U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 18,113 times

Advertisements

We could use with any input about this big delimna we have at this crossroad in our life. We both have careers in Cedar Rapids and our kids are doing great in school and we have a nice cirlce of friends. We have lived 10 years in Oregon and had a great life there too--similar thing--nice school-nice jobs, nice friends, etc... We miss the mountains and the natural landscape of Oregon. We are worried about not being able to afford the type of housing in Oregon and we might have to compromise on the neighborhood--we're not sure about this. But we love the mild weather there, compared to the extremes here. The catch is that we just turned 40. Is this a risky move? Is it the case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence, but it might just be perfect here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 10:10 AM

296 posts, read 1,194,544 times
CR-Mom, I don't know anyone who has lived in Oregon who doesn't miss living there! Many of us who have visited dream about moving there, too.

If it were me, I'd look at it from a more practical standpoint (and make a big project out of it, but that's just me <g>). I'd estimate what I could get for my house here, maybe even contact a Realtor and ask or just use the values of similar houses selling in the area... then see what that would buy in the areas of interest in Oregon. Maybe make a few employment overtures -- where might you both want to work, are they hiring and what might they pay? A higher salary could make nicer housing more affordable than a straight trade for your equity and payments here.

How do the kids feel about the idea of a move? Have they ever been to Oregon?

I don't think turning 40 is a catch. God willing, you should have many years to enjoy life wherever you live.

How hard is it for you to make friends? How much do you depend on your circle of friends here? If a move like this is going to fail, it seems like it is usually because people weren't willing to move on in terms of making new friendships OR they had very special friends and family close by and they missed them too much.

Otherwise, you should map out the pros and cons and then follow your heart!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:05 PM

100 posts, read 501,699 times
My question is this: What are your job prospects like in Oregon? Do you have jobs waiting or will you have to search? Where do you plan to live there? The Portland area will almost certainly be very expensive, as they have a lot of restrictions on growth and land use. If you plan on moving to Portland, be prepared to spend a lot of $$$.

Perhaps you should consider this: Move to Oregon, rent an apartment, condo, or house, and see how it goes for awhile. If you like it and find good work, you can always buy a house, and you won't be out too much money. If you don't, you'll be able to move back to CR or elsewhere, because you'll still have the $$ from selling your house here.

I'd do it anyway and see how it goes. Oregon may have changed since you've lived there last, depending on where you're going to. My main concern would be the expensiveness of living, but if you have enough money, do it.

Good luck! By the way, 40 is not that old. You still have more than half of your life left!!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 33,519 times
It has always been my experience that the grass is NEVER greener on the other side of the hill. Fro my perspective and experience you have several good options.

1. Stay here. You are already in familiar territory and things seem to be going well financially for you. I am only assuming that your children wouldn't want to move and leave the friends they have.
2. Move, but take the advantage to live far below your means. A house is just a house. A home is something you can make out of shed. I have always found that going back was never as sweet as I had imagined it would be.
3. While 40 is still very young and you can make the best of any decision you make, do you really want to be moving in such an uncertain world right now? Not to be pessimistic, but if you are making more money here either by annual income or purchasing ability... Do you really want to start over now? What if something were to happen to one or both of you? Iowa is no dream location for anyone, but if you already have jobs, kids doing well in school, friends... the good life in general... do you really want to risk a move that has the capability of rocking the boat in many different ways?

I raised 35 children. (28 adoptive and 7 biological. My wife who was my best friend went to McDonalds 17 years ago with 5 of our biological children and never came home. She never planned it... she just snapped. Sometimes I think we were so busy chasing dreams and greener pastures that as close as we were I did not see that all she wanted was to stay parked in one place.

My opinion for the 2 cents it's worth? If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Stay. t is always more fun wishing for things than it is having them. No matter where you move it will set you back financially. At 40 it is time to start tucking every dime away. Fifty is just around the bend. And while that is still young, you make a right turn and a left at the light and then you park with whatever gas is left in your tank. Moving can divide families if only because your children begin deciding where they want to live based on where they have been. Keep em' here and maybe you'll have a better chance at seeing them more often.

There are so many variables that all any of us can do is give you food for thought and wish you the best at whatever you decide to do.

Warm Regards,
Joseph Seaborn gaspdesign@earthlink.net

Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 18,113 times
Default Thanks Looking

Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking very hard over what you have all said. Special thanks to Looking4friend.... I like that phrase 'if it's not broken, why fix it!' We are leaning towards staying here, because we are afraid of the expenses--just the weather here can get me down sometime. But thank you very much so far for everyone's replies

Old 07-24-2007, 03:42 PM

23 posts, read 83,486 times
I can totally understand getting bummed out about the weather. My first move here was from Charleston, SC, we really missed the gardens and the beach. So for spring break we went back. My mom goes to Florida every Feb. because she gets tired of winter. Why not try that? If you go in the off season or to a small not so "Spiring break" town it's pretty cheap. I suggest Destin Florida. It's a beautiful white coast with emerald waters.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 AM

9 posts, read 33,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-Mom View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking very hard over what you have all said. Special thanks to Looking4friend.... I like that phrase 'if it's not broken, why fix it!' We are leaning towards staying here, because we are afraid of the expenses--just the weather here can get me down sometime. But thank you very much so far for everyone's replies
The weather can get me down too. But when I moved to Florida many years ago (because of the weather here) I found myself growing so tired of the monotany of Florida's constant green. I hope you decide to stay. When you get wanderlust it is often better to take a trip or short vacation. That seems to nip it in the bud for me. Good luck!

Last edited by ImLooking4friends; 08-06-2007 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or