U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

We are a gay couple with small children. We currently live in New Hampshire and it is just too expensive. Does anyone know of any small town that is gay friendly with a safe neighborhood and we can rent a house?We need a 3-4 bedromm home with a yard. Let me know. ciytkittynh@yahoo.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM

33 posts, read 92,520 times
Default Grinnell

Grinnell is an accepting place in terms of gay couples with children. The new president of the school seems to have adjusted fine. He's married to his partner and has two kids. The houses for rent might mostly be geared toward students and be divided into sections, but there's likely some there that are full houses for rent.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 PM

681 posts, read 2,834,759 times
What is a "small town" to you? There are a lot of people from the east who consider a small town to be anything under 100,000 people.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 PM

99 posts, read 267,555 times
accepting..........it is

Old 12-16-2010, 02:54 PM

24 posts, read 54,044 times
Galena, IL would be a great choice. It is 15 minutes from Dubuque, Iowa.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,847,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharebear63 View Post
Galena, IL would be a great choice. It is 15 minutes from Dubuque, Iowa.
but is it "cheap" though? I honestly don't know, but my guess is no in comparison to many, many other small towns to choose from. Also, what would be the compelling reason to live in Illinios vs Iowa. The honest politicians?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,530,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
but is it "cheap" though? I honestly don't know, but my guess is no in comparison to many, many other small towns to choose from. Also, what would be the compelling reason to live in Illinios vs Iowa. The honest politicians?
Galena is not a cheap place to live. Homes are expensive and property taxes are high. Might not be real bad if you are planning on renting. Not many apartment complexes but a lot of apartments over stores on the main street.

It is a tourist town so those type of low paying jobs are available. Dubuque is not that far away which has some employment possibilities.

Jasper

Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 AM

22 posts, read 17,629 times
The Quad Cities is a great diverse area which consists of Iowa and Illinois and is a very liberal area, in Downtown Davenport they have their own so-called "Rainbow District which is on 3rd Street and has a lot of apartments and condo's. Iowa City is also a diverse area, I would not recommend Des Moines tho.. Hope you guys find what you're looking for!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 13,143 times
I would advise Grinnell, Iowa first and Fairfield, Iowa second. Both communities are far more liberal than any others I've encountered in Iowa. Grinnell University has an important social change emphasis with a huge slant towards diversity and inclusion. Grinnell is less than an hour's drive to Des Moines.

Fairfield, Iowa is more socially liberal due to the Maharashi University of Management. You don't have to be a follower of the Maharashi - of course - to enjoy the socially conscious environment. Some find it refreshing, and some find it bizarre. I'd visit both towns. Fairfield is closer to Iowa City, which is a hugely liberal area due to the University of Iowa. Fairfield has a huge "green" and organic initiative which is refreshing in this region of industrial/corporate farming.

You will find more kindred gay communities in Grinnell and Fairfield, but you are also in the middle of rural Iowa, and with that comes a huge divide between the extreme conservative farmer/business types and the liberal "want to get back to the land" sort of folks. And neither the twain shall meet.

Both towns are rural, with great old homes and more diverse populations (for Iowa). Both also have populations of around 9500 people.

City of Grinnell - About Grinnell (http://www.grinnelliowa.gov/files/about-grinnell.htm - broken link)

Fairfield Area Chamber of Commerce

Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 AM

325 posts, read 640,210 times
If you are a gay couple, then Iowa City is the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa