U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,255 times

Advertisements

Hello all we currently live in Fargo, ND and the weather is starting to get to be a little much. We currently pay $850 for renting a 2 bedroom 1 bath house. W love the size of the area about 130,000-150,000 the surrounding area with Fargo being 90,000 and two cities pretty much connected at about 30,000 each. I'm currently a manager at a restaraunt and my wife is a medical office assisant. We both really enjoy our jobs and would like to stay in the field if possible. We also have a little girl who is 10 months old and 2 mini daschund dogs. Cedar Rapids looks to be a great city with the same time of size and a little better weather than up here. I would really appreciate any help on finding rentals houses, townhomes, or apartments and am wondering what the job market it is like in our fields. We are both more than willing to work our way up from the bottom if need be. Thank you anyone who replies
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:36 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,163,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaers View Post
Hello all we currently live in Fargo, ND and the weather is starting to get to be a little much. We currently pay $850 for renting a 2 bedroom 1 bath house. W love the size of the area about 130,000-150,000 the surrounding area with Fargo being 90,000 and two cities pretty much connected at about 30,000 each. I'm currently a manager at a restaraunt and my wife is a medical office assisant. We both really enjoy our jobs and would like to stay in the field if possible. We also have a little girl who is 10 months old and 2 mini daschund dogs. Cedar Rapids looks to be a great city with the same time of size and a little better weather than up here. I would really appreciate any help on finding rentals houses, townhomes, or apartments and am wondering what the job market it is like in our fields. We are both more than willing to work our way up from the bottom if need be. Thank you anyone who replies
Look for jobs in Iowa City as well...with the U of IA Hospitals and Clinics there, and lots of restaurants around town, you might have good luck finding something for both of you there. And despite the smaller size, with the University there, there is lots going on.

I can't help much with Cedar Rapids, unfortunately, as I don't make it up there much.

From,
An NDSU grad now living in Iowa City

Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaers View Post
Not to sound discouraging but Cedar Rapids weather can be brutal too in the winter. Iowa is not known for mild winters. That being said, Fargo and CR are similar type cities population and economic opportunities wise.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,163,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Not to sound discouraging but Cedar Rapids weather can be brutal too in the winter. Iowa is not known for mild winters. That being said, Fargo and CR are similar type cities population and economic opportunities wise.

Jasper Hobbs
Depends on where you are coming from.

Cedar Rapids winters are a good month shorter, and quite a bit warmer than Fargo winters, and the biggest thing is, this area has quite a lot less wind than Fargo has. Snow usually doesn't start in earnest until the very end of November, and its generally done by the end of February.

The major downsides to Cedar Rapids area winters are:

(1) Less snowplows and other equipment mean clean-up can take longer.

(2) Ice. Since its warmer down here, you get snow partially melting, and then re-freezing, which can make a mess out of things.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 AM

19 posts, read 44,424 times
CR is an industrial town and has lots of jobs. The 2 hospitals are Mercy & St. Lukes and both have tons of medical offices around them. They also have tons of restaurants. I think the CR metro area may be twice the size of Fargo? It includes Cedar Rapids, Robins, Hiawatha, Marion, and all connected so kind of one big city.

Iowa City is more expensive for housing as it is a college town.

Check Cedar rapids Gazette online for help wanted ads. There are a bunch and since not just service and retail type town the industry helps bring up all wages. Only place I know where high school graduate factory worker CAN make $85k with no union but there is high competition for those jobs and that is upper end. Still it helps create better wages for everyone else. I've known college grads who dropped out of their profession to work at Quaker Oats or General Mills or Cedar River Paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or