Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,513 times

Advertisements

Between the "Conservative vs. Liberal" thread that's now evolved into a a discussion of horrible people with bad taste in things and another thread on absolutedsm.com, I've been reminded about a bone I have to pick with my home state. Why does a state that is triangulated between 3 good music scenes (Chicago, Omaha, and the Twin Cities), not to mention being home to a few good bands of its own, have such terrible radio?

About a year and a half ago my dad had surgery at Mary Greeley, and I came home to look after him and mom for a week or so. Every day we'd spend about 45 minutes in the car going from my hometown to Ames to see dad and another 45 going back. Since I was driving, I got to choose the radio stations. I'd scan the FM band and mostly end up with the rock stations I've known since forever: KGGO 94.9, KAZR 103.3, KKDM 107.5, and KFMW 107.9 out of Waterloo when we were in range.

Almost every day, I'd hear the same stuff I was listening to when I'd make the same trip to visit my buddies at ISU 15 years ago: Metallica (from the Black Album or earlier), Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and maybe some Nirvana or early Pearl Jam. All of which I love, but hearing it day after day got a little surreal after a while, like I was in some sort of time warp. It seems the only real change from back then was that now some really terrible nu-metal occasionally worked its way into the rotation; Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, etc. You know, the bands people love to hate on, and with good reason.

I know that there's good music that comes from Iowa. Everybody knows Slipknot - not really my favorites but I wish them well. There are bands like The Nadas and Bright Giant out of Des Moines, Death Ships from Iowa City, and Giants from Cedar Falls, and I'm sure plenty of others that I'm overlooking. The 80/35 festival brings a great mix of established acts and hip new ones into Des Moines every summer. The Daytrotter Sessions podcast is a very well respected showcase for indie music out of the Quad Cities. So why isn't any of that reflected in the radio landscape? Or are there amazing stations out there that I just somehow missed completely?

edit: Maybe I'm expecting too much out of commercial radio, considering that a. Iowa doesn't have any truly major markets and b. it's mostly crap anyway almost anywhere you go in the country. Even here in San Francisco, supposedly one of the hippest cities in the country, the offerings are fairly sad. But what about Public Radio? KCMP 89.3 out of Minneapolis is a great station that I sometimes listen to via internet. They have an excellent and eclectic mix of all sorts of modern music- rock, indie, hip-hop, etc. Is there anything like that in Iowa and, if not, why???

Last edited by Stavemaster; 03-17-2011 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: further thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:37 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,512 times
105.1 in Ames (you can pick up the signal in Des Moines) is billed as a "new rock" station. They play more of the music you're talking about and even have segments that focus on locallly made music.

All three of the big college towns in Iowa have their own indy radio stations as well. I agree that radio sucks in DSM, but there are definitely a few stations around that play a mix of music and still have plenty of local roots.

A newer station in Des Moines is 94.1 "The Dog", which is split between Drake and Grand View Universities has potential, but is largely an amateur hour at the moment.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,621 times
I just don't think there are enough people in Iowa, particularly in the urban areas, to have a big music scene. There are a lot of rockabilly/country bands, but nobody really famous beyond the bar they play at. The radio stations reflect this stale condition.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Yeah, the radio isn't so great here. There used to be KMFG a long time ago that would play some edgier stuff at night and even KGGO had a good show on Sunday nights that would play more obscure stuff - I remember stuff like The Cure, Stone Roses, Ministry, etc. Every now and then there will be a decent high school program on KDPS 88.1. NPR occasionally has good music programs, but I can't get into most of the music they play (world music, blues for and by middle class white people, etc)

As far as "being sandwiched between three good music scenes". We are, but I think that discredits a lot of what happens here. There are some good venues in Iowa that get a lot of shows and people doing some interesting DIY stuff. I think live music in Iowa is one of the most under-utilized things we have going for us here.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Yeah, the radio isn't so great here. There used to be KMFG a long time ago that would play some edgier stuff at night and even KGGO had a good show on Sunday nights that would play more obscure stuff - I remember stuff like The Cure, Stone Roses, Ministry, etc. Every now and then there will be a decent high school program on KDPS 88.1. NPR occasionally has good music programs, but I can't get into most of the music they play (world music, blues for and by middle class white people, etc)
Are you referring to KGGO's "Over The Edge"? That was a long time ago, back when I was in high school I used to call in every now and again to make requests. Back when Rollins Band hit big with "Liar", I asked them to play a few other really great tracks off that album but unfortunately they just played the big hit Also around that time KKDM was still an alternative station. On Sundays they'd have a thing where they'd bring listeners in as guest DJs and you could hear some good stuff then. I guess my gripe is that we used to have decent radio, but then it just seems to have stagnated over the last 15-odd years.

As for NPR, KUNI has some good late night shows if you're in NE Iowa, but I agree that most IPR music is boring as hell. I do like their talk and news shows, though.

Quote:
As far as "being sandwiched between three good music scenes". We are, but I think that discredits a lot of what happens here. There are some good venues in Iowa that get a lot of shows and people doing some interesting DIY stuff. I think live music in Iowa is one of the most under-utilized things we have going for us here.
I guess there's something to that. Live shows are a great thing but unfortunately not everyone can make it out to a good show all the time. But anyone can turn on the radio whenever they want. Unfortunately if they do, they're likely to hear a lot of crap. Or good stuff that's been so overplayed that you lose your appreciation for it.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
In eastern Iowa you're lucky to get Metallica. Most rock stations turned into classic rock and play Fleetwood Mac, Eagles and Foreigner over and over.

93.5 used to play stuff like Radiohead and other college radio type bands, but last time I was in town it had turned into an easy listening 80's station.

Edit: Are radio stations only allowed to play songs released as singles? Why do they only play the same 100 songs over and over? Why do they play the same 5 Pink Floyd songs, when there are some really good Floyd songs I've never heard on the radio?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Are you referring to KGGO's "Over The Edge"? That was a long time ago, back when I was in high school I used to call in every now and again to make requests. Back when Rollins Band hit big with "Liar", I asked them to play a few other really great tracks off that album but unfortunately they just played the big hit

Hmm, that may have been it. I remember it was on Sunday nights but something like Rollins Band would've been the sort of thing they would've played.

Quote:
Also around that time KKDM was still an alternative station. On Sundays they'd have a thing where they'd bring listeners in as guest DJs and you could hear some good stuff then.
I remember the programming director (at least I think she was? or maybe just a DJ?) Sophia John had a lot of involvement with local music. They helped out The Safari (Hairy Mary's) by basically paying to put up a 107.5 banner, knowing good and well that most people that went there weren't interested in listening to POTUSA or Tripping Daisy and you would actually see her at shows. Apparently that station actually had a good catalog of music - it's just that they didn't play it often.

Quote:
I guess my gripe is that we used to have decent radio, but then it just seems to have stagnated over the last 15-odd years.
I kind of wonder if this is a national phenomena more than anything, as more people are turning towards stuff like mp3, internet radio, xm, etc? But even before these things the airwaves were pretty lame around here though too :::shrugs:::

Quote:
Edit: Are radio stations only allowed to play songs released as singles? Why do they only play the same 100 songs over and over? Why do they play the same 5 Pink Floyd songs, when there are some really good Floyd songs I've never heard on the radio?
I think so. I think many radio stations are basically chains and the programming is done by their corporate headquarters, with the local station maybe getting a little bit of a say here and there. They're just selling local ad space and adding a bit of chatter. I guess I don't know why the record companies limit the radio stations to singles, especially with something as old as Pink Floyd. I can understand really wanting to push a hit single on a new release.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I think so. I think many radio stations are basically chains and the programming is done by their corporate headquarters, with the local station maybe getting a little bit of a say here and there. They're just selling local ad space and adding a bit of chatter. I guess I don't know why the record companies limit the radio stations to singles, especially with something as old as Pink Floyd. I can understand really wanting to push a hit single on a new release.
I think where things started to go downhill was with the Telecommunications Act of 1996 which allowed Clear Channel to buy basically every American radio station in existence, and feed them all the same bland, boring playlists. That's who I'm going to blame, anyway.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times
Quote:

Stone Roses had that "let me put you in the picture, let me show you what I mean" song, lol.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
I have missed 89.7 KRUI terribly since I moved away from Iowa City.

My students were telling me that there is some new radio station that is starting up in Des Moines, and while they're testing their equipment they're playing nothing but baby noises. Is this true, or is this another freshman urban legend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa