U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM

209 posts, read 1,026,429 times

Advertisements

Cedar Rapids is not bad, at all.

It has a unique architecture that is both historically signifcant and not-so aesthetically appeasing.

The city's downtown could use some work... Of course. What city's downtown couldn't use work? The river-renaissance program is going on along the Cedar River cities, though, I don't know what is going on in Cedar Rapids and when it will begin...

The city has plenty of nice neighborhoods, the downtown is just, like many rust-belt cities, worn. The city has had major employers come and go, but if you aren't in the manufacturing/industrial industry it shouldn't really effect you a whole lot.

The Czech Village is one of my favorite areas in the city. It gives the city a cosmopolitan edge that is the envy of major cities in Iowa.

Dubuque does have a German Village, and an Irish Village... Des Moines, I don't think, has any... they do have a higher black and latino population than that of the rest of the state, though, and rightfully so.

The OP wanted to know if there was anything to do in CR.

Cedar Rapids is trying to, like the rest of the state, attract young people to the state. Iowa is having a big problem with young people who come here for schooling, and then move off to greener pastures. So the whole state is taking on an initiative to attract young people by providing more nightlife, more culture, more museums, more restaraunts, and draw more minorities to the area.

Cedar Rapids is doing so, and not doing too bad. I think that 9 out of 10 would prefer Iowa City for it's nightlife, and better downtown, but Cedar Rapids has had a few gay bars and restaraunts open and is doing everything they can to make themselves appear more accepting on everyone.

Hopefully this intiative works, and Iowa can draw young professionals who raise their families here...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Dubuque has the most bars per capita of any city in the Midwest-- I think we are pretty high on the list for the United States.

So don't go talking about Iowa City's great bars when there are even greener pastures!
The only thing Dubuque does not have that Iowa City does is UI.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 AM

310 posts, read 1,193,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
No, your opinion is just fine. Negative little kiddy names for a town are what were disrespectful. OK buster?!
negative things about a town are an opinion. And having a name such as Dirty Rapids conveys that opinion. Once again, if you have a problem with a post of mine then act like an adult and ignore it. And don't call me "buster" I am not your child, nor will I listen to anymore of your drivel. Consider this a warning.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
Dubuque has the most bars per capita of any city in the Midwest-- I think we are pretty high on the list for the United States.

So don't go talking about Iowa City's great bars when there are even greener pastures!
The only thing Dubuque does not have that Iowa City does is UI.
gotta disagree with that, sorry I just think that Dubuque is depressing. Plus bars are a stupid waste of time and money, and having more is not a good thing.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 AM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
negative things about a town are an opinion. And having a name such as Dirty Rapids conveys that opinion. Once again, if you have a problem with a post of mine then act like an adult and ignore it. And don't call me "buster" I am not your child, nor will I listen to anymore of your drivel. Consider this a warning.
You will have to check your inbox for futher commentary, I'm not going to waste space on this thread for your argument.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
No, your opinion is just fine. Negative little kiddy names for a town are what were disrespectful. OK buster?! Haha and what was your terminology for Ames, wasn't it "Lames?" oh wow.

So, to answer your question it is pretty hard to ignore posts like that, and it is very hard to respect an opinion like that.

oh give me a break, people FROM Ames call it LAmes. Get over yourself and grow up. You try to act all high and mighty but you can't even respect an opinion? Pathetic.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:47 AM

681 posts, read 2,835,621 times
How about everyone take a breather and settle down? I have to admit that the little juvenile nasty nicknames make me chuckle a little bit. Who hasn't heard someone use Lames or Cedar Crapids once before. Although you don't here it much anymore, Dead Moines used to be somewhat common as well. And I don't think I can post the comparable bash on the Quad Cities.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 AM

Ames is not bad. I actually think it is a much more working class town and smarter and less "wild" than Iowa City.

University of IA is a party school, there is no doubt about it.
Iowa State is more serious. There is less to do, and the town has less nightlife, keeping the students at the college more serious about their work.

Ames is not lame. Cedar Rapids is not crappy. Iowa is one of the best states in this country, if you don't like it, then move.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 AM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,831 times
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dubuqueaskme again.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 AM

I know, I tried to give you some rep., and it said the same thing. Anyway, kudos! (metro223)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or