U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,548 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I moved here to Iowa from Chicago a year ago after 15 years in that magnificent city! And boy am I bored. It is difficult to make friends here
in a small town. My husband is from here, that is why we moved here. I miss my friends and the city. It is so dull here sometimes I just don't know what to do. People are not very friendly here to outsiders.
Frustrated in IA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM
 
11,349 posts, read 14,092,345 times
Reputation: 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingChi-town View Post
I moved here to Iowa from Chicago a year ago after 15 years in that magnificent city! And boy am I bored. It is difficult to make friends here
in a small town. My husband is from here, that is why we moved here. I miss my friends and the city. It is so dull here sometimes I just don't know what to do. People are not very friendly here to outsiders.
Frustrated in IA.
Move back!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,548 times
Reputation: 12
Nothing would make me happier.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,795 posts, read 5,141,187 times
Reputation: 6997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingChi-town View Post
Nothing would make me happier.
My son lives in SW Iowa and echoes your sentiments about the boredom. It's a very rural environment.

However, he loves the people. They are very friendly, down to earth people who look out for each other. Traits you would have a hard time finding in Chicago. These people wave at you with their hand or index finger. In Chicago, they acknowledge you with their middle finger.

If you find that you need a big city atmosphere, Omaha and even Kansas City are a drivable distance depending on where is SW Iowa you live.
These cities are bigger with much more to do, but they are a long ways from Chicago's offerings I know.

I'm sure you don't want to here this again, but you'll just have to find a way to blend in with their slower way of life. People do things with other people here instead of always having to go somewhere to be entertained.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 11:38 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,548 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you so much for understanding! I really needed to vent. We go to Omaha every chance we can.

It is definitely difficult dealing with a smaller mentality here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
 
11,349 posts, read 14,092,345 times
Reputation: 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingChi-town View Post
Nothing would make me happier.
Are you there due to a job?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,795 posts, read 5,141,187 times
Reputation: 6997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingChi-town View Post

It is definitely difficult dealing with a smaller mentality here!
Careful. Your comment here might explain why you could be experiencing some difficulty fitting in.

I can assure you the knowledge needed to do some of the jobs (such as farming) that your neighbors do, far exceeds the intellect that a large percentage of Chicago citizens may possess to accomplish their job.

They may not have the "culture", but that doesn't translate into stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
 
11,288 posts, read 23,421,483 times
Reputation: 11190
You love the city and left the city and moved to a small town in Southwest Iowa. You aren't happy.

Not really sure what to say here, it's pretty cut and dry. My entire family was from the southwest side of Iowa (Atlantic, Red Oak and Stanton). I enjoy visiting down there, but I want my big city life in Chicago.

Nothing wrong with that area, it's just not for you. Either you live with it or you leave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,261 posts, read 17,908,696 times
Reputation: 12592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Careful. Your comment here might explain why you could be experiencing some difficulty fitting in.

I can assure you the knowledge needed to do some of the jobs (such as farming) that your neighbors do, far exceeds the intellect that a large percentage of Chicago citizens may possess to accomplish their job.

They may not have the "culture", but that doesn't translate into stupid.
Exactly. "Different" does not equate to "inferior."

You seem to need malls/amusement parks/concert venues/Starbucks/vibrant nightlife/whatever close at hand in order to find contentment. Your neighbors don't. So, who is really more evolved here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM
 
11,349 posts, read 14,092,345 times
Reputation: 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Exactly. "Different" does not equate to "inferior."

You seem to need malls/amusement parks/concert venues/Starbucks/vibrant nightlife/whatever close at hand in order to find contentment. Your neighbors don't. So, who is really more evolved here?
City life is more evolved than farming. Look at history.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top