U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,941,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguy49 View Post
thank you Mr lucky. I still am up in the air about CF but will need to visit the town this summer to see what it is like first hand. I have had only 1 response to my query and that was yours and I appreciate your post. I just need to re locate to a town that will have good health care resources and opportunities for me and my wife to enjoy neighbors and the environment without concern for criminal behavior.
We were in Iowa in March (we got married in Decorah)... and we'd hoped to check out Cedar Falls but ran out of time.

We are hoping maybe we can come up in the summer but not sure. So if you do go visit, please post and let me know what you think of it!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 PM

4,111 posts, read 8,005,167 times
Default I don't mean to be rude but:

Are there really ANY bad sides of town? The kind of thing that I would actually consider bad? Or are there just areas of town where black people live? And maybe a few impoverished whites? Black people are just people like you and me and only an ignoramus would equate "black" with "ghetto" or "crime". I'm not talking statistically overall. I'm just saying that's an ignorant assumption on a case by case basis.

Last time I checked, Iowa has one of the lowest crime rates of any state in the country. Sure, you can say that's because of the rural areas. But if the cities were crime-ridden, there's no way it would still be able to hold this badge. An impoverished young black man living in an urban area in Iowa is still living in Iowa.. lol.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,941,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Are there really ANY bad sides of town? The kind of thing that I would actually consider bad? Or are there just areas of town where black people live? And maybe a few impoverished whites? Black people are just people like you and me and only an ignoramus would equate "black" with "ghetto" or "crime". I'm not talking statistically overall. I'm just saying that's an ignorant assumption on a case by case basis.

Last time I checked, Iowa has one of the lowest crime rates of any state in the country. Sure, you can say that's because of the rural areas. But if the cities were crime-ridden, there's no way it would still be able to hold this badge. An impoverished young black man living in an urban area in Iowa is still living in Iowa.. lol.
I don't remember anyone saying anything about race?

But overall, that's why I posted this thread, because the one person who was telling me about how Waterloo was "bad" is just one person and I wanted other input.

Where I live, currently, I am an ethnic minority. I am an "impoverished white" living in a heavily Hispanic town and in an even heavier Hispanic neighborhood. It's often called "the worst" an "bad" and all sorts of things, by others in this city who have certain ideas in their mind based on news reports from 15 years ago (when it WAS pretty bad).

It is a poor neighborhood, I won't sugar coat it, but it is not an unsafe one, at least not for the 4 years I've lived here. Often loud, yes, and unattractive in many ways, and lots of foot traffic and loose dogs....but affordable and we've experienced no safety issues (well aside from the dogs). Many of the stereotypes of my neighborhood here in Texas come solely because it's a low income area.

So in other words, I am not afraid of "poor" areas. Hell, until I finish school I will most likely have to live in said "poor" areas so no point in being afraid!

Bottom line is, we need to live where it's cheap and no one is going to be hateful towards us for the kind of family we are, which is mixed Mexican American and White, lesbian couple who are full time students, with 3 kids, dogs, cats, a crappy car, and not a lot of money!

SO, we wouldn't want to live around ANY people who are rude/prejudiced towards us based on outward appearances, be they black or white! Just as we wouldn't ever shun someone for those same reasons, we expect to be treated with courtesy (or at least ignored, lol!) ...

Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 PM

4,111 posts, read 8,005,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
I don't remember anyone saying anything about race?
Hence, my question. Since, I highly doubt there even is any "bad" side of town as in "a side of town with lots of crime". I asked if this question was really just CODE for "Where do the black people live?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
But overall, that's why I posted this thread, because the one person who was telling me about how Waterloo was "bad" is just one person and I wanted other input.

Where I live, currently, I am an ethnic minority. I am an "impoverished white" living in a heavily Hispanic town and in an even heavier Hispanic neighborhood. It's often called "the worst" an "bad" and all sorts of things, by others in this city who have certain ideas in their mind based on news reports from 15 years ago (when it WAS pretty bad).

It is a poor neighborhood, I won't sugar coat it, but it is not an unsafe one, at least not for the 4 years I've lived here. Often loud, yes, and unattractive in many ways, and lots of foot traffic and loose dogs....but affordable and we've experienced no safety issues (well aside from the dogs). Many of the stereotypes of my neighborhood here in Texas come solely because it's a low income area.

So in other words, I am not afraid of "poor" areas. Hell, until I finish school I will most likely have to live in said "poor" areas so no point in being afraid!

Bottom line is, we need to live where it's cheap and no one is going to be hateful towards us for the kind of family we are, which is mixed Mexican American and White, lesbian couple who are full time students, with 3 kids, dogs, cats, a crappy car, and not a lot of money!

SO, we wouldn't want to live around ANY people who are rude/prejudiced towards us based on outward appearances, be they black or white! Just as we wouldn't ever shun someone for those same reasons, we expect to be treated with courtesy (or at least ignored, lol!) ...
Fair enough.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:49 AM

449 posts, read 1,269,077 times
[quote=urza216;18762249]Hence, my question. Since, I highly doubt there even is any "bad" side of town as in "a side of town with lots of crime". I asked if this question was really just CODE for "Where do the black people live?"

I can't speak for anyone else but my response to the OP was in terms of crime. No hidden code was considered or used. I was born and raised in Iowa (Davenport), and I can tell you that there are many areas in that town that has a lot of crime and would be considered BAD. There are lots of crime reports online to verify that. I am not picking on Davenport as most every city has areas with more crime than others. People have the right to live in the safest parts of a town they can, and one of the ways to determine that is to see where the crime/BAD parts of a town are.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,340 times
I'm trying to help my son and his new wife find a place to live in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls are. He will be working at Covenant Hospital for 2 years. Any suggestions? They would like to rent a house or condo.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 PM

159 posts, read 570,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance Davidson View Post
I'm trying to help my son and his new wife find a place to live in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls are. He will be working at Covenant Hospital for 2 years. Any suggestions? They would like to rent a house or condo.
There are tons of apartments very close to Covenant, but I'm not sure how nice they are. The neighborhood is great, though, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice place close to the hospital. I don't know what level of detail you're looking for, so if you have any questions, let me know I lived in Waterloo for 26 years and my dad works at Covenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or