U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,937,948 times
Reputation: 4030

Advertisements

I was looking on Craigslist and some other internet sites and found some insanely cheap houses for sale in Cedar Falls and Waterloo.

I asked a FB acquaintance as to why they were so cheap and he said the particular area was full of drugs and gang violence and shootings.

The house in question (that I was told was in a dangerous area) was in Waterloo, on 4th street.

Another was on Sumner street, in Waterloo. I love old houses, both were built around or before 1900.

We are looking at moving to Cedar Falls (preferably) or Waterloo (if we must) to attend the University of Northern Iowa but because we are a couple with kids and "non traditional" students we will NOT be living on campus. Plus, we have dogs and cats, need alternative options.

What about safe / decent mobile home communities? We just need a basic roof over our heads (with the animals and kids) until we finish school. Anything we find will be rather temporary, so we'd like to keep it as cheap as possible.
So I am seeing what's out there and curious about why some of these places are so cheap and if Cedar falls has a "bad side" to watch out for.

Also, keep in mind I live in a "bad side" of town currently, in a large city (San Antonio), and have in this "bad" neighborhood almost 4 years and I am not skittish, really, and find that most bad stuff happens between the bad guys and the regular folk get left out of it. Many, many times "poor" is confused with "bad", I've found.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Bettendorf, IA
449 posts, read 1,268,365 times
Reputation: 210
I would skip Waterloo and just concentrate on C.F. Heck, you can probably find a good older home just a few blocks from campus and walk there. Why live three or four miles away in a place that is in a bad area then have to drive to school? C.F. has lots of older homes as well for just a few bucks more than what you can find in Waterloo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,937,948 times
Reputation: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
I would skip Waterloo and just concentrate on C.F. Heck, you can probably find a good older home just a few blocks from campus and walk there. Why live three or four miles away in a place that is in a bad area then have to drive to school? C.F. has lots of older homes as well for just a few bucks more than what you can find in Waterloo.
Thanks! I don't know anything about either of these places aside from what I've learned here on city-data and elsewhere on the net. We will take a quick visit in March but sometimes you don't get a good feel for a neighborhood without spending a few days there, and we won't have time to do that, so I appreciate the info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Bettendorf, IA
449 posts, read 1,268,365 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Thanks! I don't know anything about either of these places aside from what I've learned here on city-data and elsewhere on the net. We will take a quick visit in March but sometimes you don't get a good feel for a neighborhood without spending a few days there, and we won't have time to do that, so I appreciate the info!
To get a feel for some of the schools' performances in Waterloo and Cedar Falls you can try Great Schools. The site offeres a rating scale on most public and private schools. There is a direct link to Waterloos Schools, but there is a manual search engine where you can type in Cedar Falls, IA and get their rankings. I am sure the state of Iowa has something somewhat similar if you go to the state's Department of Education.

To see pictures of homes and their values, try Realtor.com. The site has improved a lot over the years and now seems to be fairly current in its information. I think the site might even have informaiton on rentals. At least you can get a feel of neighborhoods.

Good luck with your search. Northern Iowa is a decent school. I think your family will like the expereince.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
 
14 posts, read 38,596 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
So I am seeing what's out there and curious about why some of these places are so cheap and if Cedar falls has a "bad side" to watch out for.
Cedar Falls doesn't have a "bad side".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,937,948 times
Reputation: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Portugal View Post
Cedar Falls doesn't have a "bad side".
Good to know. I've never lived in such a place! Even my small, "bedroom community" hometown in Texas had it's bad pockets! By small town standards at least.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,937,948 times
Reputation: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
To get a feel for some of the schools' performances in Waterloo and Cedar Falls you can try Great Schools. The site offeres a rating scale on most public and private schools. There is a direct link to Waterloos Schools, but there is a manual search engine where you can type in Cedar Falls, IA and get their rankings. I am sure the state of Iowa has something somewhat similar if you go to the state's Department of Education.

To see pictures of homes and their values, try Realtor.com. The site has improved a lot over the years and now seems to be fairly current in its information. I think the site might even have informaiton on rentals. At least you can get a feel of neighborhoods.

Good luck with your search. Northern Iowa is a decent school. I think your family will like the expereince.
thanks so much.

We really like older homes and those seem more abundant in Waterloo but we probably won't buy right away anyway.. well most likely. On the other hand if we came across a really good deal, it would beat trying to rent with multiple animals in tow!

We are both very excited. Thanks for the info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM
 
2 posts, read 17,039 times
Reputation: 10
I am looking to move to a small city in Ia from Wisconsin where the government is condemning teachers in the public schools and taking away their rights. I am a retired educator and looking for a nice low crime rate city with lower taxes. My wife is from China and so an open minded community with tolerance for people that are not White Anglo Saxon Protestants would be ideal. I am not a wealthy business man but a middle class retired educator. Is Cedar Falls the place for me???? Any responses would be very appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 AM
 
9 posts, read 28,995 times
Reputation: 14
I went to school there and love the city. Cedar Falls has always had a reputation, for it's efforts, to maintain a high level quality of life for the citizens. Great schools, great parks and walking trails, the music festival every year. Nice houses, the "Parkade" downtown. What is there not to like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
 
2 posts, read 17,039 times
Reputation: 10
thank you Mr lucky. I still am up in the air about CF but will need to visit the town this summer to see what it is like first hand. I have had only 1 response to my query and that was yours and I appreciate your post. I just need to re locate to a town that will have good health care resources and opportunities for me and my wife to enjoy neighbors and the environment without concern for criminal behavior.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top