U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,285,403 times

Advertisements

This awesome map does deserve more bumps.

However, the smell issues are not overblown. They are blown over...the south side of the city. It smells absolutely horrific. If you live far away from it you can say it doesn't matter, but if that crap is being spewed into your house, it would be a very serious factor. It's like saying "the rape problem is really over blown in XYZ area". Sure, if it isn't happening to you. However, when you factor in that some people have to deal with the problems on a regular basis, it is a BIG deal.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:01 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,384,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
This awesome map does deserve more bumps.

However, the smell issues are not overblown. They are blown over...the south side of the city. It smells absolutely horrific. If you live far away from it you can say it doesn't matter, but if that crap is being spewed into your house, it would be a very serious factor. It's like saying "the rape problem is really over blown in XYZ area". Sure, if it isn't happening to you. However, when you factor in that some people have to deal with the problems on a regular basis, it is a BIG deal.
bump!!!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 PM

565 posts, read 868,798 times
Interested party here; the link to the map seems to be dead? Could we get it reposted?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 603 times
I cannot view the map, and would also like to know particularly about Stoney Point!

Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,480 times
Nice job. I loved Cedar Rapids a lot of nice people and pretty things to see.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:52 AM

11 posts, read 37,883 times
I see this post is fairly "old" but I was wondering if this "map" is still available? I saw the CityData map but it was not very helpful. I am originally from IA and will be moving back but am woefully ignorant of the Cedar Rapids area and would like to avoid the areas that need to be avoided.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,516,779 times
I'm the one that posted this map originally back in 2011 and just recently came across it again (it was buried on a backup drive that I hadn't used for years).

I probably need to do an update sometime, because this map is out-of-date.

The two orange areas near downtown have changed significantly and are where most of the new development is happening. The area on the west side of the river is now called Kingston Village, and the area on the east side is New Bohemia (or NewBo for short). Both are becoming upscale mixed-use residential and commercial areas. NewBo is CR's "hipster" area with local shops, tech startups, and the City Market.

The big red area just NE of downtown is still a tough area, but much progress has been made to improve this neighborhood. A few problem properties were torn down and redeveloped.

The red sliver along I-380 north of F Ave NE probably shouldn't be red anymore. The area around Coe College is improving and is part of a new district being labeled "the College District".

Growth around Marion and the NE side of Cedar Rapids continues to explode - I'm sure there are more areas that could probably be green.

On the NW side, the area near Ellis Blvd. and O Ave is being redeveloped. This area was heavily impacted by the flood of 2008, but as the city begins to develop its flood wall system, we are beginning to see housing and infill development move back into this area.

On the SW side, the area formerly known as Westdale Mall (now just Westdale) is being redeveloped and is an up-and-coming retail district.

The next few years should see growth in the NW quadrant with the upcoming completion of the Highway 100 bypass that continues from Edgewood Road and ends at Highway 30 near 80th Street. Currently the highway is completed from Edgewood to Covington, but Phase II should be complete next year or 2019. This will make for a much quicker drive to retail / work areas on the NE side from the NW/SW side.

Sometime in the near future I'll try to make a new map reflecting the current neighborhood status in CR.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:29 PM

11 posts, read 37,883 times
Thanks for the map and the feedback!

Our realtor has been showing us properties, remotely, all over town but now that we can see a map that helps bunches. We will actually have "boots on the ground" in a week and a half so we can do some REAL looking.

We really appreciate the map since even the best of the realtors can sometimes get their best interests confused with that of their clients, maybe not on purpose but the result is the same.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or