U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,840 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I live outside USA(south asia). In 2008 I have applied for immigrant visa and now I have got that. I am coming to the USA in February and I shall get green card after arriving. I am a high school graduate student. I shall apply to Iowa state university at Ames. I am sure that I shall be accepted there(I think that because my SAT and high school result is good) Now I have some confusions about Iowa.
Firstly, USA is completely new to me. I have searched over internet but I have found that job opportunity in Iowa is very low. This state faces several floods in a year and there is severe cold during winter.Is it true?
Secondly, I need part time job to cover my expenses. I can’t fully understand American accent. Will it be easy to get jobs if I come to Iowa?How much I shall be paid per hour and what types of works I should expect to get?

Thirdly, are people in Iowa(ames) amicable to other races? Is sharing apartment available there?
I am really curious about Iowa. Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM

4,759 posts, read 6,442,065 times
The flooding isn't as bad as you've heard. It does get pretty cold and jobs are pretty hard to come by right now, but not impossible...Iowans are pretty accepting of others, but like any state, the bigger the town or city you end up in, the better of you'll be. Easier to blend in, easier to find more like minded people...I imagine you could find an apt. to share in Ames.

Good Luck!!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM

586 posts, read 1,998,375 times
Ames being a major university town has plenty of diversity, including other international students so I wouldn't worry about being singled out because you're not a US native.

For jobs, you're probably looking at something in the retail or food service industry. You may try to see what types of jobs Iowa State University has available to students as well.

The winters here are no joke, but at least you'll be getting here during the tail end of winter if you're coming in late February. Parts of Ames are very flat, wide open spaces so you can feel the full brunt of the wind chill. Luckily, there's enough trees and buildings on campus to provide a good windbreak. I agree with Dport7674, there's no need to really be concerned with the occasional flood.

While Ames isn't an impressively large city in a gorgeous location, I think you'll find the campus to be quite beautiful and the place to be very managable. Welcome to Iowa!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 PM

221 posts, read 1,072,053 times
I loved living in Ames. It is a very nice friendly pretty small city with lots of parks and a vibrant downtown. Rents are high in Ames because it is a University city, but many, many students share apartments and houses and you should be able to easily find roommates. There are many students and professors from a great variety of countries in Ames, so you won't be considered unusual and you should be able to easily find friends.

Ames, like much of the American midwest, is cold and snowy in the winter and hot and muggy (similar to your home weather??) in the summer.

As for jobs, you may be limited depending on your visa status. I know many foreign students have a hard time finding jobs off campus (in town). However, you will probably be able to find a student job on campus. Here is the link to student employment: Financial Aid - Student Job Board | Iowa State University
Here is the link to the international students' office - they will be happy to help you with anything: ISU: International Students & Scholars

Please be sure to go beyond the University to learn more about America - too many foreign students isolate themselves by only interacting with other foreign students. Join a church or club in town, attend lectures at the local public library, and join American Friends so that you can get to know a local family who will show you around. If you can afford it, hop a Greyhound bus and just travel around the state to see how regular Americans live. Some foreign students think Americans are unfriendly, but this is just a cultural difference in behavior. Iowans are not usually outwardly emotional. Say hello to everyone you meet, ask for help when you need it (we love to feel that we are helping others) and get to know us. Have fun!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,840 times
Thanks all of you guys for your helpful information..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or