U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking accurate information about Iowa; picturesque landscaping, down to earth residents, no traffic jams, excellent public schools, affordable housing, fresh air

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 PM

79 posts, read 348,562 times

Advertisements

Wow! I have to check out more photos from Dubuque. Didn't know there was skiing in Iowa. I'll have to bring the family out there one of these summers. It's about a full day of driving from Detroit.

Is your area flood prone? Lots of– unfortunately – flooding going on right now in the midwest... including right by where I live.. Quite a few neighborhoods had their basements fill with 3-4 ft of water..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 PM

36 posts, read 175,948 times
It seems that even the small towns in Iowa have a different set of 'issues' to deal with than metropolitan areas, though the residents of these smaller communites take their local problems (many of them are discussed here) to heart as much as big city residents.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:01 PM

100 posts, read 501,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgokid1 View Post
Is your area flood prone? Lots of– unfortunately – flooding going on right now in the midwest... including right by where I live.. Quite a few neighborhoods had their basements fill with 3-4 ft of water..
We don't experience flooding from the Mississippi River because the city fathers were wise enough to build a flood protection wall some 35 years ago. In 1965, the area was DEVASTATED by flooding, they said "never again" and we haven't had anything happen since.

There is, however, small-stream flooding in other areas of the city from time to time. As I said before, we have San-Francisco-type hills, so when it rains hard, things can get ugly in a hurry. Of particular concern are parts of the city's north (which is in a valley) and will have water running toward it from both sides during a downpour. As for the recent rounds of rain that are hurting the region, Dubuque has faired relatively well considering it's rained about every day for the last week or so. A lot of soggy yards, but so far, not too much flooding.

The worst of it is in Illinois/Ohio area, I think??

Old 08-29-2007, 08:24 AM

23 posts, read 107,854 times
Virgokid, there is some flooding of tributaries and small rivers. The Mississippi will flood in specific parts of the state (Davenport) when things get really bad.

It’s a nice place to live, though you seem to have somewhat of an idealistic view. LOL! I do think the countryside is very picturesque but I’m not sure about historic farms. Most farms are soaked up by corporations or by large wealthy farmers. The small-time family farmer is somewhat rare, and those who take that on often struggle financially. Iowa has its own problems like any other state, though it sounds like you are burned out on urban life and because it’s a small state with no huge urban center (and the problems associated therewith), it might be a good choice for you. I personally don’t think it offers great job opportunities unless you live in one of the cities and have a college degree. Even then, the salaries are mediocre (average income is $40K per family, though that seems low). I do believe you are right about affordable housing, though Iowa City and some areas near Des Moines would be the exceptions.

Meth has been a huge problem but that seems to be changing somewhat. Here's a report on that:

Iowa Meth Report: News: University of Iowa Health Care

Just don’t move here wide-eyed and awed and expect to find no negative aspects.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 31,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgokid1 View Post
Here are my thoughts on Iowa... keep in mind I've only driven thru the state a couple of times recently (from end to end)...

1) Historic picturesque farms, Green pastures and gently rolling hills that go on as far as the eye can see..

2) down-to-earth residents

3) no feeling of claustrophobia

4) no pretentiousness, no traffic jams

5) fresh air (except for maybe the pig farm areas and fertilizer)

6) excellent public schools & universities.

7) affordable housing for those who have a steady/decent income

Okay now add the negatives or at least maybe prove my positive thoughts.

Thank you! I loved every minute when I was in your beautiful state.
1. Thank you for taking the time to notice the landscaping. Iowa is beautiful in so many ways.
2. Most of us are down to earth here, wave at a neighbor and they will smile and wave back.
3.only in small apartments.
4. Traffic on the 235 can be bad during rush hour.
5. Ok mostly fresh air, some air can be stag. around the factories too.
6. GREAT GREAT schools.
7. Very affordable compared to other parts of the country.

Thank you again for enjoying Iowa. We enjoyed having you here.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 AM

358 posts, read 869,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post

The worst of it is in Illinois/Ohio area, I think??
Fort Dodge was all over the news with severe flooding. I have a friend who lives there, and a lot of homes had extensive flood damage, unfortunately.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:21 PM

195 posts, read 1,006,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post
I've lived in Dubuque my entire life (20 years). There are a lot of things to like about it, but its culture and uniqueness are what really sets it apart for me. Dubuque has a long, colorful history, and has many interesting places and buildings to see. Traditions are very strong here: Independence Day fireworks, festivals, county fair, high school/college football (we have 3 private colleges), summer concerts... they're all very popular and well-supported.

Dubuque is one of the few places in the state (or Midwest) with hills! And I don't just mean little knolls, I mean HILLS- like San Francisco. There are awesome views from many of the hills and blufftops, and several of them have large parks or institutions on top of them. Looking out over the downtown and Mississippi River from the "top" of Dubuque is breathtaking. We also are one of the only areas around with steep enough terrain to support skiing (yes, SKIING) in Iowa! Two ski resorts in the area.

I also enjoy the city's strong family atmosphere. Its big enough that there are lots of new people to meet, but small enough that you can get to know people well, and be friendly with them. If you're taking a walk in the evening, people will say "hi" whether they know you or not. That's nice. You're not just another face in the crowd.

I also like the fact that the city is growing and changing for the better. New stores, schools, parks, houses are being built, and older ones are being renovated. There is new life everywhere, and not all communities have such vitality and energy that we have.
I have sometimes compared Dubuque's hills with SF too, although I've never been to SF. I am glad someone else sees the comparison. Another really hilly place is Stillwater, MN. I love Dubuque too- the best city of the ''little Switzerland of Iowa''!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or