Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 PM

53 posts, read 201,273 times

Advertisements

So I've finally got my ducks in a row and this year is THE year to relocate. Will be in CR some time in April of this year and looking for a relocation destination. I already know I want CR - but where??? I've been interested in the downtown area just because it seems to be trying desperatly to become a walking neighborhood type of enviroment. I love the thought of small custom shops, Farmers Market, Newbo Market Place when (if) it takes off and a sense of community. SO what areas are there to avoid besides the Wellington Heights area - which coming from Phx sounds about as menacing as kittens in a box.. ! If there isn't a shooting a day in our area seems folks aren't happy. I digress... I need something new, exciting and to get involved in. Does Downtown CR fit that bill or are there other areas of town that make more sense? Thank You in advance for any input - I'll be touring the town in a few weeks and would like to know where to start! You can catch up with me here or in a private message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,103 times
To me, downtown Cedar Rapids isn't there yet. There doesn't seem to be enough of a critical mass of businesses that cater to residents, or enough fun and interesting things to do to be considered a highly desireable urban core to call home. Downtown is no doubt still dealing with the aftermath of the floods and was down right eerily dead during the evenings that I've spent there over the past year, save for a few pockets of bars.

Sounds like the place is on the very verge of taking off over the next decade with plenty of development proposed and it will be fun to watch. I have no doubt that the place will make excellent strides over the coming years, but it's behind the curve, especially when the size of the city is considered. When nearly all of the other downtown cores in Iowa cities experienced construction booms and culturally rebirths over the past decade, Cedar Rapids just stayed in the same place. Also, I suppose it never will get better unless prospective residents or business owners like you don't take the leap. Just don't expect to find a very vibrant place at the moment.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times
My impression of downtown CR isn't real great either, but I've got limited experience to draw from. I haven't been through there since the flood, but we went to CR Symphony concerts there (in the Paramount Theatre) pretty regularly for a couple years before the flood. It always seemed very, very quiet downtown when I was there. We went up to CR early once, intending to get supper before the concert, but then couldn't find anything between a couple bars/pubs and a couple high-end get-a-reservation type places. Everything else closed by 6:30 or 7pm and we ended up at Dairy Queen.

I'm willing to admit the above may have just been poor planning and unfamiliarity on our part (we're from Iowa City). I don't know what the area is like during the daytime. I do remember going to a meeting in downtown CR during a weekday and smelling some really good-smelling BBQ coming from somewhere.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM

Coming from the noisiest state in the union peace and quiet (even eerie quiet) will be most welcome. Thank you both for taking time out to comment. It was very thoughtful. WELL this is beginning to sound like an adventure. I won't be roaming the streets at night but I'd like to patronize local eateries, shops and book stores such as they are. Also I love good BBQ! I will be there in the spring to look around for myself and start house and neighborhood hunting.. I can't wait, but home reno work come first before our first 100 degree blast which should be sometime in April. Time for a vacation. Any other thoughts please let me know.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times
I guess the other thing to point out (even though its probably obvious) if you are thinking of living near downtown is to pay very close attention to flood zones and flood mitigation plans. I think it will be a while before they get final plans made, as the Corp of Engineers and the City are at odds over whether to protect both sides of the river.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 AM

I've been reading little snippets about that flood control issue. No doubt if I decide to invest time and money into that area that will be my first concern. I prefer not to have my assets WASHED AWAY. I will be doing my due diligence on that matter as well as a few other things as well. I don't mind living downtown but I don't think I want to be 'that close' to a bar or restaurant. And a house / neighborhood with character would be nice too! Everything Phoenix lacks, character, charm, peace, quiet and a sense of community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: