U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,963 times

Advertisements

Wondering what the style of my house is? Built around 1905. Originally had a wrap-a-round porch in front. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Style of my house-img_3239.jpg   Style of my house-img_3240.jpg   Style of my house-img_3241.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 PM

414 posts, read 1,044,739 times
I have no idea. I have never seen that style of the house before. That must be a rare type of style.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM

810 posts, read 2,646,812 times
It looks mostly like a Queen Anne Victorian. It has some elements of the Shingle Style Victorian as well though I don't see very many shingles outside of the very top. Victorian era houses sometimes mixed elements from its many different various styles. But its mostly Queen Anne.

It was a very common style in the late 19th century. When your house was built it was likely one of the last of the style as the Victorian era was largely over and builders were moving on to new styles at the time.

It looks like its great shape. Hopefully you have old photos to guide you if you someday rebuild the porch. Too bad they didn't have color photography as it probably wasn't painted white when it was new.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 PM

30 posts, read 150,575 times
Hi kmf1 !

I agree that it mostly looks like Queen Anne style ! It is beautiful ! Your very lucky ! Where are you
from ? I've been looking all over Iowa for a home ,(and neighborhood) like that !! Like richb said, it would be great to rebuild the porch one day !!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,588,201 times
Definitely Queen Anne! The windows are a little more modern than you see on most Victorians - and more Craftsmen in style - and the brick pillar on the porch was probably added later - but the layout, the pitch of the roof, and the bay window all are typical Queen Anne Victorian.

Beautiful house!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,386,952 times
Gorgeous Queen Anne. The skinny shutters unfortunately look like decals and the brick pillar and primitive porch detailing is out of place but behind those minor flaws is near-landmark example of the style.

You should be very house proud.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,972 times
What a special house!

If I had to state a single style it would be Queen Anne, but these styles covered a lot of ground and individual builders and architects did as they pleased based on their own and local tastes.

It has the shingles on top. That makes it Queen Anne, not Shingle style. With Shingle style most of the house would be covered. The two-story bay window isn't exclusively Queen Anne, but it was a very common Queen Anne.

There are some things that make it atypical. Complicated roof lines were common with Queen Anne, but with this house the two roof lines are on the same level. It wasn't exactly uncommon, but it makes it a little less like your typical Queen Anne.

The main roof comes out to cover the bay window, leaving a rather large overhang above the wall. This is a quirky arrangement. In a sense it makes it less balanced but more interesting.

Finally, consider the stacked porches without a roof over the entryway. A normal Queen Anne would have roofed that, either by foregoing the second story balcony, skirting a roof around the base of the second story balcony or adding a roof over the second story part of the balcony. And that brick column doesn't fit in with the rest of the house and certainly stands out as an element not at home with the Queen Anne nature of the house.

So it is a Queen Anne house, except where it isn't, which puts it in very good company indeed. Who wants to live in a house that is exactly like your neighbors? Vive la difference!

I suspect that some of the oddities here are simply a matter of economy. The full Queen Anne look sometimes had features that added cost without a lot of benefit. It could also be that the owner was trying to restrain the look, pulling back from the excesses of the Victorian period.

I write about such things on my blog on house styles and all things architectural at Why We Like Our Houses to Look a Certain Way . You can learn about the Victorian styles and their Gothic predecessors. It is a history and a style lesson combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or