Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 AM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times

Advertisements

Hello Regulars. This is my 1st post. I've been researching this site for the past week.

I currently live on the IL side of the Wisconsin Border. I'm about 70 miles from Dubuque. Looking to get out of IL. The Property Taxes are killing me, and other Political issues down right bother me. I no longer have to worry about schools. The kids are grown. I'm a single middle-aged woman, and my single 27yr old son will be moving with me.

We are both grunt workers. Nothing special about our education. How's the current employment for grunt workers our age/sex? (This site seems to focus on the college career prospects) Rural Stephenson County, IL and rural Green county, WI both have populations under 50,000... so jobs are limited.

If we live within the city limits... is public transportation pretty good? My son can't afford a car right now. His insurance is too high.

I'm currently painting the house, hoping to list it For Sale by Owner... March 1st. Obviously this isn't the best housing market, but I remain hopeful.

Here's what I'm hoping.... Hoping to get my hands on a Foreclosed or Pre-Forclosure Home under $50,000. I'm hoping to find a place that's appraised around $100,000 but I somehow get lucky and find it for under $50,000???

(My current home is Tax Appraised around $85,000 and my Property Taxes are $2,000/yr - rumor has it they are going UP)

I realize that is more of a Real Estate question, but maybe somebody here can help me? Or which Realtors might be good contacts for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,881 times
Hi,

I just received a job offer with IBM and will be relocating to Dubuque, IA from Colorado! If you had to describe the city and different surrounding areas, how would you 'generalize' the areas? Old? New? Close to shopping? Fresh? "Bad part of town" etc...

Where are cheaper homes, but yet great neighborhoods? What are the commutes in these locations?

Thank you for all your help!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM

105 posts, read 331,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymts View Post
Hi,

I just received a job offer with IBM and will be relocating to Dubuque, IA from Colorado! If you had to describe the city and different surrounding areas, how would you 'generalize' the areas? Old? New? Close to shopping? Fresh? "Bad part of town" etc...

Where are cheaper homes, but yet great neighborhoods? What are the commutes in these locations?

Thank you for all your help!
I just recently came back from a road trip and went through Dubuque and it looked awful and run down. I drove all through neighborhoods looking at houses. The buildings look very historic but run down. Looks like it use to be a nice town once.

I also went to Galena Illinois only 16 miles from Dubuque and met this girl working at the pet store. We got to talking and she told me she just packed her car one day and left Florida to look for a new place to live and thought of living in Dubuque. When she saw Dubuque she was turned off and by chance happen to drive into Galena and fell in love with its small town charm and been living there ever since.

This is just what I have seen of Dubuque. I would definitely visit first. I live in Des Moines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa