the same at that 3M plant which remains to be seen. Compared to Omaha, I'd take Des Moines... it just felt cleaner, faster growing, nice metro areas.

Other towns along my driving routes I thought were nice... Spencer was very nice and Carroll was ok. Atlantic was slightly hickish, actually more than I envisioned any town in Iowa to be, and Sioux City was... barf... but barf located in a reasonably scenic area with underutilized potential.
My mother grew up in Spencer and I agree it is a nice town, and housing costs seem to be pretty low. The biggest problem for me would be the types of jobs available. My husband is a developer and I am a graphic designer - not many job openings for those types of career paths in Spencer I'm afraid. Too bad because I would have gladly bought my grandmother's house when she moved to a retirement home. The other down side would be lack of any large cities nearby. They have a "mall" but it's pretty sad. I believe their high end store is JC Penny... or something similar. Younkers is even gone now.

A few selling points: The downtown is cute though some of the really old stores have gone away - including the old theatre which was adorable. But there is still plenty of "downtown" shopping - including a really unique glass blowing studio. Another thing worth mentioning is how close it is to Lake Okoboji - I believe a little less than an hour's drive. The town still has a "community" feel to it. Yearly they have a really oddball event called "Thanks with Franks" and all of the downtown businesses serve... hot dogs outdoors (free). Sounds weird but its weird enough to be fun - and each store tries to throw their own unique twist to their dogs. Ahhh small town Iowa.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:49 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,625,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewSweets View Post
Oy - Cedar Falls/Waterloo is far from scenic in my opinion. My husband who is a war vet and served in Iraq marvels at how much some parts of Waterloo remind him of the impoverished parts of Iraq. It's not cute or quaint. Also - terrible shopping.

On a similar note, when I think of Fort Dodge all that comes to mind are meth labs.

I'd steer clear from both of those.

And who is even debating about swimming in Iowa lakes? Does anyone actually do that? (ew) I've lived in Iowa my whole life and I would neither swim or eat a fish caught in any of our native waters. No - way.

I think it's sweet that OP has a romanticized view of Iowa and pictures it as some Norman Rockwell-esque type of place but I am afraid she might be deeply disappointed with the reality.
Outside of rivers and the glacial lakes in the northwest part of the state, Iowa really has next to nothing for natural bodies of water. Just about every other lake of note (Red Rock, Saylorville, Panorama, etc) is either dammed up, or completely man-made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa