U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,609,866 times

Advertisements

I went to high school and Junior College there and in high school 80 to 90 percent of the teasing I got in high school were things where race had to be mentioned. Very creatitive, those Iowans. This is pretty sad, when you consider the black population of Iowa is just over 2 percent. Who's running the justice department there, the KKK? Iowa City and Des Moines proably are racially cool along with Council Bluffs, but that is basically Nebraska. The rest of the state, particulary the towns under 5000, is not that progressive at all however.
What does Iowa stand for? (Idiots out walking around!!)
I'm just kidding among that last part. It's too bad Vermont is up there too, I love Vermont and you would not think that a progressive state like VT would be almost up there with Iowa when it comes to this.

FO
Rate this post positively

Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 PM

356 posts, read 1,112,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I went to high school and Junior College there and in high school 80 to 90 percent of the teasing I got in high school were things where race had to be mentioned. Very creatitive, those Iowans. This is pretty sad, when you consider the black population of Iowa is just over 2 percent. Who's running the justice department there, the KKK? Iowa City and Des Moines proably are racially cool along with Council Bluffs, but that is basically Nebraska. The rest of the state, particulary the towns under 5000, is not that progressive at all however.
I'm just kidding among that last part. It's too bad Vermont is up there too, I love Vermont and you would not think that a progressive state like VT would be almost up there with Iowa when it comes to this.

FO
You generalize and catagorize without stats or studies to backup your statements. How many towns under 5000 did you spend any time in?

Old 07-21-2007, 12:18 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,001,199 times
Where do you get that Vermont is progressive anyway?? Vermont is mostly small farm towns, just like Iowa. In fact, most small towns anywhere in America are going to be mostly white.

And you getting teased on race is just like the kids who get called nerds because they wear glasses, or me getting teased because of my acne. In each case someone is getting teased on something they can't help. You on your race, the kid because of his glasses, me because of zits. I could go on and on.

Kids tease just to tease. In your case you have something that is an issue, or at least you make it one. Maybe you should quit crying racism everytime something doesn't go your way and do something to cure the problem. Like stop bringing up racism.

As I recall you brought it up, for no reason at that.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 AM

100 posts, read 501,699 times
What a silly basis for discussion. Race can no more be tied to a state than it can a McDonalds. Its absolutely ridiculous to say that people in Iowa are somehow more racist/(or even less) than anywhere else. Dubuque is less than a mile from BOTH Wisconsin and Illinios; do you think there is a massive difference in attitudes of people who live less than a mile away? The whole issue is silly.

To clarify, Iowa is FAR larger than Vermont, and considerably more urban. Iowa has 5x Vermont's population (2.9mil vs. 600K), and has many more cities. Vermont's largest city has 39,000 people, about the size of Ankeny or Urbandale (Des Moines suburbs).

Old 07-22-2007, 01:29 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,001,199 times
That's kind of why I was wondering about the OP saying Vermont was progressive. They do have legal public nudity though.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,360,892 times
Also, just because the state has an overly white majority, does not mean it is not progressive. What should we do, bus in a bunch of black people? We can't help who lives in the state, it is what it is. I think the question should be posed to black people (and other races) elsewhere....why aren't YOU moving to the great state of Iowa?

Growing up, although I am not black, I NEVER heard any racist remarks in school, albeit I grew up in a large city. There were a relatively large minority of black people in my schools (more than 2%), people got along...it wasn't until I moved down south that I first heard racism. So in my experience, Iowa was the least racist area I have ever lived in.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 PM

16 posts, read 56,743 times
Why must the race card always be played when there is no basis for it???Does 'progressive' mean that the people bend over backwards to make sure that the 'non-white' people that are new to the town get every imaginable perk and benefit? Sounds like Je$$e Jack$on has been feeding you info on Iowa towns. Please leave race out of it (by the way, it is much worse in the cities you mentioned than in the rural areas).

Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 AM

55,654 posts, read 49,515,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

FO

I am sorry to here about you experience in Ioaw. With that said, that isn't the only place. Try the rural sections of GA. I should know. I went to school in the rural exurbs outside Atlanta and there was alot of racial tensions.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:30 AM

23 posts, read 83,486 times
What year was it that you went to school here?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:36 AM

26 posts, read 97,000 times
I go to school in a town of 2,500 and there are 17 blacks 21 asian 11 hispanics (this is in rural central Iowa) and you can find quite a lot of blacks in Des Miones schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or