U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:07 PM

39 posts, read 263,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
didn't the maharishi take over a small liberal arts college in Fairfield some years back? the name of the college could have been William Penn or something like that. not sure.
william penns main campus is in Osky...it might have been a small local campus or something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 11:47 AM

2,156 posts, read 10,347,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromiowa View Post
william penns main campus is in Osky...it might have been a small local campus or something...
you're correct Chris. William Penn was never in Fairfield but Parsons College was until it went broke.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 10,522 times
Default life in Fairfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroAY View Post
I saw a magazine article siting Fairfield, IA as a very healthy city with organic produces, cosmic connected houses and meditation practices. I'm in southern California, and the high cost here and traffic is driving us into wanting to get out. I like to know if anyone has been to Fairfield or seen the new Vedic City, supposedly a model city for world peace. I read that it's still affordable there, low crime rate, and great schools for kids. How about the job market? And is the winter season bad? I'm also a martial arts enthusiast, any do-jo there? Any feedback is appreciated.
i live here moved from Hawaii, many spirituall groups here small town, takes a while to know people here.. great home prices but heating bills can add up, but smaill apt resonable rents. Cold winters not that bad here weather changes, hot weather in summer can be really hot, was last summer

Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,203,636 times
I visited a little telecom company in Fairfield about 8 years ago. Drove over an hour south from Cedar Rapids airport down to Fairfield. Immediately noticed the Maharishi (sp??) campus coming into town. Checked in at a local motel and got a copy of the local paper. I glanced at the real estate ads, and noticed many ads sounded a bit different than the typical big city papers, like "lovely east facing entry" or "west facing views". Things like south facing entry ways are not desireable for the Maharishi? Walked around town a bit, and noticed that even around the town square, businesses facing south had somehow figured out how to put their entrance doors on the east or west side to avoid the dreaded "south entrance". Went to visit this telecom company the next morning, and had to leave my shoes at the, of course, east entrance door. Luckily I didn't have any holes in my socks that day. First time (and only) time I've walked around a corporate office building in my suit and socks (no shoes). OK, it was interesting. People in town are friendly enough. There's the Maharishi folks and the rest of the folks in Fairfield. Spend some time around town on a visit before making any drastic life plans to relocate. If you feel like the place suits you, great. If it's not quite what you imagined, at least you'll have some stories to tell about the place.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,475,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I visited a little telecom company in Fairfield about 8 years ago. Drove over an hour south from Cedar Rapids airport down to Fairfield. Immediately noticed the Maharishi (sp??) campus coming into town. Checked in at a local motel and got a copy of the local paper. I glanced at the real estate ads, and noticed many ads sounded a bit different than the typical big city papers, like "lovely east facing entry" or "west facing views". Things like south facing entry ways are not desireable for the Maharishi? Walked around town a bit, and noticed that even around the town square, businesses facing south had somehow figured out how to put their entrance doors on the east or west side to avoid the dreaded "south entrance". Went to visit this telecom company the next morning, and had to leave my shoes at the, of course, east entrance door. Luckily I didn't have any holes in my socks that day. First time (and only) time I've walked around a corporate office building in my suit and socks (no shoes). OK, it was interesting. People in town are friendly enough. There's the Maharishi folks and the rest of the folks in Fairfield. Spend some time around town on a visit before making any drastic life plans to relocate. If you feel like the place suits you, great. If it's not quite what you imagined, at least you'll have some stories to tell about the place.
That is SO cool!!! One day I MUST go there!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:27 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,660,808 times
You'll think it's cool when you work at a retail business down there that's supposed to close at 9:00 and the "Floaters" as we call them are still wandering around at 9:30 completely oblivious to the fact that half the lights have been turned off and someone is paging "our last register is about to close" every five minutes. And of course you can't just kick them out because they have a cart full of hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise that they will purchase if they ever finish their shopping.

They seem nice enough to talk to and for the most part are very intelligent in a bookish sort of way, but by and large have very little common sense and absolutely no respect for others.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,732 times
I'm a "floater" and live right next to the golden domes where I float twice a day. Oddly enough, there's a wide-spread belief that the "townies" have very little respect for us :P

Fairfield is very nice, lots of restaurants, monthly art-walks, great prices on homes. I'm a south-asian American, and have never encountered any bigotry. The atmosphere around the town is great too; it has a nice relaxed pace. There are miles of trail around the entire city; both biking and hiking. There are also reservoirs where you can go kayaking or canoeing.

The winters are cold, the summers are very hot, and the spring and fall are perfect.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:25 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,475,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You'll think it's cool when you work at a retail business down there that's supposed to close at 9:00 and the "Floaters" as we call them are still wandering around at 9:30 completely oblivious to the fact that half the lights have been turned off and someone is paging "our last register is about to close" every five minutes. And of course you can't just kick them out because they have a cart full of hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise that they will purchase if they ever finish their shopping.

They seem nice enough to talk to and for the most part are very intelligent in a bookish sort of way, but by and large have very little common sense and absolutely no respect for others.
Sounds like Everywhere USA! (In other words, that's the way alot of people are,unfortunately - INCONSIDERATE - doesn't matter where you live...)

Old 12-21-2006, 10:53 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,203,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeyfloater View Post
Fairfield is very nice, lots of restaurants, monthly art-walks, great prices on homes. I'm a south-asian American, and have never encountered any bigotry. The atmosphere around the town is great too; it has a nice relaxed pace. There are miles of trail around the entire city; both biking and hiking. There are also reservoirs where you can go kayaking or canoeing.
The winters are cold, the summers are very hot, and the spring and fall are perfect.
Adeyfloater, I hope my previous post did not seem like like a mis-representation of Fairfield based on my very short visit there. I was trying to state my personal impression about how the town is quite different than most towns one might visit in middle america. Because I have not visited there in many years, roughly what percentage of today's local residents are spiritual believers or followers of maharishi? Is that the correct term and spelling? Do "floaters" (is that offensive?) and "non-floaters" live in the same neighborhoods, socialize or mix much in events or activities? Or do these two groups mostly pass each other by in town without much interaction? Thanks.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,733 times
Thumbs up born and raised in Fairfield

I have enjoyed reading this forum on Fairfield. i had to reply. Fairfield is a great place to live!! I have always thought it was so cool that here in Iowa we can have the diversity that we do. All the foreign food resturants. Health food stores. It's pretty cool. My husband and I and our families have always lived here. Long before MIU or as they have been called "floaters" came to town.Everyone lives together for the most part. And there are people that don't have nice things to say.You'll always have that.
Personally I have never had an issue. They have brought great businesses to town which means great jobs! The town is clean and well kept.
Unfortunately we are in the process of selling our home to move out of state for a job oppurtunity. But- I would certainly recommend trying out Fairfield!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or