U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,531,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
Dubuque has the most bars per capita of any city in the Midwest-- I think we are pretty high on the list for the United States.

So don't go talking about Iowa City's great bars when there are even greener pastures!
The only thing Dubuque does not have that Iowa City does is UI.

I don't see having most bars in the Midwest such an honor. Means there are a lot of drunks or not a lot to do but go to bars.

Jasper
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,879,280 times
Dirty Rapids? Cedar Crapids? I've never heard of these names before. I grew up in Cedar Rapids. And I had a wonderful time. It was clean when I was there. Of course there are bad parts of the city, but ALL cities have bad parts.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM

310 posts, read 1,192,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
Dirty Rapids? Cedar Crapids? I've never heard of these names before. I grew up in Cedar Rapids. And I had a wonderful time. It was clean when I was there. Of course there are bad parts of the city, but ALL cities have bad parts.

you should see the cesspool that southeast IC is becoming. They just need to bulldoze that whole area and start over.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Ames is not bad. I actually think it is a much more working class town and smarter and less "wild" than Iowa City.

University of IA is a party school, there is no doubt about it.
Iowa State is more serious. There is less to do, and the town has less nightlife, keeping the students at the college more serious about their work.

Ames is not lame. Cedar Rapids is not crappy. Iowa is one of the best states in this country, if you don't like it, then move.

this post is nothing but a ill informed opinion containing little if any fact. Except for the fact that Iowa is one of the best states.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:10 PM

209 posts, read 1,026,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
this post is nothing but a ill informed opinion containing little if any fact. Except for the fact that Iowa is one of the best states.
You're kidding right? I grew up in Ames. I lived just off of 24th Street. It would only take me about 10 minutes to walk to Iowa State. Iowa State is a more liberal school, and is harder to get into, IMO, than Iowa.

Iowa State is also a college for Engineers and Scientists. Iowa is for more Service career paths (teaching, business, etc.,) I got a degree in business at Iowa.

So who the heck do YOU think YOU are to tell me that I don't know my stuff.

I do not have a biased opinion, nor do I have a fabricated one, I have an experience opinion, if there is such a thing...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:30 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,531,839 times
DubuqueAskMe

I am confused, you say you grew up in Iowa and got your business degree from U of Iowa. Below is a post you made in 2006 where you say you are in high school and moving to Dubuque.

Jasper

dubuqueaskme
207 posts, read 48,381 times

We are moving to Dubuque from Cartersville, Georgia, about 40 minutes N of atlanta on I75. My grandparents live in the Dubuque area, and the rest of my family as well either lives down in Bellevue, IA, or in northern Illinois, so the move to Dubuque I hope will be a pleasent one. I am only in high school so, I know a lot about Dubuque, I spend a lot of time there, it is very scenic, and KKK activity,there may be a few nasty looks. But, its mostly gone. There are a few crappy neighborhoods by the colleges downtown but thats it. CRIME; almost unheard of... which will be a BIG change from Cartersville because atlanta has influxed its way up to Norhwest GA, almost to Rome. WELL, I hope Ive helped.

Quote:
You're kidding right? I grew up in Ames. I lived just off of 24th Street. It would only take me about 10 minutes to walk to Iowa State. Iowa State is a more liberal school, and is harder to get into, IMO, than Iowa.

Iowa State is also a college for Engineers and Scientists. Iowa is for more Service career paths (teaching, business, etc.,) I got a degree in business at Iowa.

I do not have a biased opinion, nor do I have a fabricated one, I have an experience opinion, if there is such a thing...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:55 PM

586 posts, read 2,008,830 times
Quote:

Pharmacy, law, medical and their own engineering program= more service jobs? No way. Are you sure you're not talking about UNI? U of I has more stringent admissions standards than ISU as well. I'm an ISU grad, but when you compare the two colleges and the two cities, my loyalty stops at backing Cy in football or basketball. Iowa City is a helluva great college city. Ames is a livable community, but lacks a lot of what makes places like Iowa City so great.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
DubuqueAskMe

I am confused, you say you grew up in Iowa and got your business degree from U of Iowa. Below is a post you made in 2006 where you say you are in high school and moving to Dubuque.

Jasper

dubuqueaskme
207 posts, read 48,381 times

We are moving to Dubuque from Cartersville, Georgia, about 40 minutes N of atlanta on I75. My grandparents live in the Dubuque area, and the rest of my family as well either lives down in Bellevue, IA, or in northern Illinois, so the move to Dubuque I hope will be a pleasent one. I am only in high school so, I know a lot about Dubuque, I spend a lot of time there, it is very scenic, and KKK activity,there may be a few nasty looks. But, its mostly gone. There are a few crappy neighborhoods by the colleges downtown but thats it. CRIME; almost unheard of... which will be a BIG change from Cartersville because atlanta has influxed its way up to Norhwest GA, almost to Rome. WELL, I hope Ive helped.

I had a feeling Dubuque was full of **** and here's the proof. LMFAO

Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:

I don't even need to delve into this post as your credibility just **** the bed.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:17 PM

49 posts, read 168,096 times
i totaly missed LAmes, lol. Cedar Rapids has lots going on in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or