Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times

Advertisements

I've been reading threads here and doing google searches on different areas in Iowa. We are relocating from Central Illinois as my husband has been laid off AGAIN due to Caterpillar cut backs! He is a CNC Machinist and it seems that no matter what company he works for, when Cat cuts back, machine shops have to lay off workers!
I am in college so I need something close to a community college. We have loads of family in Central Illinois so we want to stay no more than 3 hours away from them.
It's no easy task finding employment opportunities in this economy especially when you are relocating and also have to figure out housing and school!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
xxx
Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Southeast Iowa is pretty industrial, I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities for CNC machinists. And there are at least a couple of community colleges in this corner of the state, Southeastern Community College in West Burlington and Indian Hills in Ottumwa; both have several satellite campuses as well. Keokuk, Ft. Madison, Burlington, Faifield, and Ottumwa are the main communities in this part of the state that would likely have machinist positions available.

You can search for job listings through Iowa Workforce Development by region here: https://www1.iowajobs.org/jobs/seeke...n=searchRegion
Also all the communities have newspapers with online classified ads if you want to check them out.

If you have any interest in staying in central Illinois, have your husband put in an app at Mechanical Devices in Bloomington. We ship a lot of castings to them and it seems like they are always desparate to hire good people.

Good Luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Check the quad cities. It's a major manufacturing area that probably has a ton of machinists.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,232 times
I think the Davenport area may be what your looking for.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM

99 posts, read 327,489 times
Yeah, check out the Quad Cities area. We are much more of an industrial area than most of the state, which seems to be more service and agricultural based. I am not sure about SE Iowa, but you might want to check out Waterloo in NE Iowa, where I resided a few years ago. Its a heavily industrialized town of roughly 70,000 residents, and the metro area has about 150,000 people (kind of small, but not too bad of a place). John Deere is something like a behemoth there (not that its necessarily a bad thing). But we have a large John Deere presence here, with the HQ in Moline, Illinois.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
The Quad Cities has pretty good community colleges called Scott Community college on the Iowa side and BlackHawk community college on the Il. side. Also a few universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa