Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,385 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello C.R.-[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] For quite a while now I’ve been reading up on Cedar Rapids and have basically decided to relocate to the area. Would you give a thumbs-up to the area? I would appreciate any opinions on apartments within a 25 mile radius of the city; want to be away from the hustle and bustle. I’m single with no kids so I don’t need to be near a school, but a park with a lake close by would be great. I prefer a 2 bed room, garden level, W/D hookup, cable/internet ready, and most of all - QUIET. Some place that you get to know your neighbors before you’re done moving in. Need info on good Pizza, Mexican, Italian, Burgers, and a good old Mom & Pop Diner. Pretty much opinions on everything.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Froid[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
I'm not sure there are a ton of Cedar Rapids people on here, unfortunately. I live in Iowa City, so I'm close by, but I don't spend much time in CR, so I can't offer much.

If you really don't mind living a little ways out of town, you might look into North Liberty, which is about 15 miles south of Cedar Rapids and 5 miles north of Iowa City/Coralville. Its a small, but growing community and it would give you easy access to Lake Macbride and Sugar Bottom Recreational area, as well as only being a few minutes from the concerts, sports, and restaurants in Iowa City (which are pretty top-notch).

Sorry I can't provide much info on CR, but hope this info gives you a little something more to consider. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,624 times
The city of Cedar Rapids is divided into 4 quadrants. Each side of town has quiet areas. I would say that the NE side probably has some of the oldest, quietest neighborhoods. The far SE side is pretty isolated from the rest of the city, and also has quiet areas. There are many parks all around the city, no matter which side you live on, there is a recreation are just outside of town in any direction. There are quite a few Mexican restaurants in town, my favorite is Hacienda Las Glorias. There are a number of burger joints in town, the Starlite,Irish Democrat,and Maid-rite all come to mind. Of course there is also every fast food joint known to man in Cedar Rapids as well.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM

19 posts, read 51,129 times
Marion is safest and quietest hub city around Cedar Rapids. I lived in Marion, Hiawatha, Cedar Rapids (several different parts), and 2 small towns about 1/2 hour from CR. Marion will also have higher cost for housing so kind of got to balance it out. Many people will claim stay away from SE (south east) side but it really is just the NEAR SE side and once past 19th street it is an entirely different area. You can literally cross 19th street and go from trashy rental chop house to $300k+ house lived in by high income professionals. I actually know a millionaire who lives within a block of 19th st.
If I had to choose again to live in CR metro area I would probably pick North side of Marion for the quiet small town family feel and safety. hope that helps some.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:35 PM

19 posts, read 51,129 times
When I said SE side I meant Cedar rapids SE NOT Marion, sorry for any confusion. marion generally is referred to as North & South while CR has NE, SE, NW, SW sides.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,385 times
Thanks for your help everyone. I have moved to Marion. It's nice and quite. Haven't had much of a chance to really look around yet, but getting set-up in a new place the folks over to Wal-Mart are getting to know my face. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa