U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,110,194 times

Advertisements

So I'm currently in Minneapolis (the suburbs) and am looking to get back to Iowa for some personal reasons.

I'm currently applying to jobs in Iowa City and Des Moines. I'm from CR and am aware of the concept of IC and have lived in DM for a year for an internship.

Assuming I have the option (based on the job results), which place would you consider better for a 25 (definitely past the college partying days), single female? I don't know people in either place and unfortunately I'm pretty shy to start...once I'm involved I'm outgoing, but getting to that point takes a lot of work.

My thoughts are that IC may have more single people my age looking for things to do, but DM is the safe, comfortable route. Any input? Which place do you find it is easier to get involved in the community and make friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post

Assuming I have the option (based on the job results), which place would you consider better for a 25 (definitely past the college partying days), single female? I don't know people in either place and unfortunately I'm pretty shy to start...once I'm involved I'm outgoing, but getting to that point takes a lot of work.

My thoughts are that IC may have more single people my age looking for things to do, but DM is the safe, comfortable route. Any input? Which place do you find it is easier to get involved in the community and make friends?

If you're past the college partying days, you'll probably wind up finding more like-minded people with a similar lifestyle here in Des Moines than Iowa City - most people your age there are still in that phase.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 24,667 times
id have to agree, bout bein past tha college partyin phase, would probably be best choice for des moines, like el rhino says people in iowa city would probably be more college students in tha partyin stage, but im not familer with either place that well, so jus goin by assumption what its like in iowa city from an old friend that went there an told me what it was like

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,153,285 times
I think it would be a flip of the coin. There are plenty of non-partying people your age in IC. Especially grad students and such. I also don't think either option is more or less safe than the other.

What kinds of things to you like to do? Seems some sort of group is always the best way to meet people for me. I know Iowa City has active biking groups, music ensembles, art classes, cooking classes, etc. I'm sure Des Moines does, too.

See what kind of job offers come up, then go visit and see which town seems more your style.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,445 times
I have to agree to not rule IC out. I'm moving there in less than a month to start a residency at the hospital. I'm sure there are, like me, other single guys about our age who are also past the partying. The med, nursing, law, graduate, pharm, and dental schools are all around there, too. That's a lot of people likely looking for non-partiers.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM

3,679 posts, read 5,066,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I think it would be a flip of the coin. There are plenty of non-partying people your age in IC. Especially grad students and such. I also don't think either option is more or less safe than the other.

What kinds of things to you like to do? Seems some sort of group is always the best way to meet people for me. I know Iowa City has active biking groups, music ensembles, art classes, cooking classes, etc. I'm sure Des Moines does, too.

See what kind of job offers come up, then go visit and see which town seems more your style.
Also some pretty active jogging clubs are in Iowa City if you're into that sort of thing. My daughter is a member/organizer for one.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:13 AM

164 posts, read 549,463 times
I'd tip the scales towards Des Moines just due to the sheer numbers of people there as compared to Iowa City. There are bound to be more groups you can get involved in with people that have similar interests in Des Moines than Iowa City. But depending on what you are into, I'd check for some of these interest groups between the two cities and decide for yourself.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
I live in cedar rapids and am trying to find new friends to hang out with lol but iowa city is a pretty cool town!

Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 AM

23 posts, read 70,267 times
I'm a mid-twenties introvert near a western Iowa town of 10K, and I have no problems finding plenty of like-minded people. Don't worry about it. Just live and love and enjoy, wherever you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or