Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,103 times

Advertisements

*Allow a minute or two to load*

Took the 2+ hour trip from Des Moines to the Villages of Van Buren County in far SE Iowa to do some hiking and check out a pretty interesting little rural tourism destination in Iowa. Van Buren County is dissected by the Des Moines River, which played an important part in its history, since this portion of the river is navigable and once had riverboat traffic. There are a series of small towns referred to as the “villages” that are located every 6 or 7 miles along the river. All of the towns in the photos below seem to have historically been focused on the Des Moines River, and all seem to showcase it as its front door.

Van Buren County is extremely rural, with only 7,500 people left. The locals claim is that there are no retail/restaurant chains and no stoplights in the whole county, so they seem quite content with their quiet, rural way of life. I can attest, there are no stop lights in the county and the only chain business I saw was a Casey’s store.

The topography of the county is very hilly by Iowa standards, and there are some good mini-bluffs along the Des Moines River. It’s one of the most forested counties in Iowa, so it makes great topography for park land with several state forests and the gorgeous Lacey-Keosauqua State Park providing good hiking and recreation.

Van Buren County has done a tremendous job of marketing themselves as a tertiary tourist stop with a decent dose of antique shops, boutique stores, Bed & Breakfasts and historical stops. We made a visit on a blustery Sunday where things were definitely much quieter than I expected. I expected more tourists during prime fall color season and towns that had a little more vibrant economy. What I saw were typical economically depressed Southern Iowa towns with a little more interest because of the river history and small influx of outside tourism dollars propping up niche retail. Van Buren County was good for a day trip, mainly because of the nice scenery, but I thought the marketing claims trumped up more of an attraction than what really exists. This was listed in the well-known book, “1,000 Places to See Before you Die.” If I make it back, it will be to kayak down the water trail on the Des Moines River.

The first stop was the largest town and county seat of Keosauqua (population 1,100), which is centrally located in the county along a major bend in the Des Moines River. It’s a very spread out town for its size due to the hilly topography, and is just across the river from the Lacey Keosauqua State Park.

Coming into town on a new bridge across the river

All is quiet on this Sunday afternoon on Main Street Keosauqua.

Old Creamery Building

The Hotel Manning has been a hotel for a very long time.

Every small town needs a rocket slide. This one is on Keosauqua's riverfront park.

The Van Buren County Courthouse sits on a hill on the main drag through town, rather that situated downtown or on a courthouse square.

A few interesting houses, but this never appeared to be too prosperous of a town

County history/heritage museum with oldest school in the county.

This former hotel was a stop in the Underground Railroad

My photo isn't crooked, the barn is.

The next stop and most interesting of the towns along the river is also the smallest. Bentonsport was a former steamboat stop and grain mill town that once boasted over 500 people. Today it is literally a village of 50 or so people. This was a major river crossing point and stop over along the Mormon Trail, some of whom settled in the area and built beautiful all brick residences and businesses that still stand to this day. Bentonsport is more a living museum than it is a small town. It has a great history tour that details the purpose of literally every structure remaining, including the ruins turned public gardens of former mills. There are also some neat shops that are worth a stop, including a real life black smith and metal working shop.

Coming into town on the oldest metal bridge on the Des Moines River, which has been turned into a ped crossing to a twin town across the river named Vernon, Iowa.

The Mason House B & B is the largest structure in town

The adjacent caboose is used as an additional room in the Bed and Breakfast

Flood history of the building

Other commercial buildings in "downtown"

Small cottage along the river

Public gardens within the ruins of former grain mills.

Churches and houses

Beautiful church on a hill overlooking the town.

Next up is Bonaparte, population 468. This is the smallest designated “Main Street Community” in the US, and has the bones of a bigger town (it once had 1,000 people). The downtown is fairly well intact and has the most impressive riverboat area commercial structures of all of the towns. However, the rest of the town looked like a mess, with a very declining old housing stock. This was the site of a former lock and dam across the river that was destroyed by a major flood in 1903.

Historic bandshell on the riverfront

Not sure what this was historically, but it's a massive two story antique shop and fudge factory now.

The Bonaparte Retreat is apparently the place to eat in Van Buren County.

This building serves as a hotel now

And finally, a view of the American Gothic House and adjacent museum giving all the info you ever needed on Grant Wood’s famous painting

This is located in Eldon, Iowa on the edge of Wapello County next door.

Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,819 times
Looks beautiful.

I'd be curious to know about the state of the economy in the area, given that everything is rural and pretty much locally owned and operated. How are they faring compared to the rest of the state and the rest of the country?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Very nice. Thank you for sharing these pictures of villages full of charm and character!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM

323 posts, read 528,979 times
Thanks!! I found it enjoyable looking at your photo's. I was imagining myself there as I scrolled through. I would put this on my to visit list. You should get a kick back for the tourism company.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Looks beautiful.

I'd be curious to know about the state of the economy in the area, given that everything is rural and pretty much locally owned and operated. How are they faring compared to the rest of the state and the rest of the country?
SE Iowa is hurting economically, almost across the board. This county is about 20-30 miles to Ottumwa, Fairfield, Mt. Pleasant and Keokuk, so there's plenty of bigger communities surrounding it that are employment centers. I really didn't see too much industry in the towns I visited, so I'm guessing there are a lot of people used to commuting if they're not making money off agriculture. Looks like unemployment rates are just a touch over 7%. Keosauqua had a good-sized plant for Hill Phoenix Companies, which is a national designer and manufacturer of grocery store display cases and racks.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Very nice pictures and captions! Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa