Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM

30 posts, read 161,641 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me with my search ! First of all, I live in New Mexico right now, I'm an Artist , so I could live anywhere but I know that Iowa is where I want to be !!

I've been looking for a couple years for just the right small town, I have been in 95 of the 99 counties !! I've visited hundreds of small towns, and thought that I had narrowed my search to - Winterset, Tipton,& Decorah, but I'm still open to suggestions !! I am looking for a town that will be somewhat welcoming to newcomers !! I want to be a part of a community, and get involved (volunteer,etc.) I don't want to change ONE thing about Iowa (as some transplants seem to try to do !!)

I would like to be maybe a half an hour from a city ? I guess the most important thing on my "wishlist" is that the town is not too "rundown" (boarded up and empty downtowns !) I'm not a very political person, but I don't want any place that's TOO conservative or TOO liberal !!! ( I guess that's why I Love Iowa in general !!) I just want a place where everyone gets along !!

I guess what I'm looking for is a "Mayberry" of sorts !! If it still exists anywhere in America, it will be in Iowa, or so I'm hoping ! Oh, and I forgot to mention I am looking to buy an old home (100 years old or so ?)

I would welcome any thoughts on these things, Thank-you so very much !

Jodi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Check out LeClaire if you haven't already..It was run down looking, but in the last 5-10 yrs they've really done a number on it. It's turning into a nice town. It's starting to have a few funky lil art galleries, antique shops, a couple of well known restaurants etc.

It's growing so they'll be expecting newcomers. It's real close to the Quad Cities for shopping, airport, festivals, jobs etc.

It's home to the American Pickers tv show on the History Channel, although the show doesn't show much of LeClaire.

It has a few festivals of it's own in the summer, including the Tug Fest. A tug of war across the Mississippi between LeClaire and Port Byron Il.

Good Luck!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:42 PM

Thank-you Dport !! I can't believe all the times I've driven I-80, and never gotten off the highway to check out LeClaire (maybe 2 miles from there) !!!! I had heard that it had some artsy things going on, but I had forgotten that, so I Thank-you for reminding me, I'll do some research right now !!!
Thanks again !

Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
I think Winterset, Tipton, Decorah or LeClaire would all fit the bill. Let me add one more to the mix, from the opposite corner of the state.

Shenandoah

I was over in western Iowa last spring for a job interview, and I was really impressed with Shenandoah. A really nice small downtown, with good older buildings and streetscaping. There are a lot of really great older houses in town as well--well-kept holdovers from the town's Earl May haydays. I didn't stay long enough to get a real feel for the town's politics or their openness (didn't get that particular job), but everyone I met there was very friendly and seemed quite down-to-earth. Might be worth taking a look at.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 PM

Thank-you SharpHawkeye !! And, Thank-you for that beautiful picture ! I visited Shenandoah once, and I also got a good feeling about it, but like you I wasn't there long enough to really explore ! I remember they had a "walk of stars" type thing on their sidewalks (It featured all the famous people from Iowa !) I really enjoyed that !

So, you are from Chariton ? We tried to visit Chariton once, but our RV wouldn't fit under the railroad bridge going into town !! We had to turn around , I regret now not making the effort to find another way into town !! : ) We'll try again one day ! Well, Thank-you again for your great suggestion !
I'll give Shenandoah another look !!
Jodi : )

Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 AM

33 posts, read 100,377 times
Default Shenandoah

Hi Jodi,

Shenandoah has the Wabash Arts Camp for kids two weeks every summer. It mixes different art forms from theater to poetry to painting. Maybe you could teach there.

You would not be close to a city, but there are two towns in addition to Shenandoah that have over 5,000 residents within 20 minutes by car.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,013 times
Fort Dodge, Iowa is a good place to move.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauger60 View Post
Hi Jodi,

Shenandoah has the Wabash Arts Camp for kids two weeks every summer. It mixes different art forms from theater to poetry to painting. Maybe you could teach there.

You would not be close to a city, but there are two towns in addition to Shenandoah that have over 5,000 residents within 20 minutes by car.
Hi Lauger60

That arts camp sounds fun, just the kind of thing I'd love to do ! As far as being near a big city, I figure I could drive into Omaha IF I HAD to !! I'm anxious to check that area out again ! Thank-you ! Have a great day !
Jodi

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos Santos View Post
Fort Dodge, Iowa is a good place to move.
Hi Marcos Santos !

I've never been to FortDodge, I looked around Webster City , and should have checked it out when I was that close ! Well, that's another one on my list of places to check out ! Thank-you very much for your suggestion !
Have a great day !
Jodi

Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
[SIZE=2]Given its proximity to Des Moines, I would think Winterset would be a nice choice.
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa