Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:36 AM

19 posts, read 44,729 times

Advertisements

I have read quite a few posts on this forum about how "conservative' Iowa is, how 'clique-ish' the smaller towns are, etc etc. I am also aware that Iowa is designated a Democratic state, which would usually indicate that it is a more liberal, open state (and yes I am aware that gay marraige is legal there as an example). My question is what do you as the residents of the areas that you live in perceive the attitude climate is. Im contemplating a relocation to Iowa, however I am a very conservative republican and wonder if there is an area of the state that would be better suited than the other. I spent a couple weeks in the DSM are this past summer and was very impressed with the city and would like to move my son there for the better schools and considerably less gang problems compared to where we live now (Central Valley of California). Opinions? Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 04:15 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtqueen View Post
I have read quite a few posts on this forum about how "conservative' Iowa is, how 'clique-ish' the smaller towns are, etc etc. I am also aware that Iowa is designated a Democratic state, which would usually indicate that it is a more liberal, open state (and yes I am aware that gay marraige is legal there as an example). My question is what do you as the residents of the areas that you live in perceive the attitude climate is. Im contemplating a relocation to Iowa, however I am a very conservative republican and wonder if there is an area of the state that would be better suited than the other. I spent a couple weeks in the DSM are this past summer and was very impressed with the city and would like to move my son there for the better schools and considerably less gang problems compared to where we live now (Central Valley of California). Opinions? Comments?
I really don't see whether a state being liberal or conservative as a reason to or not move to that state. People are people and more determining factors in my mind to move someplace is economy, climate and cost of living.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-06-2010, 05:20 PM

19 posts, read 44,729 times
I find it to be very relevent. The sorry state of California has spent itself into abyssmal debt because of all the liberal politicians and constituants wanting to pay for programs and benefits for everyone with a pulse. They giving more rights and consideration to criminal in prison than the victims of the crimes they committed. California has the highest welfare rolls in the whole united states, paying out the highest amounts of both cash aid and food stamps and not to mention free medical carel. The illegal immigrants that make it across the border and procreate live on welfare and food stamps and their children are catered to in the schools with ESL programs more so than the children of the tax-paying citizens that actually support the school. There are no tutors to be had unless you cant speak english or are developmentally challenged and qualify for special education. They spend more money on housing a state prison than they pay starting school teachers, heaven forbid the felons in prison do without something. So yes, I find an over abundance of liberalism a definite deciding factor in whether to relocate somewhere

Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
As with everywhere else in the nation, rural areas tend to be more conservative than cities, and western Iowa is a little more conservative than eastern Iowa.

That said, most Iowans aren't so liberal nor so conservative that they can't get along well with members of the opposing political party. If anything there'll be a little ribbing going on, just like there is between neighbors of, say German and Danish descent. Despite where you live, if you can keep discussions about politics and religion to a minimum and keep it light you'll make more friends.

I grew up in west-central Iowa. I'm a conservative and a Republican. Most of my family are Democrats, but I'm not even sure about all of them. I wouldn't have any idea how most of my (ex) neighbors in Iowa voted.

Gay marriages in Iowa was a court decision, not something decided on the election ballot, so don't give Iowans credit nor blame for that.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtqueen View Post
I find it to be very relevent. The sorry state of California has spent itself into abyssmal debt because of all the liberal politicians and constituants wanting to pay for programs and benefits for everyone with a pulse. They giving more rights and consideration to criminal in prison than the victims of the crimes they committed. California has the highest welfare rolls in the whole united states, paying out the highest amounts of both cash aid and food stamps and not to mention free medical carel. The illegal immigrants that make it across the border and procreate live on welfare and food stamps and their children are catered to in the schools with ESL programs more so than the children of the tax-paying citizens that actually support the school. There are no tutors to be had unless you cant speak english or are developmentally challenged and qualify for special education. They spend more money on housing a state prison than they pay starting school teachers, heaven forbid the felons in prison do without something. So yes, I find an over abundance of liberalism a definite deciding factor in whether to relocate somewhere
Liberalism is a word used over and over as a blame all by talk radio show host like Laura Inbred, Lush Limbaugh and Sean Calamity.

8 years of conservatism had disastrous results so I would say neither liberalism or conservatism has worked very well.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-06-2010, 07:07 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Where do people say Iowa is a very conservative state? Growing up in Iowa I never would have said that. For being a more rural state, I would have actually said the opposite of what you'd assume.

I'm guessing it's just people from the coasts who say that only because it's white/rural/midwest?

Iowa is pretty progressive, but not bleeding heart liberal. It's a state where the conservative and liberals tend to meet in the middle and actually discuss things as opposed to just sitting in their corners of the room screaming.

That said, western Iowa tends to be the more hard core conservative area, and Des Moines and points east are more "liberal". Again, liberal isn't going to be crazy tree-hugging San Fran. More just live and let live. Two gay men love each other and want to get married? So be it - what business is that of mine?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Where do people say Iowa is a very conservative state? Growing up in Iowa I never would have said that. For being a more rural state, I would have actually said the opposite of what you'd assume.

I'm guessing it's just people from the coasts who say that only because it's white/rural/midwest?

Iowa is pretty progressive, but not bleeding heart liberal. It's a state where the conservative and liberals tend to meet in the middle and actually discuss things as opposed to just sitting in their corners of the room screaming.

That said, western Iowa tends to be the more hard core conservative area, and Des Moines and points east are more "liberal". Again, liberal isn't going to be crazy tree-hugging San Fran. More just live and let live. Two gay men love each other and want to get married? So be it - what business is that of mine?
I agree

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Iowa cannot be identified as a reliable "conservative" or "liberal" state, unlike most others in the Union. Since the 1960s the electoral college has voted for a pretty even number of Rep and Dem presidents.

On the other hand, Nebraska, Kansas, and the Dakotas can be counted on for voting Republican more often than not, and Illinois and Minnesota are decidedly Democratic (though if you take out MSP and Chicago you'd have two deeply conservative states).

Iowa doesn't have a city that comprises 2/3 of its population unlike MN or IL, but it's also not nearly as sparsely populated as the Great Plains states immediately to its west, so that's probably a good reason why it's purple.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM

14 posts, read 43,403 times
Western Iowa is way more conservative than the rest of Iowa. It is almost as conservative as Nebraska, if that tells you anything. Sioux City might be the place for you. However, if the Des Moines area is where you desire to live, then Ankeny is your town. I haven't seen any stats, but I would guess that it's easily over 90% Republican.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Portugal View Post
Western Iowa is way more conservative than the rest of Iowa. It is almost as conservative as Nebraska, if that tells you anything. Sioux City might be the place for you. However, if the Des Moines area is where you desire to live, then Ankeny is your town. I haven't seen any stats, but I would guess that it's easily over 90% Republican.
Why Ankeny? Clive, West Des Moines, Waukee, Johnston....all Republican type suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa