Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Significantly more liberal. The midwest usually relies on "feigned" liberalism, usually exaggerated as well.
When it comes right down to it, the entire nation exhibits feigned liberalism!
The midwest is no exception!

Where there's $ to be made, we're all liberals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM

116 posts, read 384,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When it comes right down to it, the entire nation exhibits feigned liberalism!
The midwest is no exception!

Where there's $ to be made, we're all liberals!
Agree. And its not just in the area of sexuality. America as a land of immigrants is supposed to be one of the most friendly nations in the world to accept immigrants (as long as legal). Hardly its true in practice. Its difficult to get fully adapted and integrated bc Americans the moment they know you are from another country and speak with little accent, they will ignore you. That includes Americans whose their parents are from your country but were born here or grew up here. I am sure many people from other countries who try to adapt find out the same happens to them. And for irony, you later have people complaining foreigners only stick with themselves and find rude that in group they speak their language instead English and can't understand what they say!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Being Gay myself, I'm not offended by whatever derogatory name/label that's hurled at me, because those people are being extremely honest, speaking from their gut, and I appreciate that more, than some phony liberal who was taught in school to address me with the Gay label.

And there are any number of Gay people who are not friendly to other Gay people. You could, ironically, move into the most liberal Gay neighborhood in Iowa, and then find no other Gay person will have anything to do with you.

Maybe you're too old, too ugly, too fat, or God forbid, you can't reveal a membership to a Gym!

Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Why do people come to Iowa looking for a gay lifestyle? If that is your quest, don't kid yourself. You will find what you are looking for in San Francisco or New York. This state did not become gay central just because our justices allow gay marriage.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
As a gay person, 90% of this "gay lifestyle" I hear people speak of every once in awhile is the exact same thing as the "straight lifestyle". People live in the same types of houses, they shop at the same stores, they follow the same politics, they do the same types of things over the holidays, they drink the same beer and liquor, they do the same things with friends and they have the same types of jobs.

People just see the flashy crazy gays who embody the stereotypical things and then that's "a gay person". You don't see the other 85% who just fly under everyone's radar, hang out at home, work as accountants, bus drivers, managers, waiters, etc.

As for the topic, Iowa City seems to be the one place in Iowa where almost no one will give a crap that anyone might be gay.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
I have no, no, no, no, NO desire for what America thinks is the "gay lifestyle." I just want a nice, normal house in a nice, normal city with nice, normal kids like everyone else. The only difference is that I want a husband instead of a wife. Iowa is one of the very few places where I can do that.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM

116 posts, read 384,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I have no, no, no, no, NO desire for what America thinks is the "gay lifestyle." I just want a nice, normal house in a nice, normal city with nice, normal kids like everyone else. The only difference is that I want a husband instead of a wife. Iowa is one of the very few places where I can do that.
Which brings up a good question. Do u want to adopt or have your own? If own with what woman you would have a child? I just can't imagine doing this latter while avoiding Bermuda triangle. Hence maybe why many gays choose "normal life" but can't stay honest. And what about bi guys?

I am most afraid of them, bc they can seem tO be good friends but once you know their little secret but are not interested in you knowing you might be interestEd in them, they will in rude fashion ditch you and never speak to you again. :/

Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Why do people come to Iowa looking for a gay lifestyle? If that is your quest, don't kid yourself. You will find what you are looking for in San Francisco or New York. This state did not become gay central just because our justices allow gay marriage.
Apparently a live and let live attitude is not what social conservatives like. Who cares what other consenting adults do anyway?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 AM

98 posts, read 276,668 times
I heard that Ames, Des Moines, and especially Iowa City are gay-friendly.

Of course, there are social conservatives in Iowa but most Iowans have "let live" attitudes so they don't care what you do.

Currently, Iowa is the only Midwestern state that allows gay marriage.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 AM

659 posts, read 1,102,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
I am most afraid of them, bc they can seem tO be good friends but once you know their little secret but are not interested in you knowing you might be interestEd in them, they will in rude fashion ditch you and never speak to you again. :/
Wow, someone leaving you be when they realize that you are not now nor will you ever be sexually available to them. Sounds horrifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa