Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,995 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Waterloo for the past 23 years. There is a lot of diversity for the size of the town is it, and very blue collar. Big John Deere plant that really is the big money maker for the town. Entertainment wise, you get what get with a town that only has 68,000 people. It's not that bad, just like every city it has it's hot spots, are things getting better..don't think so, are things getting worse...don't think so, everything just kind of stays the same and it seems like people are content with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 47,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtguy04 View Post
I've lived in Waterloo for the past 23 years. There is a lot of diversity for the size of the town is it, and very blue collar. Big John Deere plant that really is the big money maker for the town. Entertainment wise, you get what get with a town that only has 68,000 people. It's not that bad, just like every city it has it's hot spots, are things getting better..don't think so, are things getting worse...don't think so, everything just kind of stays the same and it seems like people are content with that.
Diverse for sure - blacks and bosnians to be exact. Most of the blacks live on the East side. As for hot spots in the loo - I'm not aware of these, there really is no entertainment areas I recollect.

It's really not that bad of an area as many like to exaggerate, however - if I were to ever move back I would HAVE to live in a surrounding community or rural area. The town is too dirty for me!!!!!! Why can't they clean it up!?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 37,793 times
Default Waterloo is a good place

My thoughts on Waterloo is for the most part positive. The cost of living is very low and so is the crime rate. You say Des Moines had 5 Murders and Waterloo had 1. For those that are not from Iowa that is incredibly low. I lived in Rockford, IL and I had 9 murders within 4 block of me in the summer I lived there. Keep in mind though even if it's only 1 murder if it's you that gets murdered that's to many. Iowa is a wonderful state and so are all the towns. The only thing bad about Waterloo is it does look run down. But it maybe where I retire. It has one thing like the rest of Iowa has. A slower pace of life, a very low cost of living and the people are wonderful.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,669 times
can someone tell me if there was someone who was murdered in the year of 1999, and if it ws an old man? If it was, please tell me his name!!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyZ View Post
My thoughts on Waterloo is for the most part positive. The cost of living is very low and so is the crime rate. You say Des Moines had 5 Murders and Waterloo had 1. For those that are not from Iowa that is incredibly low. I lived in Rockford, IL and I had 9 murders within 4 block of me in the summer I lived there. Keep in mind though even if it's only 1 murder if it's you that gets murdered that's to many. Iowa is a wonderful state and so are all the towns. The only thing bad about Waterloo is it does look run down. But it maybe where I retire. It has one thing like the rest of Iowa has. A slower pace of life, a very low cost of living and the people are wonderful.
That might be true, but how to convince others in another matter. Many people like to hate on Waterloo for some reason.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times
Anyone from Waterloo know how safe the Dawson st. part is?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,267 times
Dawson St. area is sort of a mix of bad and good. It's still part of Northeast area which is generally higher crime.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
I have heard various stories on Waterloo regarding crime as well. I do have relatives there. From what I have gathered it is a pretty blue collar town. I think John Deere or some major company there (I can't remember the name) closed its doors and a lot of people are unemployed. I have heard some bad things about the high schools.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I have a family member working in Waterloo right now. I learned from him this: The biggest problem he has isn't crime, but boredom. According to him, outside of Waterloo, there is nothing else. He hasn't had any issues working in the Waterloo area.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM

48 posts, read 116,182 times
keep in mind that cedar falls is a college town, and reputation aside, the neighborhood to which I just moved in Waterloo is (in general) about 10 time as aesthetically pleasing. In CF you have the landlords who legitimately do no want to spend more than they have to, and college kids who don't really care what their housing looks like, and thus about every 5th house (especially around the college) looks a tad rough.

As a younger guy, I lived on the corner of independence and Nevada, which was not FIRMLY in the ghetto, but it was close enough. As someone else said, if you go looking for trouble, you will find it. I minded my own business, and people generally left me alone. Where im at now (right by west high) actually seems to be a more personable neighborhood than the one in which i lived in CF (right by CFH).

Its my opinion that factional violence has more to do with our bad reputation...we have a lot of black, serbian/boz, hispanic, and increasing numbers of Laotian/thai/indian/other minorities. Whenever you have different cultures colliding you have violence, and it seems that much of the crime is intra-factional (mexican on hatian, for example).

I could be wrong.

I do miss small town Iowa, but thats me, not waterloo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa