Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 16,038 times

Advertisements

It's a huge move, I know! But I have a job lead there so I've been trying to research the area and possible apartments. I've seen mixed things about SC on these forums but the posts are a little older. I was hoping to get a more recent take on SC and also get some suggestions on apartment rentals. I will be living by myself so safety is a priority. Also, any suggestions on where to buy furniture since I would be driving my car there packed with whatever I can fit in it, but will not be able to take furniture. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 AM

17 posts, read 41,726 times
I have personally never lived in the city, but have only visited. I'm pretty simple when it comes to the topic of where I want to live. My expectations are these:

There must be a Starbucks within 40 miles (there are two in Sioux City, in Hy-Vee on Hamilton and a freestanding location in the Southern Hills mall area).

There must be decent shopping more than just Wal-Mart in the area. I'm talking a decent mall (Southern Hills does a good job), a Target, and some other stores (there's Shopko here :-) ).

Sioux City has LOTS of shopping for the area such as:

3 Wal-Mart stores (Singing Hills, Floyd Blvd., South Sioux City)
Big Kmart
Target Greatland
Lowe's
Home Depot
Southern Hills mall
Lakeport Commons including PetSmart, Old Navy, Justice, David's Bridal, Gordman's, Kohl's, Rue 21. and more.
Best Buy
TWO Staples Office Supply Stores
THREE Hy-Vee Food Stores
FOUR Fareway Stores
Shopko
Several Walgreens including a 24 hour location downtown
and lots more.

Also, a lot of chain restaurant dining, too such as Golden Corral, Chili's, IHOP, Texas Road House, the state's only Great Steak and Potato Company, the state's only Five Guys Burgers and Buffalo Wild Wings.

...that's about it lol.

Sioux City has its share of diversity (mostly due to South Sioux City, Nebraska) of hispanic culture, but if you can live past that, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't locate there.

Just keep in mind that Sioux City is the only place for miles. All of Fort Dodge, Omaha and Sioux Falls are more than 100 miles away, so be prepared to live in the city full time. Also keep in mind not to just go off of my opinion alone. I only visit there, not live there.

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM

5 posts, read 16,038 times
Thanks! That's pretty reassuring. I'm glad to hear there are actually some stores I know there. Also, I won't be able to actually see the town or apartment I move into before moving, so if someone could give me a general description of the actual town, that would be great. Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM

12 posts, read 53,183 times
Sioux City is a pretty quiet place which is good if you like a slower pace. I like vibrant cities with energy around town. Unfortunately, that's just not Sioux City. There are a few decent community festivals and events every year, but they are few and far between. Sports are low level and poorly supported. Somehow, Sioux City does get a good number of concerts, but it struggles to support live music outside of large touring mainstream artists. Bar owners have trouble even getting people to pay a small cover charge for live music. Basically, most nights and weekends in Sioux City are uneventful.

As previously mentioned, Sioux City has the typical chain stores. However, retail and dining are pretty ordinary in Sioux City. Aside from groceries, your options are limited. It's still a relatively small metro though so that's what you're going to get.

The biggest problem in Sioux City is its poor business community. It's hard to find a good job there so hold onto it if you have one. There used to be a few bigger companies in town, but they have since moved or closed. So there isn't much spin off business created either. There's not really a lot of entrepreneursip with high-tech start-ups or up and coming small businesses to invigorate the area. The city just never evolved from its meat packing days like other midwest cities did. The local economy isn't very diverse; food processing is still the main industry.

It's not all bad. Sioux City is very safe. Even when people warn you about a bad part of town, it's not that bad. And it's about a ten minute commute to anywhere in town.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 PM

14 posts, read 19,671 times
Do not move to Sioux City unless you want the joy of life drained from you. It is so dull and ugly that it will drain the life out of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa