Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 PM

389 posts, read 665,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Sorry, I pegged your posts wrong.
No problem, I understand. My first post wasn't exactly pro-Spencer; it was just pointing out how the once-thriving "regional towns" like Spencer are getting killed by Des Moines' quest to become the only meaningful city in Iowa. Apples to apples, I'd say Spencer has just about everything a realistic person might expect.

I remember visiting the city in 1988. At the time, they had airline service (Great Lakes Aviation headquartered in Spencer) and a neat little shopping mall. It sure did seem to have a decent amount of amenities for a city under 15,000 people. Spencer seemed like one of those towns you could live in without having to leave for a bigger town to finish your shopping list. There was even some decent culture with the Clay County Fair.

But, it doesn't have the Cubs AAA affiliate or a Zombie Burger, so only a total loser could be happy there, I guess. (That last sentence was sarcasm.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,661,988 times
Regarding those, "...restless dreams of youth." Would you rather that those dreams or desires led them to leave the state entirely & not have them settle in greater Des Moines? What state that has a dominant metro or multiple good-sized centers of population could not be said to be in that same type of situation? Do the Chicago or Mpls/St. Paul media for example similarly dominate the state & draw the youth from their out-state hinterlands?
On this forum I've seen it said that there is a conspiracy of sorts by the Des Moines media & other faces of the city business structure to "brainwash" the hinterland youth of Iowa that Des Moines is their only real option for remaining in the state as regards opportunity & jobs.
It's mind control that is sent out via the broadcast towers in Alleman & via the major cable systems. Youth of Iowa: Know that you cannot resist!
I've even been criticized in various ways here by a couple of posters because I have a fascination for architecture & design & one of the sub-headings of my interest is the skyscraper, in particularly older towers. Thus I have bought into the marvels of Des Moines.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:38 PM

389 posts, read 665,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Regarding those, "...restless dreams of youth." Would you rather that those dreams or desires led them to leave the state entirely & not have them settle in greater Des Moines?
Are you talking to me....or talking at me?

In the event you are talking to me, I'd like to see the state of Iowa have balanced growth at all levels, and in all regions. Right now, the growth is being sucked into the center of the state at the expense of rural areas. I realize Des Moines wants to be to Iowa what Chicago is to Illinois. However, as someone who has lived in both Chicagoland and downstate Illinois, I can tell you that type of arrangement is not healthy for a state.

Illinois has a ton of political/financial problems at the state level, and most of them have been created by the heavy-handed econo-political domination of Chicago interests.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,353,243 times
I lived about 15-20 miles north of Spencer for around 18 years in the Great Lakes.

Spencer is not bad for a small town. Has a better mall than the Lakes Area has. In the summer, you can't beat the Iowa Great Lakes, in terms of entertainment. Lots of nice outside restaurants, good lakes, beaches, bars with live music, restaurants, you name it.

The other 8-9 months out of the year they aren't much better than most small towns. Spencer isn't lacking much that any other small town doesn't have. I'm not too big on small towns so I left when I turned 20 and haven't looked back. That being said, I'm eager to spend a week up at the Lakes just to relax and enjoy what they have to offer. I'm not the kind of person that would like to settle down and have a career there, however.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 PM

21 posts, read 39,247 times
Default Spencer Police Chief Mark Lawson

Well I told you he was Corrupt and no good! Spencer Police Chief Mark Lawson was directly responsible for calling in an Armored Vehicle and a Military Style Hit Squad armed with AR-15's on 15 year old Kyle Lachner after he threatened to harm himself. They scared him so bad he actually killed himself. He was very well liked. The church could not hold all the people that came to his funeral which included his baseball and principle from Lincoln Nebraska! Lawson should be fired and brought before some form of committee to see how legally liable he is as well as the City of Spencer. It is an absolute outrage what they did to this young boy. Check around online and you will see. I wouldn't bring my family to this town for all the tea in China. Lawson is Nuts and this town SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Spencer Police Chief Mark Lawson- atler8

Well atler8 you still think someone has a grudge! Did you here what your wonderful Spencer Police Chief Mark Lawson and his Department did to 15 year old Kyle Lachner on July 21, 2013? This 15 year old boy who was very well liked had threatened to harm himself. Police Chief Mark Lawson surrounds this boys house not allowing the mother to go back in and talk to the boy so he could show everyone what he could do and it blew up in his face... He called a Military Hit squad with an Armored Vehicle, full military geared unit called the Heat! 20 plus armed men with AR-15's. This kid didn't know what to do! They scared him so bad he actually took his life. The church could not hold the amount of people that came to his funeral which included his Baseball Coach and Principal from Lincoln Nebraska. The Citizens of Spencer Iowa are outraged and sickened by this performance and EXTREME show of force on a child 15 years old! Do you think everyone that has a negative comment is holding a grudge now? Lawson is directly responsible for scaring this boy into actually killing himself. Lawson should be fired and held accountable!!!!! Besides him the City of Spencer should also be accountable for allowing this person Mark Lawson to continue operating with this lack of regard for the public... Lawson really thought he was something, but he made a horrible judgement call among many in his career, this being by far the WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 02:35 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,149,007 times
I heard about this, it sounds like the kid shot himself before the big guns were called in anyway. But go ahead and vent if it makes you feel better.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I heard about this, it sounds like the kid shot himself before the big guns were called in anyway. But go ahead and vent if it makes you feel better.
Yep.

Better safe than sorry before he decided to take out others before himself like often happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 PM

For those of you who use all these ridiculous reasons to defend the Over Kill Stage Productions that was introduced to the Spencer Iowa Community by the Spencer Iowa Police Department under the direction of Spencer Iowa Police Chief Mark Lawson on July 21, 2013 against an innocent child by the name of Kyle Lachner who only threatened to hurt himself, and bring in an armed Military Style Unit armed with high powered AR-15s' and an Armored Vehicle you are either a Cop, a friend of a Cop, afraid to speak out against Local Cops or you simply are mentally not capable of grasping or understanding the simplest issues that are brought before you. If you recently watched the news then you saw the exact same style Military Unit that approached the person Aaron Alexis at the Washington Navy Yard who had already shot and killed 12 people. This wasn't a case of a little boy hiding in his house all alone crying for help! The point is not whether Kyle Lachner shot himself before or after the Lack of Attempts or Ill Faded Attempts made by Spencer Iowa Police Chief Mark Lawson and the Spencer Iowa Police Department to even try to stop Kyle Lachner from hurting himself, it was the Spectacle that the Spencer Iowa Police Chief Mark Lawson created to show off the Clearly Noted Newly Formed "HEAT" Squad!!!!! This was done at the expense of a Childs Life... "Better Safe than Sorry" what a shameful, cowardly thing to say. In Atlanta Georgia Aug. 21, 2013 Antoinette Tuff a school clerk disarmed a man with an assault weapon and other guns all by herself. If a lone WOMAN can do that in a situation where many children could have been killed as well as herself why didn't someone from the Spencer Iowa Police Department lead by Police Chief Mark Lawson make an attempt to enter the house and talk to Kyle Lachner Possibly saving his life. It seems as though so many times it is about the Cops safety than anyone else, even a CHILD.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptthug View Post
In Atlanta Georgia Aug. 21, 2013 Antoinette Tuff a school clerk disarmed a man with an assault weapon and other guns all by herself. If a lone WOMAN can do that in a situation where many children could have been killed as well as herself why didn't someone from the Spencer Iowa Police Department lead by Police Chief Mark Lawson make an attempt to enter the house and talk to Kyle Lachner Possibly saving his life. It seems as though so many times it is about the Cops safety than anyone else, even a CHILD.
So put themselves in the line of fire against someone who is clearly unstable?

Just because he says he's not going to harm anyone else doesn't mean anything. The navy shooter told doctors specifically he wasn't going to hurt anyone or himself, prior to his shooting rampage.

It's a tragedy but the NUMBER ONE priority in those situations is protecting other people.

What woukd have happened if a cop came in and the boy shot the cop then went next door and shot the neighbors before shooting himself. That is a very likely situation as well with the proper precautions not in place.

I'm sorry if you think its excessive but had he decided to go kill others before himself (which happens a LOT) everyone would be asking why the police didn't do more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa