U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 AM

9,261 posts, read 17,911,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm not trying to be negative here, but by almost every measure, doesn't Iowa City stack up way above Ames as a college town?
What measures are you talking about? Both towns have good colleges, both have plenty of housing, both have necessary services. I thought the point of going to college was to get a degree; so wouldn't the "best college town" be the one that has the college that will best prepare you for entering your chosen field?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:23 PM

47 posts, read 137,918 times
Honestly, Ames is more a small town. If you want to experience a city, you'd want to drive to Des Moines; for a big city I've driven up to Minneapolis often. It's about 3 hours even, but the ride is quiet (unless it's snowing)! This is an older thread, but may be of help to you: //www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...in-pluses.html

Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM

9 posts, read 22,788 times
Hey Hello,

You are quite familiar with the place. I jut got accepted in ISU grad programme and will be moving to Ames in January. I am international student and completely clueless about finding a decent place to live. I am looking for furnished and CLEAN one bedroom units. And cheaper. I would be grateful for your help. I am open to all kinda suggestions. Would it be a good idea to rent a room in a house with a decent family. I wonder If I will be able to find a clean, furnished, one bedroom unit and cheaper.

Thanx.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Hey Hello, probably your experience could help me find a decent place to live. I just got accepted in ISU and looking for one bedroom units. Furnished, clean and Cheap. I have googled all the available choices but couldnt find any. Can you suggest some place.

Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianp82 View Post
I recently got accepted to a graduate program at Iowa State University. I grew up in a small town on the east coast, but have lived in relatively large cities ever since. I know absolutely nothing about Ames, Iowa. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I live in Portland now and tend to enjoy places that are relatively progressive, friendly, and artsy.

Does Ames have a large downtown? Are there coffee shops, bars, interesting restaurants, etc. or is it mostly homes and chain stores?

Are there outdoor activities (hiking, mountain biking, etc.)?

Is it the sort of place where you see families walking around?

Are there any young, single people?

Thanks for any information!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM

Hey I will be moving to Ames in January. I am a grad student and looking for a decent place to live. Can u suggest nice, clean, furnished and cheaper place to live, the ones that google doesnt show.

Thanx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianp82 View Post
Thanks for the information. Can anyone provide information on a good neighborhood/street to look for apartments on. I'm an older student who would prefer not to live near undergrads. I am looking for a family-friendly area with a little character. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 PM

47 posts, read 137,918 times
This site is good for rentals; I can't give specifics since I haven't lived in Ames for years now and never rented an apartment as small: Ames, IA Apartments and Houses for Rent, Local Apartment and Home Rentals, House, Townhome, and Condo Rentals, Vacation Rentals, Roommate and Sublet Classifieds :: . Best of luck!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM

17 posts, read 36,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnew View Post
Hey I will be moving to Ames in January. I am a grad student and looking for a decent place to live. Can u suggest nice, clean, furnished and cheaper place to live, the ones that google doesnt show.

Thanx.
I wouldn't recommend trying to find something on google in Ames. I think your best shot will be contacting the landlords in the city. also mostly you won't find a fully furnished place.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM

Hey thanx, how do I contact the landlords. I mean how would I find out if anyone is interested in renting out the place. Is there any local website where people advertise. and which one is the interesting area to live. How is the down town. I really don't want to live in a very quiet area. And hows The Grove apartment building. It really looks nice in pics though. The apartments are bright and clean, attached bathrooms and the management generates activity too. Although I am very disappointed to read some some very bad reviews. What do u think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa