U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 PM

14 posts, read 66,201 times

Advertisements

North Liberty has just what you need. OK, no big trees, but little baby ones...its a new area...15 Minutes and your in CR. You far enough away from the Univ that traffic is not as bad. New single family homes around $175,000 all the way up. Fox run area has enough kids to fill a bus.....and they do. All professional people, lots of kids, friendly neighbors. Big yards and houses have some character and size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 06:57 AM

80 posts, read 323,344 times
Before you look at physical areas, go to greatschools.net and look at the school ratings. Look for homes in the areas with the best schools. You will have better resale in those areas. I have lived in IC, CR, CF, and Ankeny (near DSM). The CR metro has many nice, family friendly areas. Check out schools first though. Best of luck.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 37,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
I used to live in Cedar Rapids. AVOID, I mean AVOID the South East side.
What exactly is the SE quadrant? For example, is it south of 29th street & east of 380?

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 AM

100 posts, read 499,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinabook4 View Post
What exactly is the SE quadrant? For example, is it south of 29th street & east of 380?

Thanks!
SE is everthing south of 1st Ave. (Hwy. 151) and east of the Cedar River. Looking at a map, its the eastern parts of the city, since 1st Ave actually runs northeast-soutwest, and the river runs northwest-southeast.

From my experience, the nicer, more family-friendly areas of CR are in the NORTH. Anything in Marion, Hiawatha, or northern CR should be fine.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post
From my experience, the nicer, more family-friendly areas of CR are in the NORTH. Anything in Marion, Hiawatha, or northern CR should be fine.

Good luck.
Thank you!

Really, we'd prefer to live in Dubuque, but I don't know that dh will be able to find a job there.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 PM

296 posts, read 1,188,679 times
Quote:
Cedar Rapids has a neighborhood called Wellington Heights that is considered by some to be our "ghetto." There are a lot of people who live there that are trying valiantly to clean it up, both figuratively and actually, but it is the area in which you are most likely to hear about gunshots, drug dealers, etc. Here is the neighborhood association website: Wellington Heights Neighborhood Association I applaud their efforts but just wouldn't want to live there.

However, there are lots of other neighborhoods on the SE side (which, as another writer pointed out, is essentially the East side). There are an astonishing number of gorgeous old homes around the Brucemore estate; there are a couple of brand new subdivisions south of Mt. Vernon Road between 34th and 42nd streets; I lived and know lots of people who still live in established but not historic neighborhoods on the SE side and they agree with other friends who live in similar neighborhoods on the NE side that there isn't much difference in the neighborhoods, just in how close they are to shopping and restaurant row.

One reason TO be cautious about the SE side is that, for whatever reason, Cedar Rapids has never seemed to successfully manage odor control at the sewage plant that is WAY southeast of town. There have been times that I have been visiting in lovely, modern homes or condos off of East Post Road and literally had to leave because of the smell. The NE side is more likely to get smells from industry, which I find a lot more bearable, but not everyone does. If it weren't for the sewage treatment plant, I'd definitely prefer to live on the SE side, where there is more history, but that's just me.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,751 times
Commuting can be a drag. But if you want a relatively safe environment with great schools and friendly people, you can't beat Iowa City! People want to know why Cedar Rapids is less expensive and the people who have lived in both IC and CR, tell me that IC has more family activities, great education, and friendly people. Iowa City is also easier to get around in! I don't agree with the response about Iowa City being transient and not a good place to get to know your neighbors! Sure, there are people who move often because of the University. But there are also families that lived here for generations. All of my kids have chosen to make Iowa City their home. You can find any type of housing you want.
If you want to know more about Iowa City, contact me at deermx@mchsi.com. I am a REALTOR! I won't prssure you but I will give you any help you need to make the best decision for your family. Maybe North Liberty or Tiffin or Solon would work.
Best of luck to you!
Dee Miller, Re/Max Real Estate Center

Old 09-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
If it weren't for the sewage treatment plant, I'd definitely prefer to live on the SE side, where there is more history, but that's just me.
Thank you for all the info!

Does the sewage smell affect the entire SE side?

Old 09-04-2007, 03:01 PM

100 posts, read 499,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinabook4 View Post
Thank you!

Really, we'd prefer to live in Dubuque, but I don't know that dh will be able to find a job there.
If you're still open to the idea, check out AccessDubuqueJobs.com. TONS of available jobs there. Good luck with wherever you end up!

Old 09-04-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
If you're still open to the idea, check out AccessDubuqueJobs.com. TONS of available jobs there. Good luck with wherever you end up!
Thank you--he's checked there though & there's not anything in his field. Maybe something will come up in the next year or two though--we wouldn't be able to do anything before then anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or