U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,755,555 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Hy-Vee (and Dahl's) have really good benefit packages and that people have quit jobs that pay quite a bit more in salary to go work at Hy-Vee just for the benefits.

I'm not sure if they still give an employee discount, but if they do, that's pretty much money in your pocket too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:44 PM

161 posts, read 575,240 times
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far.

I have an eye condition that does limit the jobs I can do. So even though the jobs don't pay much, I am just grateful to work. I have been working retail in department stores for a long while, but am desiring a change. My current employer is just heading in the wrong direction. I always wanted to try a grocery store, and am also considering moving to several cities where they have Hy-Vee stores to be closer to family. The Hy-Vee website lists many job openings to apply for that would fit me just fine, so that was a good sign. I even e-mailed their corporate HR department, and asked if a disability would be an issue, and she quickly wrote back that they employ many people with various issues, and to certainly pursue a job.

Between that, and the remarks left on here, it does sound like a place to definitely consider if I do move.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,755,555 times
I guess another thing I can add is that it seems like I pretty much see the same people there working every time I go, which means that turnover might be low. That says something.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 8,127 times
I work for Hy-Vee, entry level, and it is horrible. Managers don't respect the employee at all. I work at the Kansas City #2 store, and I don't know if it's just my store or not. They expect a lot from you, which is understandable. But, in my experience, they stand over your shoulders and wait for you to do something wrong. Every employee in my store wants to quit. Good benefits, horrible upper management.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM

9,400 posts, read 10,256,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
All I know is that there is a helpful smile in every aisle... and that it is an employee owned company. In theory, if you own a small part of the franchise, you will work harder than if you own 0%.
The money you make in "bonuses" doesn't add up to much, but the company assumes that because they pay you that bonus, they "own" you so to speak and you should be forever grateful to them. Also if you work at a newly constructed store you do not get that bonus until the store is paid for. That could take a year or more.

I have never worked for HyVee but a close friend has. She no longer works for them, but because of things she has told me about how they treat their employees, I no longer shop there.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:43 AM

994 posts, read 1,415,223 times
This actually was my previous job. Hyvee is hit-or-miss realistically. If you have a good store director, you'll probably do well and be treated well. If you get a bad store director (lots of those) then your experience might be worse. As a customer I think Hyvee is good but expensive. It can be an insular company so if you're used to a more high-flying company then Hyvee might be no good for you. I had some good coworkers there and most people were generally pretty friendly. The customers actually weren't all that bad at all despite retail's reputation for bad customers.

If you work a peripheral department (produce, meats, dairy, etc) you can work at your own pace most of the time. In my opinion I'd stick to the evening shift since you don't have as many managers running around. They are usually pretty live and let live but some can be bad.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:11 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,673,830 times
I haven't worked at HyVee myself, but did work for another major midwestern retailer for several years. Most of the complaints I've heard from HyVee employees have really been about retail in general rather than the company itself. And I know several people who have made a career out of working there and enjoy it.

As fireandice1000 stated, management is the key. You can have a totally different experience working in two different stores depending on the personality of the head honchos.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times
I currently work for Hy-Vee, and hate it! I was hired to work in the kitchen but instead am cleaning diarrhea out of the bathroom and picking up trash in the parking lot - they said I needed the "Hy-Vee experience" first. I've had enough of the experience! I am currently applying for other jobs so I can quit my below minimum wage job.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 AM

1,650 posts, read 2,364,300 times
I know someone who started working for Hy Vee at age 16 and at 50 years old he was able to retire. I know when he retired he was burned out. The benefitsmust be pretty darn good. He has one child who went on to college and his wife has never worked during their marriage.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,820,642 times
No firsthand knowledge, but I do believe that you can have a very successful, very well paid career at HyVee. That said, it is a sacrifice too. You'll be moved from store-to-store. Work crappy hours, weekends, holidays, etc. It just goes with the territory given the business they are in but from my understanding, department managers earn healthy 6-figure incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa