U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 AM

9,258 posts, read 17,893,656 times

Advertisements

My wife went to Central College, then got a job in Pella and lived there for a few years. She also got the feeling that you had to join the "right" church (Third Reformed) in order to fit in; so she did, only to find out later that your surnam also has to be preceeded by "Der" or "Von" or have double vowels or long strings of consonants (in other words, Dutch) in order to truly be accepted by the natives. Fortunately for me she eventually gave up and left.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,566,413 times
.......a little twisted Humor.....

Received my college education in Iowa......met my future wife in Iowa (we were married 51 yrs)....and our daughter was born in Iowa (even though we lived 200 miles away in IL--wife wanted to have the baby in "her" Hospital)........in light of the above, the best description I ever heard of how to describe Iowans as related to their religious leaning(s): .......just a bunch of AGNOSTICS "turned inside-out"

Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 AM

9 posts, read 29,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
I mentioned to one of my elderly volunteers who grew up in Pella that some people had told me that if you don't belong to the right church in the Pella area it is hard to feel comfortable in that community.

She said, "I don't know why! Lots of Americans have been moving in lately!"

I had to laugh. Guess the Dutch Reformed still think of themselves as different from us "Americans."
Pella is a little different...much like the religious crowd around Grand Rapids or Holland Michjgan. If you go near Detroit you will find alot of Muslim, If you go to New York yoy will find alot of Jewish faith. If you go to Texas it's the Baptists and the Catholics are heavy in New England. I guess America in general is "religious".

Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 AM

21 posts, read 47,140 times
Default Iowans don't say "Y'all"

Iowans are people of the midwest, and I'm in the South now and I am with a Southern who claims there is no such thing as the "Midwest" but growing up is all what I knew.
I was born and raised in Iowa.
I think you talk a lot for a guy.. I read most of it.... But it's true I never experienced some stranger at the supermarket preaching their religion. I wouldn't know what I'd do in that situation.. I'm glad I haven't had to deal with it growing up. I was put to different Sunday schools but over each year I became less and less interested in religion.
We are told we are stupid.. but we are not the lowest IQ state in the USA.
I don't think we are as friendly as your co-worker claimed. Just see my last post with a person about Iowa... They tried to work a job and make friends and it didn't work....

Old 08-15-2011, 03:55 AM

5 posts, read 8,568 times
I am about as Iowan as it gets, since I have lived in SE Iowa for about 30 years. I personally don't believe in Christianity, or go to church, but I used to go to church every Sunday when I was younger.

People are not going to hassle you about religion , unless you willing decide to go to church. You might get a occasional person taking to you about religion, but they are not going to harass you about it every day, or ridicule you for not having a religion.

Honestly I think the biggest negative about Iowa is there isn't much to do here, but the older I am getting I am learning to appreciate the uneventful, and peacefulness of it.

I spend most of my weekends, playing video games, board games, making beer/drinking beer, going out to bars, going to the movies, going out to eat, grilling out at home/house party's, doing projects on the house, sitting around a fire drinking and talking, disc golfing, working out/MMA training, well you get the idea. There is also good hunting and fishing here if your into that sort of thing.

Iowa is a good place to live, but you need to have some type of hobby's to keep your self entertained.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,848,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avoll View Post
Honestly I think the biggest negative about Iowa is there isn't much to do here, but the older I am getting I am learning to appreciate the uneventful, and peacefulness of it.
There isn't much to do? Is it fair/accurate to speak for the entire state based on your personal experience in one town in Iowa?

I think plenty of people would disagree (especially those of us living in Des Moines metro).

Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 8,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
There isn't much to do? Is it fair/accurate to speak for the entire state based on your personal experience in one town in Iowa?

I think plenty of people would disagree (especially those of us living in Des Moines metro).
Maybe not, but I have lived in several city's/towns in Iowa including Des Monies, as well as lived in bigger city's outside of Iowa and its just my personal opinion.

Really it just all depends what your interests are, also for some people less is more.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 11,635 times
Default I love iowa.

Im from a rural area in north east Iowa. My entire family still lives there and I go back every few months. I have never been in a situation where any one other than my immediated family asked me about religion. In most small towns, there are 2 religions: Catholic and some sort of Protestant. However, everyone is very tollerant, kind and loving. My fiance is a black man and visits with me. Noone has ever made racist remarks to us even in the most po-dunk rural gas stations. He has even been to numerous church services and pancake breakfast. Every one is super kind. Its a great place to live except its sooooo cold.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 11,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post

There is a lot to do depending on where you are located. In the rural cities, we fish, hunt anything that is in season and shoot guns. there are amazing parks to hike in. Snow mobiles are fun in the winter and 4-wheelers in the summer. We have a house on the North Mississippi where we frequent all summer and do water sports like tubing. We even ice fish in the winter. We party and have fun with family, friends and neighbors. As for bigger cities, they are just like other big cities. Des Moines has some great restaraunts and areas to shop. There is always tons to do especially if your in one of the cities with a college.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM

28,703 posts, read 42,060,532 times
To the OP: Just like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa