U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:03 PM

108 posts, read 93,052 times

Advertisements

we have found it hard to make friends here.something about it,don't know. it's like we don't belong. we are very outgoing people like hanging out,drinking,whatever. making the move from vegas to here was a big change.we have been here for almost 2 years and love the weather,and the people are friendly,is it because we are not from here? or what? we have found the schools are far better than vegas, and housing is really cheap compared to vegas.we were living in a 3 bedroom 2 bath 2car garage in a newer area the rent was 1250 a month! it was a small house 1400 sq feet. but out here we live in a 1800 sq foot house 800 a month.! we are not church goers,not into anything illegal,have good family background, we don't know what's up.the pay out here is ok ,because the cost of living so low. we would like to meet new people,so we will try this online. this hole thing of meeting people online is new to us,never had to do this before. really kind of neat! so any advise would be helpful, thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:54 PM

23 posts, read 83,486 times
I actually just moved back here from North Las Vegas. I'd say get involved with your kids school. What hobbies do you enjoy?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:33 PM

Default vegas to cedar rapids

we are involved with the boy's school,hobbies pool/billiards,playing with the boys,video games/pinball there's alot to keep us busy around the house.thank you for asking! what made you move from iowa to nevada back to iowa? thank you for responding.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:46 PM

23 posts, read 83,486 times
Have you all tried any of the Yahoo parent groups? I've found those to be a great help. I found a whole group dedicated to moms in Iowa who use a baby sling. It's also fair season right now, so maybe you could suggest taking your boys and a group of their friends with one or two other dads, make it boys day. I'm not sure what video games you play, but if you play WOW or anything like that you can find groups that are local. Some even meet, have dinner and discuss raids and such.

I got married and our careers took us to Burbank, which we hated. So a friend suggested Las Vegas. Which we also didn't like, but we were trying to make it work because it was in the area for our job. When I got pregnant though I was shocked by the poor health care there, along with the poor school system. So I went back to the place I knew had great health care and awesome schools. True I gave up my dream job, but if it means a better life for my family then it's worth it.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 PM

thank you,we will give that a try? nice talking to you!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:12 AM

8 posts, read 24,350 times
My fiancee and I have recently moved to Oskaloosa Iowa. Yes people are friendly but I also believe the older you are the harder it is to meet new people. I believe we live probably about an hour and a half or so from you guys but, it sounds like our interest might be the same except were not real big on video games. If you want to just write back and forth we would welcome meeting new people . We also are going to go to some of these wine tasting events that they have. We are hoping to meet people that way also. Just for your info we are in our thirties.

talk to you later
Angie

Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 AM

Default thanks angie

that sounds great. my wife is in her thirties,i am 40. our oldest boy is 9,the two little ones are 3 and 4. let us know about the wine tasting,sounds like it would be interesting. the wife has never been to one. i have been to a few in las vegas, it was real nice,lots of wine, food, and auctions,and even a couple of free bottles of wine. that would be alright talking back and forth, and even getting together. an hour and a half away i guess that's not to far. when we lived in las vegas, it would take about the same time to visit freinds, just because of the traffic. thanks again for writing.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM

yes angie the wife and i will send you a private message tomorrow! thanks a bunch, walt and lie lani
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or