U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking accurate information about Iowa; picturesque landscaping, down to earth residents, no traffic jams, excellent public schools, affordable housing, fresh air

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM

79 posts, read 348,487 times

Advertisements

Here are my thoughts on Iowa... keep in mind I've only driven thru the state a couple of times recently (from end to end)...

1) Historic picturesque farms, Green pastures and gently rolling hills that go on as far as the eye can see..

2) down-to-earth residents

3) no feeling of claustrophobia

4) no pretentiousness, no traffic jams

5) fresh air (except for maybe the pig farm areas and fertilizer)

6) excellent public schools & universities.

7) affordable housing for those who have a steady/decent income

Okay now add the negatives or at least maybe prove my positive thoughts.

Thank you! I loved every minute when I was in your beautiful state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM

104 posts, read 311,487 times
You seem to be quite observative as I think you nailed it when it comes to an assessment of Iowa. However, dig deeper and you might find Iowa to be a bit "vanilla". I grew up in Iowa and while I found it to be an excellent place to be from, I'm very happy that I made the choice to move away to get a better idea of how others live and meet people from around the world. Iowa isn't know for it's diversity but that's not to say people aren't open to it..just depends on who you meet. I will say that residents of Iowa are very generous, hardworking and pleasant.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM

See, that's what I'm looking for in life -- to move my family to a place that is not the ghetto, not the materialistic suburbia that you find in most cities, and not a place overly congested. I like Iowa because I think it personifies down-home America. Although I do realize that all 50 states (except maybe Hawaii) have regions that also fit that category. I like Iowa because it's in the middle of it all, and yet is none of the others.. I like Iowa, because it's full of farms which I understand are totally vital to our food supply. I like Iowa because of what you say about it's residents. I like Iowa because it's not San Diego, nor Boston – but that's not because I think those cities are bad, rather that they do not offer much for quiet family life.

Would you say that the Iowa economy is changing, growing, shrinking or remaining stagnant? I assume other industries besides farming/agri are making their way into the state.

I've lived in other states and other countries and am quite ready to enjoy the american heartland.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 PM

100 posts, read 501,315 times
I would say that your overall descriptions of the state are accurate to a strong degree. Most Iowans enjoy the fact that the state provides an excellent quality of life with good schools, low-crime neighborhoods, and clean air and water. We pride ourselves on our work ethic, being able to produce everything from machinery, to crops, to ethanol. (By the way... the world's first computer was INVENTED in Iowa @ Iowa State University in 1939).
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgokid1 View Post
Would you say that the Iowa economy is changing, growing, shrinking or remaining stagnant? I assume other industries besides farming/agri are making their way into the state.
Keep in mind that Iowa is a large state, so it really depends on where you are. The economy as a whole is, however, changing. Agriculture is playing less and less of a role as farms are becoming larger and fewer are family-owned. However, the ethanol industry has become big business in the state, which is keeping farming very strong.

At any given place in the state, the economy is one of slow growth. However, there are certainly areas where the economy is shrinking as well as the population. You can find these areas in the south-central part of the state (South of Des Moines), the Northwest, and the North-Central. Generally, the Des Moines metro area, and east-central areas are growing the fastest. I live in Dubuque (east-central), and we have seen especially strong growth here, both economically and otherwise. Other strong-performing areas include Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. The eastern part of the state has the most developed transportation network, most of the large cities, and has relatively easy access to Chicago, all of which help its growth.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 PM

681 posts, read 2,833,943 times
DBQer is right on--let me add my .02 to his thoughts.

The overall trend in the state is urbanization. Starting on a county-by-county level, small towns and rural areas are giving up population/jobs to bigger towns in their area--county seats for example. The smaller county seats then are losing population/jobs to bigger "regional hubs", like say Ottumwa, Mason City, Burlington or Fort Dodge. These hubs, then are still losing out to the state's major cities, such as Des Moines, Cedar Rapids/Iowa City/Waterloo, and Council Bluffs--who are steadily growing. This hurts the small towns the most--but many are working to buck that trend.

Economically, the state seems to be enjoying a long period of slow but steady growth. We don't seem to suffer the roller coaster ride that other places have experienced, with the tech and housing bubbles popping. Traditionally, the maxim has been: north does better than the south--and the east does better than the west. Des Moines especially has enjoyed a boom lately.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Iowa

Well it sounds like I'd be very happy in your beautiful state. I am fed up with urban life.. I've lived everywhere and seem to enjoy small town life only.. Unfortunately money is the only reason why I'd probably have some difficulty settling in to my new rural-by-choice life. I couldn't be a farmer since I'm too lazy to do hard work (just kidding), but I would definitely try to get a job (when done with school) out there and perhaps move to the outlying areas rather than the city.

I honestly enjoy the smell of rural/farm living. I don't LIKE the smell of manure, but I like the smell of what it represents.. Happiness and solitude in rolling green hills and pastures. I love farms.

Anyone know if there is a big meth problem? I know that sadly a lot of rural parts of america have this problem, so I wonder if Iowa was perhaps spared the brunt of this misery?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgokid1 View Post
Anyone know if there is a big meth problem? I know that sadly a lot of rural parts of america have this problem, so I wonder if Iowa was perhaps spared the brunt of this misery?
In Dubuque (where I live) there was a meth problem, but its my understanding that it is now under control, and is in decline. You almost never hear about meth lab busts anymore. Part of the reason for this is that stores (statewide?) now require a person to show I.D. and give their signature when purchasing pseudophedrine (a meth ingredient), so it is much harder to produce. Also, the anhydrous ammonia tanks are being secured, and that is helping, as well. It was a "fad" to a large degree, and is dying down.

Just out of curiousity... where is it that you are living now that sounds so upleasant? Some place on the West Coast, I assume? If you're considering moving to Iowa, give the Dubuque area a look. I think you'd like what you find here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM

DBQr, no I don't live on the west coast, actually I just moved back to Michigan (detroit-area) from San Diego a couple of years ago. I liked the friendly-vibe of the west coast, though the housing prices and overall shallowness of society I was repulsed by. Now living here in Michigan (for the second time), I don't mind the midwest so much, but I definitely enjoy rural living much more. I like malls and a large variety of ethnic cuisines, as well as museums etc.. but I also like waking up every morning in a place that's quiet and serene with the sound of a crop duster in the distance or a rumbling mile long inter-state freight train. I think happiness can be found pretty much anywhere on earth, so long as you know what to look for... Not to get philosophical, but I definitely will look into Iowa much more.

I think it's been federally mandated that Sudafed and other generics containing the psuedoephedrine compound have stricter access control.. That's good that meth is a dying trend there.. I used to hear stories long ago about the trouble it's causing in the midwest/great plains states.

How long have you lived in Dubuque and what do you like best about it?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 AM

SharpeyeHawke:

Thanks for the info! It seems that Iowa is certainly on the upswing rather than dying. Would you say it's a fairly well-run state? I mean the current state administration anyway?

Also, how are state tax laws? Sales tax, income, etc..? Starting a business?

Homes selling quickly? New construction? I assume it's not like the once red-hot flip-crazy 'vironments like the west coast.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:27 PM

I've lived in Dubuque my entire life (20 years). There are a lot of things to like about it, but its culture and uniqueness are what really sets it apart for me. Dubuque has a long, colorful history, and has many interesting places and buildings to see. Traditions are very strong here: Independence Day fireworks, festivals, county fair, high school/college football (we have 3 private colleges), summer concerts... they're all very popular and well-supported.

Dubuque is one of the few places in the state (or Midwest) with hills! And I don't just mean little knolls, I mean HILLS- like San Francisco. There are awesome views from many of the hills and blufftops, and several of them have large parks or institutions on top of them. Looking out over the downtown and Mississippi River from the "top" of Dubuque is breathtaking. We also are one of the only areas around with steep enough terrain to support skiing (yes, SKIING) in Iowa! Two ski resorts in the area.

I also enjoy the city's strong family atmosphere. Its big enough that there are lots of new people to meet, but small enough that you can get to know people well, and be friendly with them. If you're taking a walk in the evening, people will say "hi" whether they know you or not. That's nice. You're not just another face in the crowd.

I also like the fact that the city is growing and changing for the better. New stores, schools, parks, houses are being built, and older ones are being renovated. There is new life everywhere, and not all communities have such vitality and energy that we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or