U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 02:35 PM

1,650 posts, read 2,364,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
No firsthand knowledge, but I do believe that you can have a very successful, very well paid career at HyVee. That said, it is a sacrifice too. You'll be moved from store-to-store. Work crappy hours, weekends, holidays, etc. It just goes with the territory given the business they are in but from my understanding, department managers earn healthy 6-figure incomes.

From what I remember his store was one of the highest producing ones in Iowa too. I think he got bonuses for that and there was the constant pressure to maintain that status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,582,508 times
I worked nights at Hy-vee prior to joining the Air Force. It's not a bad retail job, but at the end of the day, it's still retail. Lots of turnover (people either canned or walk out because they either can't hack it, or they don't get along with management) and the wages are mediocre (unless someone has the fortitude to stick it out 8-10 years and becomes a shift manager).

Hy-Vee is definitely a cut above Walmart, but it's probably a notch below Publix (the Southeast's version of Hy-Vee). Publix is a bit more expensive than Hy-Vee, but the customer experience is unparalleled. Even the part-time high schoolers get compensated considerably better than their Hy-Vee counterparts. There's a sense of pride there that seems to be lacking at Hy-Vee (most of the stores are nice, don't get me wrong, but as a whole Publix is nicer)

Old 08-04-2016, 03:41 PM

21,453 posts, read 37,725,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I worked nights at Hy-vee prior to joining the Air Force. It's not a bad retail job, but at the end of the day, it's still retail. Lots of turnover (people either canned or walk out because they either can't hack it, or they don't get along with management) and the wages are mediocre (unless someone has the fortitude to stick it out 8-10 years and becomes a shift manager).

Hy-Vee is definitely a cut above Walmart, but it's probably a notch below Publix (the Southeast's version of Hy-Vee). Publix is a bit more expensive than Hy-Vee, but the customer experience is unparalleled. Even the part-time high schoolers get compensated considerably better than their Hy-Vee counterparts. There's a sense of pride there that seems to be lacking at Hy-Vee (most of the stores are nice, don't get me wrong, but as a whole Publix is nicer)
In terms of mainstream grocery stores, Wegman's is probably at the very top of the list in my opinion.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:09 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,567,391 times
Default Is Hy-Vee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
In terms of mainstream grocery stores, Wegman's is probably at the very top of the list in my opinion.
Where is Wegman's centered? That's one I've not run across. At first I thought perhaps you meant Woodman's.
Fezzador is right next to me in northern Alabama so he & I both have experience with Publix. It's been ranked as a top notch grocer & I can readily understand that.
Based just east of Tampa Bay, I've got to say that Publix is about the only large scale Florida business venture to have successfully taken hold north of that state.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 PM

21,453 posts, read 37,725,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Where is Wegman's centered? That's one I've not run across. At first I thought perhaps you meant Woodman's.
Fezzador is right next to me in northern Alabama so he & I both have experience with Publix. It's been ranked as a top notch grocer & I can readily understand that.
Based just east of Tampa Bay, I've got to say that Publix is about the only large scale Florida business venture to have successfully taken hold north of that state.
Wegmans is centered in western NY, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. When I have business or travel through those areas I generally make a point to stop there. Some sources claim that it is the highest rated grocery chain for employees presently, and tends to get high ratings overall from the public.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/regio...182458040.html

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-05-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 10:48 AM

338 posts, read 265,680 times
I worked at Drug Town years ago, before the store combined into a big Hy-Vee. Not sure if that would be comparable. It was alright -- nothing that stood out as good or bad. Just another retail job. I was young and didn't need benefits like health insurance though, so I don't know how good that was.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 5,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post

That pay for Wal-Mart now is leaps and bounds above Hy-Vee's basic pay though. Wal-Mart's a good place to work for, you just need to get the right store.

Old Today, 02:33 AM

3 posts, read 109 times
Default Hy Vee employee discount Setup

Hy Vee provides amazing offers to their employee as they get a 10% discount on in-store purchases, 20% discount on dine-in orders. let me help employees with setting the procedure of Hy Vee employee discount offer, open www.hy-veesurvey.com, and log in to your Hy-Vee Account, after successful login choose My Account, then click Fuel Saver + Perks to register your Fuel Saver + Perks card. roll down to the page to Employee Discount Click “Link Employee Account” and follow on-screen instructions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa