U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,399,897 times

Advertisements

I was going to say - wasn't this finished 5 years ago in Iow?.

The Highway of the Saints is now finished as of 2008 (the last pieces were in Missouri). It's a 4-lane road from suburban St. Paul to suburban St. Louis. A large portion of it is already interstate standards, or at least 4-lane divided with controlled exits/ramps. There are many rural areas though with regular intersections along the route.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 02:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 55,998,845 times
We travel from the Twin Cities to the St. Louis area quite frequently. We travel down Highway 52 in MN vs using 35 because it saves us about 30 minutes on the trip. With the exception of 30-40 miles or so of this route, it is all at least 4 lane roads with 65+ mph speed limits (except going THROUGH towns like Cedar Rapids, etc.). It's a very pleasant drive actually, especially south of Rochester, MN and once you get south of Cedar Rapids into Northern MO.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,399,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
Yeah, the Iowa portion was completed in 2006, and the Missouri portion in 2008.

I also agree that they will probably start upgrading it to interstate standards eventually. After all, if the Iowa DOT is still working on upgrading other highways across the state to four lane (Hwy 20 between Fort Dodge and Sioux City, Hwy 30 between Ames and Cedar Rapids) then I don't see why upgrading the whole AOTS route to interstate standards would be too hard to imagine. I wouldn't expect it to happen in the near future, but like within the next couple decades maybe. I am of course specifically referring to the Iowa route (I don't know about the Missouri route).

As far as an official interstate goes...I know that's all up to the feds, but if the entire AOTS route is upgraded to interstate standards, and the economy starts doing better, I think it would be very likely to happen.
What you see on the highway of the saints through Iowa right now IS the finished project. There aren't any other plans. This was the original plan, and its finished.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,845,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What you see on the highway of the saints through Iowa right now IS the finished project. There aren't any other plans. This was the original plan, and its finished.
...and with the tight budgets in DC, I also don't see any momentum for any additional money towards infrastructure than is absolutely necessary. This seems to me to be more of a nicety.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 PM

639 posts, read 895,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yes, I addressed that point when I said, "the Iowa portion was completed in 2006, and the Missouri portion in 2008."

My comment that you bolded was suggesting that, even though there may not be any "plans" at the moment, they may eventually (and gradually) upgrade the current route to interstate standards (though not an official interstate).

Again, I know the route is technically finished since it's all four lane now. But when you consider that the whole project was created in order to help spur economic growth and development in eastern Iowa while also connecting two major metropolitan areas in neighboring states, the current "finished" route doesn't seem very ideal. A large portion of the route, while still four lane, is not up to interstate standards (i.e. there are intersections and gravel shoulders instead of overpasses, underpasses, exits, on ramps, and paved shoulders).

Last edited by Stevie; 08-22-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 PM

639 posts, read 895,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
...and with the tight budgets in DC, I also don't see any momentum for any additional money towards infrastructure than is absolutely necessary. This seems to me to be more of a nicety.
I did address earlier that I don't think this is something that would happen in the near future, obviously due to the economy. That doesn't mean it will never happen though.

And I'm not sure what you meant by nicety. Are you referring to something I've said?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,845,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
I did address earlier that I don't think this is something that would happen in the near future, obviously due to the economy. That doesn't mean it will never happen though.

And I'm not sure what you meant by nicety. Are you referring to something I've said?
I wasn't addressing anyone's comment specifically. Just making a general comment.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:20 PM

14,873 posts, read 18,770,136 times
Although it would be nice for a Freeway connecting STL to STP but we should be using money to make High Speed Rails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa