Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 PM

153 posts, read 308,938 times

Advertisements

...but it sounds similar in many ways to Asheville, NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
lots of meth in that town and the up town looks like a garbage dump for manikins

Old 08-22-2010, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,804 times
How are the roads in Fairfield? I'm from central Iowa around the Des Moines/Ames area. I've had a wheel crack on me due to potholes from all the harsh winters. I hope there aren't many potholes or gravel roads there. If so I guess I will bring out my Subaru Rally car.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,462 times
I live in Fairfield myself, and will be completely honest with you all. The town is very divided as to the families that have lived in Fairfield for centuries, and the people who meditate. There is one organic store in town. As far as Vedic City, not really sure about it, last I knew they are still trying to establish a town out there, but currently sounds like a housing community. I'm not trying to tell you not to come here, but it may not be exactly what the articals make it out to be. We are a small town, where WalMart is the biggest store, where you get pretty much everything. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I could pretty much answer anything about Fairfield for you.

Jobs are hard to find in Fairfield making most people travel out of town for work. You might want to look into finding a job before moving, to make sure you can get one. Normal pay around here for a good job is $10/hr. Not sure what kind of school you are looking for, but the Maharishi school is a private school that I have heard is very expensive.

Not sure what the Asian American means by can you adapt. I think anybody can adapt if they are willing, just remember, this is a farm town, so unless you plan on spending your nights home, you might think about it again. We don't have any night clubs or anything like that, for entertainment, we drive around the town with friends.

If anybody has anymore questions, let me know, I will be happy to help.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromiowa View Post
william penns main campus is in Osky...it might have been a small local campus or something...

College was Parsons, and yes they took it over, tore it down and rebuild

Old 08-21-2018, 05:58 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,177 times
Default It is a cult town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroAY View Post
I saw a magazine article siting Fairfield, IA as a very healthy city with organic produces, cosmic connected houses and meditation practices. I'm in southern California, and the high cost here and traffic is driving us into wanting to get out. I like to know if anyone has been to Fairfield or seen the new Vedic City, supposedly a model city for world peace. I read that it's still affordable there, low crime rate, and great schools for kids. How about the job market? And is the winter season bad? I'm also a martial arts enthusiast, any do-jo there? Any feedback is appreciated.
Or so they say----

Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 604 times
This comment is late, of course. But I desired to respond, even though I was there less than a year, & departed in 1992.

I agree that many of the Roos were self centered & at times, rude. Although, I found them to be more self centered than rude. I was a Roo. The one commonality among the roos, obviously, was meditation. As stated above, many of the Roos are from cities or the suburbs of Chicago, Seattle, Phila., L.A., S.F., N.Y., etc. So they may not know how to relate to the Fairfield locals. Plus, many, if not most, of the Roos are vegetarian. Or they probably eat meat in moderation. Finally, the rabid followers of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, tend to believe that those that do not meditate, live in spiritual ignorance. They are in a significant minority.

I do not believe that the Roos have somehow ruined the town. If the real estate prices have drastically risen, we should blame capitalism, along w/the Roos. The issue is supply & demand, I suppose. Virtually all things related to Transcendental Meditation are expensive. Thus, TM attracts plenty of upper middle class types. Naturally, not all of the Roos are rich. But, I can imagine the more expensive homes of Roos versus the average Fairfield homes.

Above, bita023 referred to Fairfield as a "junk town" & berries claimed that there were some "...nice places and the rest looked like a ghetto to me." I seem to recall that Fairfield was not completely dismal. There were some sections that needed improvement, that is true..

Read more: [url]//www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/12819-anyones-been-fairfield-ia-4.html#ixzz5hdqzE3pT[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa