U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,848,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
City life is more evolved than farming. Look at history.
Does that statement even make sense?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM

9,258 posts, read 17,893,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Does that statement even make sense?
Of course it does, at least to someone who has no idea what farming is and was completely unable to comprehend what I was saying in my post.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,848,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Of course it does, at least to someone who has no idea what farming is and was completely unable to comprehend what I was saying in my post.
gotcha.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:31 PM

2,945 posts, read 9,183,437 times
Why is everyone so touchy? The OP is just having a hard time fitting in and trying to vent. She isn'nt attacking Iowa or it's people...so let her be. You are just feeding into a negative perception or experience she may be feelin as it is.

Now, with that said, small town living in SW Iowa or Wisconsin or Indiana will be the same. If you have been here a year and are unhappy, you will have to either make changes and adapt to be happy or find a middle ground for you and your spouse where you are happier and he is still close enough to family.

Have you tried getting a job to meet people and keep yourself busy? If you have kids, do you socialize with the other moms? I am just thinking of things that you could do to try to integrate yourself more into the area.

Rural Iowa may not be for everyone, but enjoy it's pros, serenity, laid back, easy going lifestlye and nature...and that will make the cons seem less important.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 PM

9,258 posts, read 17,893,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Why is everyone so touchy? The OP is just having a hard time fitting in and trying to vent. She isn'nt attacking Iowa or it's people...so let her be.
(ahem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingChi-town
It is definitely difficult dealing with a smaller mentality here!
So, this is supposed to be complimentary?

I was feeling sympathetic and supportive until she tossed this bomb at us small-minded hicks.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
(ahem)

Originally Posted by MissingChi-town
It is definitely difficult dealing with a smaller mentality here!

So, this is supposed to be complimentary?

I was feeling sympathetic and supportive until she tossed this bomb at us small-minded hicks.
I think she meant small town mentality...as referenced in the rest of her post. Probably a simple typo...geez!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM

3,791 posts, read 5,134,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think she meant small town mentality...as referenced in the rest of her post. Probably a simple typo...geez!
I hope you're right for her sake. If what and how she stated that sentence was not a typo, her chance to ever fit in is totally dictated by her own attitude. Her chance for acceptance, zippo.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:11 PM

I agree with you. If your assumption was correct, you are absolutely right. I am just tryng to giver her the benefit of the doubt. Plus, I know first hand how attitudes change from city to country, so I can appreciate that issue...

I think in general, when people move somewhere, they are the ones who have to adapt as opposed to the community adapting to them. If they aren't able to, they need to move on or else they will be unhappy.

I also think the internet can help people who feel detached or isolated...but that doesn't replace one to one interaction....and I think if people have a hard time getting along in a new place, you have to look at yourself first.

Midwesterners are nice people overall. Just like I tell this forum to give the OP a break and benefit of the doubt, I do so in assuming people in SW Iowa are decent. There is probably just some miscommunication going on here.

If you have any pics of the area mid summer, I would love to see them posted. I love seeing a tall, green cornfield in the summer sun on the plains.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 AM

5 posts, read 8,568 times
Your about in between des monies, and Omaha just drive to either one of those city's to get some city type activities. Otherwise the best advice I can give you is find a hobby, because it doesn't get anymore interesting. Also keep an open mind, you might be surprised what you could learn from rural Iowa folks, and what you might have in common.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,415,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
City life is more evolved than farming. Look at history.
I think farming has probably evolved as much in the past few generations just as much or more than many other professions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or