U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
 
9,411 posts, read 10,374,255 times
Reputation: 8537

Advertisements

I emailed a friend who did pest control in Burlington for more than 10 years and asked about bats. Here was the reply:

"I never had a lot of bat calls. As far as I know bats aren't any worse in Burlington than any other place. Maybe in the North Hill area because of older basements and stuff, but I wouldn't say Burlington has a "bat problem""
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
 
7 posts, read 13,162 times
Reputation: 12
that's because people are used to it here. It's part of their life. I have talked to moms in the area who do not live in North Hill. One mom told me of a time when she was rocking her baby to sleep in dimly lit bedroom when a she felt something flutter in her hair a couple of times. When she got up to investigate, it was a bat flying around in the baby's room. She called her husband in and he took care of it. Another mom I know with a large family told me that when she gets bats in her home she just throws a towel or sheet over them then winds the material up and bam hits it on the floor. I told her that I was told not to kill them. She said ya but when they get in your house it's fair game. I also talked to a woman at the antique store about it and she said Oh ya everyone has a bat story out here. I asked if there was someway to bat proof your house. I just got laughed at. Caulk everything up air tight and make sure you don't leave your door open, repair every little hole in your screens. They are like mice. They can squeeze through the smallest opening and look for cool places, like basements and homes with air conditioning, as they follow the air flow. Our neighbor to the first house we rented said they had a few bats in their house before. They come in down the chimney. And he had been bitten by one. We got one in our basement, and in our livingroom the first year after buying our first house! I stuffed my chimney and we never leave the windows open at night anymore. My daughter's classmate said they found one in the pile of dirty clothes in their basement. We ran out of Hobby Lobby one night while paying for our merchandise because one was circling over our heads. Even the cashier was scared. The manager just tried to keep everyone calm. I'm telling you Its just a part of life out here. The bats are protected and if you grew up that way then I guess It's no big deal. But to an outsider it can be very disconcerting. It's not something I want to become accustomed to as a way of life. we all ready have had to adjust to tornado sirens all spring, severe humidity, keeping mold in check in the nasty basements, horrible street conditions, driving in the icy snow all over steep hills, ridiculous parking conditions, high property taxes, etc. etc. I'm sure this person you talked to regarding pest control said it was not a huge thing, because people take care of it themselves. Bats are supposedly protected out here, but from everyone I have talked to ( and I questioned everyone, everywhere I went the first year) said the same thing, If they get in your home they are fair game.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Morris, MN
135 posts, read 564,826 times
Reputation: 120
Wow! I lived in Burlington from 98-99. I was young and single; it was my first real job out of college. I grew up in the Quad Cities, Moline specifically, and found the culture to be similar to the Quad Cities. I also went to college in Clinton for a few years. When compared to Clinton, quality of life was a lot better in Burlington. Much cleaner air. In general, I thought Burlington was better off than the Quad Cities during the late 90s; however, it still would be considered a down economy.

I never saw a bat while living in Burlington, and I lived in the Newbury Village. When I moved to the twin cities, I had a third-floor apartment with a bat problem. Bats exist everywhere. It all boils down to how well the building was constructed and maintained.

I left Burlington on a job transfer. Looking back, I welcomed the transfer because I was young and single, and sadly, I wasn't meeting anyone.

Today, I live in a community much smaller than Burlington. If I would characterize who would be the best candidate to move to Burlington, it would be as follows: middle class, socially moderate, but with a slight lean to the left as a nod to the labor movement.

Life takes us many places. I've lived in several communities as my career advanced. Wealthy, hip areas are a turn-off for me. Nothing is worse than having someone cram down their utopian ideas, and chastising you for not agreeing. I could care less. I prefer the communities where everyone knows who you are and is grateful when you contribute with your own heart and labor-- not your checkbook.

I can't speak for the current state of Burlington. I only remember what is was. For my friends who still live there, life has progressed all the same. If it has declined, I don't run with those circles; the people who I know are hard-working, God-fearing people who vote Democrat!

I always enjoyed a good Bees game!

Respectfully,
disneyrecords
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM
 
57 posts, read 93,081 times
Reputation: 70
My family is from Burlington so I've spent a lot of time there. I'm going to be blunt and honest here - while I have a certain affection for the area having grown up visiting there regularly, I would never move there. It feels very much like a dying town. As someone else mentioned, kids who grow up there are ready to leave. I would be nervous accepting a new job there and all the instability that comes with a new job...b/c if this doesn't work out the prospects likely aren't awesome. Not trying to ruffle feathers here, just being honest about my personal experiences there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM
 
9,411 posts, read 10,374,255 times
Reputation: 8537
Quote:
Originally Posted by sws9 View Post
My family is from Burlington so I've spent a lot of time there. I'm going to be blunt and honest here - while I have a certain affection for the area having grown up visiting there regularly, I would never move there. It feels very much like a dying town. As someone else mentioned, kids who grow up there are ready to leave. I would be nervous accepting a new job there and all the instability that comes with a new job...b/c if this doesn't work out the prospects likely aren't awesome. Not trying to ruffle feathers here, just being honest about my personal experiences there.
You are correct, it does feel like it is dying. A lot of jobs and industry has left town, as are some people. That being said, it isn't the cesspool that other posters have made it out to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
 
7 posts, read 13,162 times
Reputation: 12
Default sure

Yes, a lot of businesses left town. That's because of the attitude many locals have displayed. Simply put: If you don;t do it the way they have been doing it, then you're wrong. New ideas only are good in paper. In realty, it gets trampled because "how dare you newcomers change things." They make it very very hard to set up shop, and that's why many businesses have left.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 12:18 PM
 
9,411 posts, read 10,374,255 times
Reputation: 8537
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman007 View Post
Yes, a lot of businesses left town. That's because of the attitude many locals have displayed. Simply put: If you don;t do it the way they have been doing it, then you're wrong. New ideas only are good in paper. In realty, it gets trampled because "how dare you newcomers change things." They make it very very hard to set up shop, and that's why many businesses have left.
When I said job and industry left I was referring to Case, Exide, Burlington Northern, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Cheyenne, WY
16 posts, read 46,429 times
Reputation: 32
I am a Burlington native, and the original post reminds me of the 1980's and 90's when I was growing up there. Burlington used to be a good town, but I'm not too sure that it is anymore. My parents still live in B-Town, and say that its going down hill fast because of all the Chicago trash moving there for Iowa's easy welfare laws. My mom works for the Burlington Schools and says that some of the students she sees are third generation welfare recipients, with no intention of doing anything in their futures. I grew up on the South Hill side of town, and it was pretty mellow over there. A lot of older people, and the families there had parents that taught their kids right from wrong. I would avoid Maple Hills at all costs, and anything around Flint Hills east to Curran St. Those areas tend to be high crime. I hate to give bad advice about my hometown, but its not the good town that it used to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM
 
9,411 posts, read 10,374,255 times
Reputation: 8537
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00buckshotwyo View Post
I am a Burlington native, and the original post reminds me of the 1980's and 90's when I was growing up there. Burlington used to be a good town, but I'm not too sure that it is anymore. My parents still live in B-Town, and say that its going down hill fast because of all the Chicago trash moving there for Iowa's easy welfare laws. My mom works for the Burlington Schools and says that some of the students she sees are third generation welfare recipients, with no intention of doing anything in their futures. I grew up on the South Hill side of town, and it was pretty mellow over there. A lot of older people, and the families there had parents that taught their kids right from wrong. I would avoid Maple Hills at all costs, and anything around Flint Hills east to Curran St. Those areas tend to be high crime. I hate to give bad advice about my hometown, but its not the good town that it used to be.
I agree. It's more evident when you only visit once or twice a year. You can tell the town/area is really depressed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
 
57 posts, read 93,081 times
Reputation: 70
I also grew up in the QC. I def think QC is better off in every way than Burlington. Though I wouldn't move back to the QC or be super excited about job prospects there, either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top